Black tank chemical treatment necessary?

Just wondering if I should add checicals after each trip with a little water when storing between trips. Or are the chemicals only needed to address problems? Any chemical brand reccomendation a would be appreciated if this is something I should add after each trip.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that most people use some sort of chemical treatment in their black tank. What's it gonna hurt.
I don't use any treatments and have no problems.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

I generally don't use treatments either and have no trouble.

We use a lot of water.

And, I do put some treatment in if the unit is going to sit for a few weeks in storage.

Grey Ghost

We always use the treatment stuff, plus after we drain the tanks I put in a solution of Dawn dish soup (one part) and three parts of water softener. We let that splash around on the way home and the next time we go camping all is clean and smells good also. Just some trick some old wise camper taught me years ago and Ive passed it on the kids and others at times. Cheap easy way to keep sensors clean and the tank smelling nice!!:cool:

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have never had any black tank smell issues and we always use chemical when we are stationary. When moving we do the dawn and fabric softener treatment and then drain when full. I usually try and put about 20 gallons into let it slosh around. We do the same with the kitchen sink gray tank as well because we have had unwanted smell issues with that tank.

Piperflyer

I just used the dawn and clean water treatment in all my tanks that I heard about.. Drove 500 miles with the clean solutions in my tanks. Dumped all the tanks and now all the Fill Capacity Lights are working fine. They haven't worked well in awhile. I also do add a packet of deodorizer to my black tank after every dumping.

tessa

we don't anything in the black tank, even after a week we don't have any odor issues.

olcoon

I've bounced around on this issue. Years ago I had a travel trailer on my property in the Missouri Ozarks that I used as a cabin. Didn't know anything about campers back then. A friend said to put some chemical in the tank & I did until I ran out, and didn't want to go into town for just that. I never got any more, as I didn't notice a problem. When we got our 5th wheel I still didn't use any, but noticed that when I dumped the tank, there were solids coming out & undissolved TP, even using the recommend type. Got to wondering if I should start using something, & heard about a product called Unique. I use it all the time now, & it's GREAT! Now when I dump the tank, all that comes out is brown liquid, and I don't see any TP pieces. I've even gotten to where I use the same TP that we use in the sticks & bricks. There aren't many places that I've seen that sell it, but you can order it from Unique directly (LINK) or get it on Amazon. It costs around $12.00-$13.00 for 32 oz. in an RV store, but Amazon has it a little cheaper. The first time you use it, & each time you flush the tank, you put in 4oz, and every time you dump it takes 2 oz. Now I buy it by the gallon, so I've always got it on hand.

esscobra

always used the same walex packets- never had issues- but I flush black tanks well after dumping- and then add water and a packet - ready to go on next trip- I am not full timer but use at last once month and 5 1-2 week trips per year

Thank you, everyone! This is some really good info. We will be doing our first trip the first weekend in May.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MP_CS

We use the pure power blue liquid. I dump some down toilet before it gets filled and then after i flush tank before departure i will add some with a few gallons of water. Knock on wood my tank sensors have always worked. I also dump alittle down the sink drain to deoderize the grey tank.

olcoon

One thing that I forgot, & I've only seen a it mentioned once, is that water is your friend no matter what you use, or don't use. I'll fill the stool with water 3 times after I dump so I've got a good head start, and don't get a poop pile in the tank.

NYSUPstater

With our old coach. we did the GEO method and had decent results. Capful of water softener, capful fabric softener (el-cheapo works) and 10 gallons of water when all done and draining other tanks and black tank is flushed until water is pretty much clear before adding said products. Then toss in 1 "stick bomb" (we call them) chemical packet and all set till next time.

Our rule of thumb is: 1 flush for 1, 2 flushes for 2. Then any extra water we use from boiling corn or salt spuds, once cooled, goes into tank as well. Goes along with what others are saying about water being your best friend in black tank.

Overall, sounds like a lotta steps, but IMO, it's worth it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I use the Camco orange packets (I call them 'toilet mints), or the green ones if I can't find the orange ones.

They can be found at Camping World or the RV section at any WalMart.

I alway put one in even if we are not going to use the trailer for awhile, and also leave one in the black tank over the winter along with whatever amount of RV antifreeze may be down there.

I haven't had issues with the light sensors reading wrong, but I think when we come home from our next HOC Rally (Ft. Collins, CO - about a 50 mile drive) in three weeks I will try the Dawn soap and fabric softener thingy and stop at the local Cabella's and use their tank dump.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Been using Happy Camper and Costco TP. No problems with most everything dissolved. If used in the gray water tank before servicing the valve seals, there isn't any smell. If you don't use anything, then you may need one of these in the future - http://www.adventurerv.net/camco-sw...rtsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle

I have one of those left over from our previous bumper pull trailer.

I was going to give it away at one of our Colorado HOC Rallies last year, but decided to keep it despite having built-in black tank rinse.

Figured it is better to keep it as a back-up option, plus I used it after our final 2016 trip last fall (Natl. HOC Rally in Las Vegas) just to make sure the tank was completely clean for winterization.

Bob.jr

I use the blue powder stuff. Because I've been told my poop stinks. 😆

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk