Bighorn Tires (China Bombs)

jdfishing

My 2007 Bighorn came with a tire name I did not recognize (Karrier). For the past several months, I have followed the discussions on tire problems many Heartland owners have been having with the tires provided buy the manufacturer. I figured they were the exception. My tires were made in June 2006 and had less than 8000 miles on them. They were properly inflated, never exposed to the sun for long periods of time, no bruises or bumps, and visually checked for any signs of wear or fatigue just prior to my trip on June 1, 2010. The 5vr was within weight limits. On June 9th while decending a 6% grade in Oregon at 45mph, one of the drivers side tires blew. I managed to get the rig to the shoulder and had ERS put on the spare. I drove slowly 30 miles to the next tire dealer and had four new G14 tires installed. Upon checking the flat tire, I noticed a 6" slit on the inside sidewall, apparently where it initially blew. I am now convinced these tires are junk and I would highly recommend, like others before me, that if you suspect your tires are of an inferior quality, dump them, regardless of how good they look.

plumberdude

hey there jdfishing,
sorry to hear about the blow-out.
we needed to have repairs on our toy hauler(09 cyclone) and when doing so we found what we thought a divit on the side walls of the mission tires.After some investagating we found that TIRECO will not warrenty the tires because that is part of the mold.
they said that they have this on file,so if there is a problem then they would deal with it.(WRONG). With very few miles on the tires off the came.6 new michlin xp ribs went on.
good luck on your journey wherever it takes you.

pat

noobee

Karriers are made by Kenda: http://www.kendausa.com/en/home.aspx. Kenda has a very good reputation for wheelchair & bicycle tires. My previous 5er originally had Loadstars from Kenda which were replaced by Karriers under a recall of the Loadstars. Never had a problem with the Karriers.

CS

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When we had a tire replaced several years ago a tire dealer in Nappanee, Indiana told us the Karrier tires were junk and he had replaced a number of them due to failures. IMHO stay away from all Chinese tires. They are made from inferior materials.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
jdfishing,
Sorry to hear about the problems. I hope you made it to your destination without too much damage from the blown tire. We are sitting here in Winchester Bay right now with 21 other rigs from Heartland. Two more will get here tomorrow. Come on down and we'll buy you a beer while we trade stories of tires, etc.

Kristy

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
When we had a tire replaced several years ago a tire dealer in Nappanee, Indiana told us the Karrier tires were junk and he had replaced a number of them due to failures. IMHO stay away from all Chinese tires. They are made from inferior materials.
Not all China tires are bad just most. 'Maxxis' makes a great tire for the money, try to find a bad review. They don't make a G rated but the E's are rated at 3450lbs, it's a welcome overkill for my Sundance.