Bike Hitch Option.....with pictures!!

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Lance I too have the 3250 TS so it looks like this would be a good fit.

Hey Bob,

I WAS fortunate to find Red Hot Welding, they are about 10 miles from my storage area. I dropped the BC off in the morning and picked it up later the same day.

Good Luck!!!

rbfdclark

Well here is my hitch built and attached. I used the plan and measurements from Lance, but added a flag pole mount and holder. I have a flag pole I got from Camping World years ago that came with the under tire holder. I usually place it under my front jack, but with my Bighorn, it won't work due to the awning being larger than my previous trailer. So I had my buddy who did my welding weld one on the right rear and then custom build a mount that will plug in. I have a new bike rack on the way and can't wait to hit the road. I will try to attach pictures...

Clark & Robin
My bike rack.jpgP4250001.jpgP4250003.jpgP4250004.jpgP4250006.jpgP4250007.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Now, if somebody would just market that as a bolt-on kit, compatible with a 2009 BH3670...

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader

GREAT JOB.....And I LOVE the flagpole mod!!!!

I gotta do this again with the new BC! Might wait till I get closer to the 1 year warranty expiration
:rolleyes:

rbfdclark

Just received my new bike rack today, put it together and hung it on the back of the trailer to see how it fits... Like a glove!!! No more bikes inside the rig!!!
Bikes 2.jpgBikes 3.jpg

Clark & Robin

LeeRox

I have a BC 3070RE on order and would like to mount a bike rack on the back. Is there any problem with obscuring the license plate since it is now mounted in the middle instead of on the left side? Also, would I void the frame warranty by having a welding shop do the installation?

jimtoo

Hi LeeRox,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Some units have a rear hitch option available now. Call your dealer or Heartland Customer service and check it out. If you do a frame modification, adding a hitch, it will most likely void your frame warranty. So call or visit your dealer and listen in when he calls the factory.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy when you get it.

Jim M

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Clark & Robin, That's awesome. We have the same bike rack that we use with our trucks' 2" receiver and with a mounting bracket on our TT's bumper. We got our rack at CW about a year ago. The brand name is Swagman and it might be cheaper on line. We ordered the hitch option on our Bighorn but it will be 1-1/4". So we got a 1-1/4" to 2" adapter and are ready to role!

Of course, it would help if we had our new rig. We ordered it the end of February and we're told it is on the road this week. Maybe, just maybe we'll be in it next week :)

Just received my new bike rack today, put it together and hung it on the back of the trailer to see how it fits... Like a glove!!! No more bikes inside the rig!!!
View attachment 24143View attachment 24144

Clark & Robin

rbfdclark

It is made by Swagman, called an XC... Purchased it from etrailers.com. comes with an adapter for either 1 1/4' or 2" hitches.
Haven't gotten to take a trip yet, but hope to soon...

Schultz14

I built and installed my hitch this week end. I copied Iduguay’s (the original poster) design. I used 2” square tubing with a .250” wall thickness. For the angles I used 3” X 4”, .250” thick. The 4 inch leg gave me and extra inch I needed to clear my stabilizer jacks. My stabilizer jacks have a 2” spacer between them and the frame.
I used 7/16” grade 8 bolts to fasten the hitch to the frame. Actually the nuts are grade 5, everybody was out of grade 8 nuts. I’ll replace them with grade 8’s when I can get some.
I have 2 questions, not everybody has welded their hitches to the frame. Is there a reason for not welding to the frame?
I want to add a couple beads to each angle to trailer frame location, near the 7/16 bolts.
Any thoughts?
The next step is buying a bike rack to attach to the new hitch. Anybody have any recommendations on a bike track? We’ll be carrying two mountain bikes.
Thanks for reading and any comments you might have.
augie
IMG_0316.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 166

Bones

I built and installed my hitch this week end. I copied Iduguay’s (the original poster) design. I used 2” square tubing with a .250” wall thickness. For the angles I used 3” X 4”, .250” thick. The 4 inch leg gave me and extra inch I needed to clear my stabilizer jacks. My stabilizer jacks have a 2” spacer between them and the frame.
I used 7/16” grade 8 bolts to fasten the hitch to the frame. Actually the nuts are grade 5, everybody was out of grade 8 nuts. I’ll replace them with grade 8’s when I can get some.
I have 2 questions, not everybody has welded their hitches to the frame. Is there a reason for not welding to the frame?
I want to add a couple beads to each angle to trailer frame location, near the 7/16 bolts.
Any thoughts?
The next step is buying a bike rack to attach to the new hitch. Anybody have any recommendations on a bike track? We’ll be carrying two mountain bikes.
Thanks for reading and any comments you might have.
augie
View attachment 36165
View attachment 36167

I wouldn't weld this because you may never know if you need to replace that rear stabilizer your crossing over. This looks really good and I will add it to my list of mods to make.