Bighorn - Water leaking from AC vent duct

Rjmchamp

During our PDI yesterday we observed a large amount of condensation building on the roof by the ac duct vent in the bedroom. As a result of that we started inspection all the vents which in the fifth wheel and identified that only 25% of the duct were blowing air. I've provided photos and help would be great needless to say we didn't take the fifth wheel home so it stay with the dealer.

2017 Bighorn 3970rd

Attachments

• IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 68

Rjmchamp

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Water leaking from AC vent duct

Ok, that would answer the question of why some don't have AC flowing out but I'm still concerned that only 2 of the 7 vents in the rear living produce AC I'm no expect just doesn't sound right. The large condensation build up next to the vent is one of the ones that isn't producing ac air

padre44

High humidity will cause this because there is no insulation between duct and ceiling panel. Poor design but I don't see what can be done now. Should have put insulation between duct and ceiling during construction.

danemayer

Ok, that would answer the question of why some don't have AC flowing out but I'm still concerned that only 2 of the 7 vents in the rear living produce AC I'm no expect just doesn't sound right. The large condensation build up next to the vent is one of the ones that isn't producing ac air

On the outlet side, you might remove the cover from the last round vent where air is coming out, and use your camera to take a picture of the inside of the duct, pointing toward the problem area.

jbeletti

During our PDI yesterday we observed a large amount of condensation building on the roof by the ac duct vent in the bedroom. As a result of that we started inspection all the vents which in the fifth wheel and identified that only 25% of the duct were blowing air. I've provided photos and help would be great needless to say we didn't take the fifth wheel home so it stay with the dealer.

2017 Bighorn 3970rd

Sorry to hear about your AC issues. I assume your dealer is working with Heartland to resolve this matter.

I have moved your thread out of the ATF and into the HVAC area of the forum as Heartland Customer Service will not be responding to your forum post. That said, you're getting some good feedback from other owners on your thread and while that does not resolve the issue, it may provide greater insight.

Wishing you all the best at getting this resolved, taking delivery and getting onto making some great memories.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Your air duct is two open rectangular channels from front to rear. One intake and one exhaust.
So with that said the AC unit 1 - 2 - or 3 will blow air out of the vents closes to them first "path of least resistance".
You can cover up the vents closer to the AC and you'll find more air flow further down to path.

I have 3 AC's and the and the system works perfectly. I can run the rear AC's at night so it's quieter in the bad room but you still get the cool air.
Hope this help
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Welcome to the Heartland family and forum.

There are a number of threads on the new whisper quiet AC systems and ducts. People have found several issues.

1. No dam(s) at to end of the supply duct. A section of pool noodle can be cut and push in place to create the end dam.
2. Sky light cut outs that cause leaks.
3. Leaks in the AC plenum.
4. High lip on registers cause air to flow over rather than out of the registers. Personally I turned all my supply registers to have the fins inline with the duct and the returns with the fins across the duct.
5. The inverted U duct not sealing to the top side of the ceiling panels.

Cell phone pictures as noted above help to identify to the issues.

Here is some reading.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...cting-design-issue?highlight=whisper+quiet+ac

BTW we love our 2017 BH3575el. We have lived in is most of the year. It now will be our NW summer home, as we built a new Park Model in AZ as a winter home. We plan on side trips in the winter in the SW with it. Which starts this fall with a stop at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta on our way to AZ.

Chris

dykesj11

As to condensate leaking into the bedroom vents, we had the same problem in our 2016 BH 3575EL. I called Heartland Service and they told me to take it to the dealer - there is a service bulletin for this specific problem with the Dometic ACs. Not a problem with the unit itself but with the installation. I think they said the Heartland installed according to the installation drawings provided by Dometic but there was some kind of error in the drawings. Can't find the emails but the email address was service@heartlandrvs.com

I took two recommendations from this forum to improve efficiency. One was the pool noodle section at both ends of the supply plenum as mentioned by SNOKING.

The other was to replace the bedroom and bathroom the supply vents with the adjustable vents pictured which are available at https://www.dwincorp.com/product/jet-stream-8850-fully-adjustable-large-rv-ac-ceiling-vent/. During the day, close off the bedroom vents, close the doors, open the bathroom door to the hallway. this moves most of the supply from the front AC into the living area. It has worked great. FYI, all the supply vents on the 3575EL are along the door side of the RV.
8850-photo-1.jpg

Rjmchamp

Dykes thank you for this information I guess fortunately for us we have yet to pay our dealership any money beside the retainer so in theory its still their problem in a since but it's is discouraging and concerning that Heartland and La Mesa would be will to move forward and pass this fifth wheel for sale given this known issue and lack of quality control.Using the email address you provided I went ahead and emailed Heartland inquiring about this known issue and asked for a fix so I can cross reference with what the dealer says. This info along with everyone help is so valuable. This forum group is outstanding the help we've received already make us know that this is absolutely a family environment.