Black tank flush

lynds876

Black tank flush broken

Ours quit working on our Sundance 2880RLT. Worked fine earlier in the season. We think after traveling that something may have changed its functioning? We can hear water pouring into the tank but it doesn't sound like its spraying or the "running" sound we were hearing earlier in the season. Our gauge on the black tank is reading full all the time and we think something is covering it and would like to use the flush. Any suggestions on where I should direct my husband to start looking?

jam20ster

Re: Black tank flush broken

Something that has worked for me in the past is the fill black tank with 5-10 gallons of water and then put about 2 bags of ice with it. Then drive around and let the sloshing motion of takeoff and stopping scrub the tank. I have used this method several times with my last RV and has always worked.

mbopp

I've found a toilet wand to be more effective than the flush system.

TxCowboy

I've found a toilet wand to be more effective than the flush system.

How does the tank wand work if you have a bend in the plumbing? I think my black tank pipe takes a bend under the floor before it connects to the tank.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Be SURE that the sound you hear is the water running into the tank and not the water coming out of the anti-siphon valve and running down into the closed area behind the basement walls. Put a clear adapter on your sewer outlet and run the sprayer with the tank valve OPEN to be sure there is flow. But even if the sprayer is working as it should, once a sensor gets gunked up, the sprayer is relatively ineffective unless you run it for an extended period (30 minutes or more) and have a good water pressure at the inlet. Even then, it's not a guarantee.

TxCowboy

Be SURE that the sound you hear is the water running into the tank and not the water coming out of the anti-siphon valve and running down into the closed area behind the basement walls. <snip>

John, some of the stuff you post scares the crap out of me. No pun intended!

Please tell me you didn't experience that situation yourself. :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

How does the tank wand work if you have a bend in the plumbing? I think my black tank pipe takes a bend under the floor before it connects to the tank.

You may need to force it past the elbows. I have two 60-deg. bends in mine. But, trying to run it off the lavatory faucet does not generate enough flow (for me). Best bet is to bring in a hose from the water supply to power it. For my floorplan, that would mean running a hose under the rig, in the door and up the steps to the bathroom. Might give that a try next week at the CG as I'm closing it up for the season to bring it home (to the storage yard).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I don't know if I have ever heard mine have a spraying sound....just that water is running. Tank gauge's are normally worthless. The GEO method seems to help.

GOTTOYS

Haven't looked at my tank gauges in years. The toilet will "burp" when the tank is full as the liquid level will block the vent. I use my flush every time I dump. All I can hear is water running. Use a clear fitting on the hose connection when it starts running clear you're done. Forget the tank level sensors, they never work....Don