bike rack

brianlajoie

We bought a Surco ladder rack to hold our two mountain bikes. So far we've traveled almost 9k miles with no issues. In addition to the rack attachment points, I use three straps, a bungee cord and a cable lock - the bikes have no room for movement or bouncing on the ladder. I check the bikes eack time I stop for gas or before we travel down the road.

justafordguy

I just installed a Motogroup 2 bike receiver hitch rack. We have a trip planned next week so I will report back after I see how it does.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have a universal (adjustable width) 2" receiver hitch welded to my BH frame. We've carried our bikes all over the US without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duramax1

I have used a Swagman bicycle rack on my Sundance for a number of years now with no problems. Swagman sells a receiver hitch which is bolted to your bumper for attaching the rack to your RV.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have had several bike rack styles but now have folding bikes that ride in the basement. The answer to the question is NONE in my opinion. We had a hitch mounted platform (lost our kids bikes). We had a ladder mount (Almost lost one from there). Our last swagman rack was the last straw! We will never hang anything on the back again.

jbeletti

At the SE Region Rally in Myrtle Beach, SC recently, I saw a bike hanger on the rear ladder of a Heartland unit. The bikes were not on the rack but the ladder was "really messed up" from the bouncing weight the bikes added.

I've had several 1-1/4" receiver hitch style bike racks at the rear of my coaches over the years. Like Deb B's experience, mine wasn't good long-term.

I'd rather have a welder/fabricator make up a 2" receiver hitch for the rear of the coach where I coud use a sturdier bike rack that I've had in the past. I'd be sure to strap the bikes down well in addition to anything the bike rack offers.

I feel this can be done right - I've just never had one done right yet.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have a universal (adjustable width) 2" receiver hitch welded to my BH frame. We've carried our bikes all over the US without issue.

If we had our bikes along on this trip I'd add a picture to this. Our bike rack, can't remember make, is probably 15+ years old and made from heavier materials than today's made from recycled tin cans I'm sure. We've had it on every type of vehicle we've owned and now it comes along, most times, on the back of the BH. We have it mounted in a heavy 2" receiver the bike rack is also strapped down to minimize bounce plus the bikes clamp down between 2 plates. They're solid. That's the key.

Edited

AAdams

Picking up on what Jim was saying about the 1-1/4" hitch Here is a link to a hitch that lduguay from HOC posted on fabricating a 2" hitch for a 5th wheel. The design appears to be a very sturdy one. It looks like several people copied the hitch, maybe some of them will chime in on the durability and what rack they use.

Miller0758

What worked best for me was rather than install something on the coach to carry bikes, install a hitch to the front of my tow vehicle and use a hitch mounted carrier.

Geodude

We've used every kind of bike carrying contraption out there. The best was the trailer we had with a bike bay. Second best, IMHO, has been on the roof of the TV using high-end gear such as Thule trays, but not always practical when your TV is a pickup or SUV. Rear carriers have always been a problem, with that whipping motion at the back -- both for bikes I've carried that way, for the guy whose bikes flew off in front of us, and for several friends who lost or nearly lost bikes off the back.

Which brings me to our Bighorn. My plan, since we don't intend to get a washer and dryer, is to turn that space into a bike storage closet. We have high end road bikes and keeping them bolted down, clean and secure is important to us. I'm planning a vertical storage solution, in that space.

caissiel

Made a bike rack with 1 1/2 square tubing attached to 2" receiver. Been carrying our bikes for the past 17 years.
They are held to the rack with 4 small buggies.
The requirements are a proper 2" receiver with heavy duty metal.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our current 2013 Heartland Trail Runner has the slide-out bumper bike rack, which is kind of a PITA to strap the bikes to, but as we have been looking around for a new trailer and none of the ones we've been considering (Heartland Elkridge or Prowler 5th wheelers) have them . . . now it seems that none of the other options for bike transport are as good.

Hhhhmmmmmmmmm . . . .

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg