Bighorn vs Montana

Larry W

I have a 3055 and pull it with a 2005 Ford F250 diesel. In June we traveled from Texas through Nebraska to Yellowstone and then down to the Grand Canyon with no problems. That was a tripof 4,500 miles through mountains and the desert. You should have a good time with the Bighorn and a 3/4 ton truck.

Larry

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We have been looking at 5th wheelers for over a year. Seriously for about 4 months. Bought the truck 1st of June, A 2010 Ford F-350 Diesel Dually. We were almost sold on the Montana, until we were introduced to the Big Horn. We are seriously looking at the 3610 re, and will probably buy one before spring 2011. We have looked at so many trailers, and talked to so many owners. We have gotten so much information, and most of it has been so helpful in making our decisions. We have already made friends just attending RV shows and checking out RV camp grounds, RVers for the most part are sure friendly folks. We sure are looking forward to getting on the road and meeting many more.. New members. Larry and Donna

jimtoo

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The Heartland family is here for you if you have questions and I can assure you that you will receive answers,,, both good and bad. We do not edit out the bad things that happen on the forum and you will see some. But the good far and away out weighs the bad and the Heartland Factory is the best when it comes to help and service.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

aatauses

You are getting some good advice about pulling so I will not go there. One thing to consider that I found out about the Montana, dealing with parts. They apparently will only ship parts to a dealer and then you need to make an appointment with a dealer to get the part installed. We are full timers in our BH (3670) and have on occasion needed parts--just call HL customer service and they will walk you through what you need, how to install, and ship the part wherever you happen to be. This is a major issue when living in your unit.
We have had our BH 3670 for about a year and half and like it very much--you cannot beat the customer service you will recieve from HL
Enjoy your new rig
al

DRGalligher

Welcome, LarryKeever - we too had compared quite a few brands looking for our last RV. We looked several times at Montanas and at the Bighorns and decided on the BH for many reasons - ROI was the biggest thing with reputation of the customer service. Best of luck on your final decision.

5erWonk

I originally owned a Montana and was fairly happy with it. Issues however was the frame was rusting after only a few months after purchase, which is surprising living in the arid San Joaquin Valley. Keystone was not willing to do anything about it. I did not like the basement storage compared to my Bighorn 3055.

I towed it with no problem with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram CTD. Unfortunately and fortunately it was totaled six months after we bought it and we have been very satisfied with our 3055.

PSF513

Having never owned a Montana, I can not speak to that. However, I have a BH 3610 RE which I pull with an 08 2 WD F250 diesel with no problem. Beyond suspension, there is not much difference between an F250 and a SRW F350. They have the same engine, same transmission, etc. My 250 does a great job. If you are seriously thinking of moving up in trucks, I would suggest going to the DRW F350 for a couple reasons: Stability - more rubber and a wider stance on the road; Braking - again, more rubber on the road.

goodtruck

One of the biggest reasons we went with Heartland was the construction of the trl.There just seamed to be something wrong when you have different metals with electricity.this has a corrosion problem.In point the roof rafters in the Montana are stamped galvanized steel not aluminum.(unless they have changed in the last year and a half)

Charles,
I agree, this forum is great! You apparently are (or were) going through the same decision making process between Keystone and Heartland products. We've been favoring the Montana 3400RL as our preferred layout, but some of the Big Country and BigHorn models are ctaching our eye.

sbowman3

I have been in the exact same position. I went to Tampa RV show last weekend. Made my decision between Montana and Big Horn 3610RE. After much research I will be purchasing the Big Horn. It is built better for the most part. The layout is also better I think.