Bighorn Sailun tires

Brireey1600

I am having an issue with tire wear on 2016 Bighorn. The tires are wearing on both the inside and outside edges. They are wearing evenly on all four tire edges. I keep the tires at 110 psi and they are the Salun tires. The wear pattern is about 3/4" on both edges of all four tires. I researched this type of wear pattern and seems it is called rivering. Can this be corrected or is it a wear pattern on these tires? Could it be a problem with the correct align suspension? The tires have about 3-5 thousand miles on them. I am planning on changing the tires but would like to correct things if there is a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lou_and_Bette

Re: Bighorn Salun tires

By "wear" do you mean there is a ribbon of smooth rubber on the edges of the tires? My Salian tires are like this but it isn't wear. I had to replace 2of my tires due to road damage and the new ones came with this slick area on both edges. I think they are designed this way because of the skidding they do when making sharp turns. The groves in tires are for driving in the rain and not for dry surfaces the reason race car tires have no grooves

SNOKING

I am having an issue with tire wear on 2016 Bighorn. The tires are wearing on both the inside and outside edges. They are wearing evenly on all four tire edges. I keep the tires at 110 psi and they are the Salun tires. The wear pattern is about 3/4" on both edges of all four tires. I researched this type of wear pattern and seems it is called rivering. Can this be corrected or is it a wear pattern on these tires? Could it be a problem with the correct align suspension? The tires have about 3-5 thousand miles on them. I am planning on changing the tires but would like to correct things if there is a problem.

Maybe your tire gauge is out of calibration and you are not running the inflation that you think you are. "The tires are wearing on both the inside and outside edges." This normally caused by under inflation.

https://az184419.vo.msecnd.net/schneider-trucks/PDF/maintenance/Irregular-Tire-Wear-Seminar.pdf

I would call Simple Tire and talk to them about. However I believe I have read that G614's sometimes do the same thing. With your size trailer, I doubt that you are overloading them. You can get a tire tread depth gauge to monitor wear. Chris

Last edited:

NHCelt

This was always an issue of discussion back when we had a Carriage Fifth wheel and had switched tires to the G614 by Goodyear. Those and the Sailun are a very stiff tire . Long story short, and after much hand-wringing and loads of replies, it was pretty much concluded that it is normal wear. Goodyear also chimed in as such.

I had it on my G614s and now have the same wear on the Sailun. The wear is from turning.

padre44

Mine are wearing the same way on my 3570 and I noticed it after 5000 miles. I keep them inflated correctly, so that is not the problem. It looks like from these posts, that it is normal.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I want to say our Sailuns are also wearing similarly. I noticed this summer on a really hot day there were little "bits" on the tread edges, that looked like the bits you get when you use a pencil eraser. Only saw it that one stop, that one trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

Possibly the Sailuns use a little softer rubber compound than other makes and may wear out a bit sooner. If that is the case, it's fine by me knowing their track record is virtually blowout free at 60 mph.

With the G614s being about twice the price, it still is nice knowing we can purchase twice as many Sailuns as Goodyear's.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My GY G614's were that way new. Inside and outside edges are smooth by design. Sailun's maybe the same way.

jam20ster

Mine have worn the same, but as stated earlier believe this to be normal. My brother in law went to replace his e rated tires on his SOB with Sailuns, but could not find any for sale. Anyone else have any luck with finding any?

kableguy007

I just purchased my Sailun's directly from Tredit Tire who also supplies them directly to Heartland. I was able negotiate a better price by calling their Elkhart, Indiana location and then picking them up at a warehouse here in Florida. So far I am very impressed with the quality of these tires!

jgbagwell

Good Year G114

I have some new Good Year G114 tires. The scalloping on the sides is part of the design. It is on both sides of the tire on the shoulder part. These are H load rated, 17.5" tire. The pics are outside; outside top; inside; inside top.
G614 outside.jpgG614 outside top.jpgG614 inside.jpgG614 inside top.jpg

Sailun 637T HD ST TRAILER Tire
Sailun 637T HD ST TRAILER Tire.jpg

Mrz

I just took delivery of a 2017 Big Horn with Sailun tires and since I never heard of these tires I'm questioning their longevity and durability. Had another fifth wheel with May-Pop Westlakes and Akurate tire so I'm concerned about the Sailun's. Should I be concerned or are owners getting a better tire.?

dlw930

I just took delivery of a 2017 Big Horn with Sailun tires and since I never heard of these tires I'm questioning their longevity and durability. Had another fifth wheel with May-Pop Westlakes and Akurate tire so I'm concerned about the Sailun's. Should I be concerned or are owners getting a better tire.?

The G Rated Sailun S637 tires have a very good track record, in my mind as good as the Goodyear 614s. Based on this record, I recently replaced the 614s that came on my 2013 Landmark with new Sailuns at about half the cost. I had Sailuns on an older Big Country and never had any problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The Sailun tire has been around for at least 6 years.
Those that have them like them and I have heard far fewer problems with the Sailun than the Goodyear G-614 and at almost half the cost.

Peace
Dave

Ditto to Cookie's reply.
I just put a new set of Sailun's on my Big Country last April.
Last ones ran 7 years with never a problem.
I hear about way more trouble with the Goodyear 614 than I ever have heard about the Sailun S637.
Save your money, the Sailun S637 is a Premium Tire.

Hockster

Piperflyer

I put 11,000 miles on my Sailun tires last summer on all kinds of roads and the tread wear looks no different than the day I bought them. I kept the right amount of air in them and kept my speed no more than 65 mph 90% of the time when towing on them.

RandyDeb

Just my 2 cents: I have a buddy that has driven his gravel trucks for years and gets unbelievable amount of miles out of tires. Were talking 100's of thousands of miles on a set of tires. He said the key is proper pressure and don't get them hot. meaning keep the speed down. He and his son are on the road all season (8 months + -) in MN and only have tire problems if he runs over something on the road. Incorrect pressure and heat will get any tire.