Black expanding foam

fritzwell

Unsure if this is the correct forum for this question. Is there a problem using the expandable spray foam found at hardware stores, rather than the black stuff found in most all RV's ? Had a leaking vac breaker on the Black Tank Flush and the water lines pass thru several dead space areas and need to fill in the voids where the lines pass thru.

Thanks, FW

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Actually you can get black expanding foam at a large building center like Lowe's or Home Depot.
Look for it in either the caulk area or the outdoor area.
But to answer your question I see no reason that you could not use the yellow stuff if it is rated for exposure.

Peace
Dave

Bones

Actually you can get black expanding foam at a large building center like Lowe's or Home Depot.
Look for it in either the caulk area or the outdoor area.
But to answer your question I see no reason that you could not use the yellow stuff if it is rated for exposure.

Peace
Dave
Look at the fireblock stuff. I think it may have a higher rating for UV exposure if your want to get that stuff. But they do sell the black foam. I think it is called something like pond foam.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Here is one of the pond foam types that I use.
Menards tends to carry this in both their outdoor area near their pond materials and in their paint department next to glues.

http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/pond-and-stone/

It tends to stay black for quite a long time.

The orange fireblock foam I used outdoors breaks down over time. It still is orange but has worn away more readily than the black stuff that had sun exposure.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought some yellow foam at Ace Hardware last week to use around the landing gear in the basement.

$6 for the can . . . used half of it . . . seems to be working good so far!

fritzwell

Thanks to all for you help, I've found the Great Stuff pond seal at Lowes just need to get there and pick it up.

When we finally got our unit home back in April I was looking things over before our first trip. One of the things I found interesting was the amount of construction debris that was actually everywhere, even found it in the light shades in the bathroom. After locating and removing the Vac Breaker in the Black Tank Flush plumbing lines, any idea what I found in it ?
I'm not a plumber and don't know if it contributed to the leak, but, come on Heartland how's about cleaning these things up before delivery ? Obvious to me the dealers ain't doing it.

Thanks again to all for your help.
FW

CarterKraft

I believe you can paint the foam for better UV resistance. You might test this first before doing it on the trailer.