Bighorns and Sliding Hitches

DRGalligher

Before buying our new Bighorn DH had a Hensley BD3 Trailersaver and sliding hitch installed "just in case". When we were towing it home, we stopped at the local fairgrounds and practiced backing it up with sharp turns and I watched the front of the fiver, not once did it come dangerously close to the cab. We have a short bed F250. Have any of you bought a slider only to find that you never needed it? With Hensley we have a 90 day return policy so was just wondering. DH is of the mindset to be prepared.

Two Hands

I have been towing my Big Horn with a short bed Chrevolet and no sliding hitch for nearly four years without any problems.

bighorn3370

DRGhalligher, this has been discussed many times. You can do a search to find more info. The short bed drivers a split on the slider hitch. Most say they have a slider and never need it. When I park my BH at home, the turning angle is sharp, and the grade of the drive is steep. Those two things will make the 5th wheel come closer than normal to the cab. What I am saying is that it's better to have a the option of the slider and not need it than to not have it and need it. Just my two cents. Ernie

jdfishing

I tow a Bighorn with a Chevy shortbed and purchased a slider hitch as I thought I may need it. Well, in four years of towing I have never needed it, and I have put that 5th wheel in some pretty tight spots. Having said that, I am still glad I have the slider because it only takes one time of needing it and not having it to ruin a trip. And that one time can come in a campground, fuel stop, wrong turn down a tight street and a host of other unforseeable places. Simply put, it is peace of mind. I carry a spare tire also, but sure hope I never use it.

DRGalligher

Thank you bighorn3370 and jdfishing for your feedback too. That's exactly what DH keeps telling me too. I haven't questioned him about it but was wondering so you've put my mind at rest. I'll tell him he was right and then he will ask me "about what?", then I'll have to tell him what I posted here and he'll just add "that's right, that's how I feel" and that will be the end of it. He's been vindicated. Thanks, again.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Had a SB Chevy, bought a slider 3 years ago. I have never used it......but......it could come in handy in some tight spots. When moved back your 5'er will respond quicker when backing up.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We have a slider hitch which we needed with our old unit but have never needed it with our Bighorn in 4 years.../Doug

ihsolutions

I have a Pullrite Superglide (automatic sliding hitch) and it slides all the time, but that's by design. I don't think I need it, really. I only have it because my previous fiver had a flat front, and would most certainly have hit the cab w/o a slider. I didn't ever want to fool around with a manual slider, so I spent the extra on the superglide.