Bighorn - Long term stay preparation

Browns-Dora-RdTrip

Full Time Traveler
We are staying for 5 months in a RV park for the 1st time. We have been traveling for 1 1/2 years with short term stays. What changes to setup should we do? For instance should we keep using hydraulic jacks, should we put boards under tires, and any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We stay semi-permanent in a park for my husband's work. We put blocks under our LevelUp to lessen the stroke of the legs. We put covers on our tires for UV protection. We are on gravel. We have boards one one set of tires to help level us since our site is not very level side to side. If we didn't those tires would be off the ground. Every so often we re-auto-level, because the ground does shift/move some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Browns-Dora-RdTrip

Full Time Traveler
We stay semi-permanent in a park for my husband's work. We put blocks under our LevelUp to lessen the stroke of the legs. We put covers on our tires for UV protection. We are on gravel. We have boards one one set of tires to help level us since our site is not very level side to side. If we didn't those tires would be off the ground. Every so often we re-auto-level, because the ground does shift/move some.

Thanks for the advice! Have a great day.
John

SNOKING

Here is the routine I have developed over many snowbird winters.

1. Get a clear sight adapter and put it between the trailer and the sewer hose.
2. I leave the black tank closed for a week at a time. Grey tanks open.
3. I form a pee trap in the sewer hose with a couple boards, one 2x and a 4x4.
4. To dump and flush, I remove the pee trap boards.
5. Close the grey water tanks.
6. Open the black water tank and turn on the hose to the built in flush system.
7. Watch the sight tube until I am down to just hose water coming out.
8. Go inside and do two full bowl super flushes. "Bomb the Pile!" Note: Full bowl means filling the bowl to the bottom of the upper rim.
9. Go back outside and view discharge.
10. Close the black water tank and run the flush water in for four(4) minutes. Do not let anyone distract you at this point.
11. Open and drain and repeat 10 again.
12. Flush a bit and verify that you have nice clear water coming out of the tank. If not go back to step 8 and start again.
13. When you have nice clear discharge, put the pee trap boards back the sewer line and fill the pee trap.
14. Close the black water tank and add about a minute worth of water to the tank with the flush hose.
15. Secure the flush hose. I have a little inline valve adapter at the side of the trailer and the other end gets turned off.
16. Open the grey water tanks and go add your chemical to the tank.

I have had the burping a couple of times, however the super flushes seem to have fixed that issue.

Having piles in not good!!

Chris

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
My last rig I was in place for 30 months straight and I didn't do anything different than you would setting up for the weekend. I didn't put tire covers on and I use a flojet sewer pump so I don't have the 3" hose. Three weeks ago I changed to this rig and my old one was loaded up and went 2k miles to my brothers to an RV park without issue.
I did have my auto level pads directly in the concrete and it was popping but I just switched to having a stack of pads under the jacks and releveled and it's quiet now.

Piperflyer

Get your rig washed and waxed, and do a good cleaning inside the rig. Other than that nothing changes from a normal RV stop.

rxbristol

+++1

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We park ours on a summer site from May thru September. The site is sandy/grass. I put pads under the jacks to shorten the stroke and don’t drop the inner section of the front ones. No lumber under the tires, but they are covered. Slides (with toppers) left extended all the time, too. Have even left the main awning out for a week or more while not there. I did invest in the Porta-Deck system and leave it up all summer.

B

BouseBill

Only think I have not seen mentioned is to every couple weeks wipe down the shafts of the level-up system to keep them lubed up and clean. I use WD silicone sprayed on a clean cloth to wipe them down.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Only think I have not seen mentioned is to every couple weeks wipe down the shafts of the level-up system to keep them lubed up and clean. I use WD silicone sprayed on a clean cloth to wipe them down.

Yes! I forgot to mention this. We try to do this as well.

SNOKING

We park ours on a summer site from May thru September. The site is sandy/grass. I put pads under the jacks to shorten the stroke and don’t drop the inner section of the front ones. No lumber under the tires, but they are covered. Slides (with toppers) left extended all the time, too. Have even left the main awning out for a week or more while not there. I did invest in the Porta-Deck system and leave it up all summer.

We really like have a porch all summer. So nice to walk up to the door. Section that DW is standing on pulls out to get trailer in and out. Chris

Speedy

Convert your sewer hose over to PVC hard pipe. The flex hose is not designed for long term sun exposure and will begin to leak.Sewer Line 001.JPG

farside291

While wiping your level up jacks down with silicone, hit the slide seals with the silicone as well. Also spray under and on top of the main slides to lube the seals and all other moving parts. Don't forget about the pin box if you have lube points on it. I spray the MoreRyde with the same silicone.