Bighorn front Compartment

Jimmy

Hogan,

Call Customer Service in the morning. Ask for your Parts rep. Then ask them if they have any bike hitches in stock or if they can get some. If I recall correctly, the price was in the $125-$150 range.

Jim

Hogan, please let me know what you find out. Thanks!

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Will do Jimmy. I called and they are researching. Will get back to me then I will post to you.

Hogan

K

karykatz

If you call parts and Service they can help you get the Bike Receiver Hitch for your Bighorn if it has the brackets on the frame. I hope this helps.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey Jim,

Couldn't help but comment.......I see your getting hit from all sides (on forum & my emails) with the Bike Rack question.......looks like HL needs to rethink their position on the bike rack option and add in advertising so people know.

Someone could make a small fortune if they designed a do-it-yourself rear rack!!!!

On another note......The house is lookin good!!! I am thinking the future National Rally location needs to be the Gardens with your house as HL HQ!! :cool:

Lance

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Jimmy and others with interest in the rear mount bike rack. My report: Talked to HL parts department and they told me it was unavailable from them but to check with Lippert who built the frame and the receiver. That was a trip. After you get through the 12 step process with the auto-person, the first words out of their mouth is that using the bike hitch will void your warranty. Then, after much discussion and waiting on research, etc. they tell you that the bike rack receiver mount is dis-continued and not available. So, they do have a slide-out bike tray $683.02 complete with all parts to mount it.
I will begin looking at other folks campers that have bike racks on rear or tow hitch receivers to see what is available. The 68.5" width is probably standard. And if I have a a hitch receiver built to fit, I will be taking orders.

Jimmy

Hogan, thanks for jumping through the hoops for us, I will also "look around" and see what I can find.

Wharton

Our BH is a 2011. We didn't want the 1.25" hitch since all our stuff was 2". He found, I don't know where, a 2" that fit the BH. The only gotcha is the overhang of the rear of the trailer makes it difficult to get a bike rack on. In the end, we have bought an extension for the hitch, we will see how that works out this fall.

We have tried the receiver on the front in a previous trailer but found getting the bikes on and off was a problem. It was high up, no problem there, just stand on the truck. Handing the bikes down to my wife she couldn't handle them. After a split lip we opted for the rear solution with the extension.

lduguay

At the TN Rally, Butch from RVsForLess, said he has a guy that does the 2" receiver for the HL products for about $600 that HL is apparently OK with on warranty.

I believe Nathan, (Nabo), had one on his previous HL......maybe he can add some input!

I have asked Karen at RVsforless if she can send a pics of the receiver on a HL unit that I can post.

Would be great if someone developed a less expensive option.......but I do want it safe!!

Westwind

With my 3070 I have to be hitch pin weight concious, I would love to move the bikes from the front compartment to the rear of the trailer or the other side of the axles as little as the bikes weigh. Hopefully some of our resourceful members will come accross with a viable plan for all.

caissiel

This might help
http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Trailer-Hitches/Curt/13703.html
I see these receivers on many RV's, trailers and motorhomes.
I have used a 2" receiver for the past 15 years and the bikes have been on, every miles we travelled with our trailer.

Revision: This is my installation on the BC, and not a unit I bought. I used the existing square bumper and the rear equalizer frame to attach my bolt on 2 inch receiver.
I used the pics t illustrate the setup that has safely carried the bikes.

Attachments

• Hitch Detail View.jpg
    Hitch Detail View.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Bikes on Rack.jpg
    Bikes on Rack.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 41
  • Bike Held With Bungiies.jpg
    Bike Held With Bungiies.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 38
  • HPIM9084.JPG
    HPIM9084.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 48
  • HPIM9079.JPG
    HPIM9079.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This might help
http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Trailer-Hitches/Curt/13703.html
I see these receivers on many RV's, trailers and motorhomes.
I have used a 2" receiver for the past 15 years and the bikes have been on, every miles we travelled with our trailer.

The link you posted is interesting. A bolt onto the frame carrier hitch looks doable. Unfortunately, the photos you posted will not open into a larger view, so I can't get a better look at your install. At the rally, we saw one rig (can't remember their name) that had the Top Pop bolt on carrier on the pin box. Unfortunately, it's a Quebec company with no distributors outside of Canada and no pricing on their website.

Westwind

Able to enlarge the photos and realized that you had the straight wall on the back of your Big Country, unfortunately the Bighorn has the fiberglass cab and no rear bumper so that changes the ball game. The hitch that you showed could be fitted to the Bighorn but you would have to put a long extension on it and the whole assembly would have to hang under the power rear jack and the get tied into the frame of the trailer using extensions of some sort attaching the hitch frame to the trailer frame. A good welder would be able to fabricate a strong connection.
Don't know if Lippert would like that.

caissiel

I was aware, just wanted to indicate the bike rack and give Ideas.
The way I have it supported the hitch does not put bad forces on the bumper or stabiizer frame.
I would surely not tow with it, as the stabilizer frame might bend

Westwind

Thanks for the pictures, I need to crawl under mine and loosen up the covering so I can see what I've got to attach to and see if I could attach that Etrailer hitch. I like the ease of putting the bikes on a rack that doesn't require lifting over my head or lifting while bending over. Getting too old for that stuff, maybe lazy is more like it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for the pictures, I need to crawl under mine and loosen up the covering so I can see what I've got to attach to and see if I could attach that Etrailer hitch. I like the ease of putting the bikes on a rack that doesn't require lifting over my head or lifting while bending over. Getting too old for that stuff, maybe lazy is more like it.

I took a look under mine yesterday. There is enough frame behind the rear stabilizers to bolt it on, but the rear cap would require a long extension for the hitch receiver. Might create too much of a moment arm with two bikes on it. Not for the frame, but for an added extension and the bolts (puts them in shear). Figure with the cost of the hitch kit and getting some welding, you're pushing close to $500. If I get more info on the pinbox mounted carrier, I'll pass it along. For now, a tarp on the bed works. Our normal routine to the seasonal site is to haul them up on the second visit and take them home the trip before we haul the rig back to storage. I've got a Saris carrier for that to mount on the truck hitch.

lduguay

Check out the Bike Rack option below....Click the link below to see pics.

I started it as a new thread to make it easier to find when folks are searching for Bike Rack Options.

"Bike Hitch Options......with Pictures!!!"

I am looking forward to hearing what yall think!!

Lance

Westwind

That looks fantastic - now I know of someone who does welding and he can do anything, just I hear he can be expensive. I was thinking of doing a double receiver so I can mod the bike hitch to attach to both so there wouldn't be alot of movement when traveling.
If I modified one of these -

http://www.bikerackshops.com/vehicl...cks/two_bike_hitch_racks/xc_2_bike_tray_rack/

I would end up with a sturdy set up for the bikes for summer travel, but because we do alot in winter (to Florida) and spring (Long way home) the front compartment might be a clean dry place for them. Decisions - since I have another $500 to spend on the trailer this will be a future plan for sure.