Black tank nightmare!!!!

Devi1Dog

Ok, this is going to be a bit lengthy:

On a hot day in August 2014, approximately 107 outside, my black water tank fell out the bottom of my 2014 Silverado which I purchased in November 2013 brand new. I then spent the next 2 weeks in Odessa, TX, attempting to resolve this issue so that I could come home, 800+ miles away. I then contacted the dealer, Kent Mitchell Rv Hammond, LA, that I bought the RV through and Rene, the Warehouse Manger, advised me that he would make sure that we were placed in the front of the line for repair work due to us buying our coach from them. Drove the 800+ miles back home and upon arrival we were told that it wouldn't be more than two weeks. We unloaded our stuff that we were going to need and left.
Approx. 3 weeks later I called Rene to get a status update of the trailer and was advised that they were still waiting on the clearance for the warranty work to begin. I then contacted Heartland RV and asked about the status and was advised by a Heartland rep that Kent Mitchell hadn't even ordered any replacement parts. I then contacted Kent Mitchell and spoke with Rene about this and he stated that they just received the ok to order parts. This has been about 4 weeks into this ordeal. I then went to pick up my coach and about 2 weeks later I was contacted by Rene who stated that the parts were at their location.
I then unhooked from the KOA that I had been at for the last 2 weeks and towed my coach to Kent Mitchell. After dropping the trailer off I took my wife to a mini vacation. About 3 days into the vacation I was contacted by Rene who stated that Heartland RV had sent the wrong parts, the black water holding tank, and that I should call Heartland RV due me possibly getting a better response from them than he would.
I was extremely po'd at even this notion coming from him. It wasn't my place to contact the company about warranty work. I advised Rene that I would contact them and I did. I spoke with Jamie Justice, a great rep to work with, and he stated that he didn't know how the wrong tank had been sent but that he would have it taken care of and expedite the tank. I was contacted about 2 days later and Jamie stated that the new tank was on its way.
I then tracked the tank, with the tracking number that was sent to me, and saw that it arrived today. I then went to Kent Mitchell and spoke with Rene and he stated that it was in and that they would work on having the trailer ready by Thursday.
I just received a call from Rene that Heartland has again sent the wrong black water holding tank. He stated that the tank is fine but that the holes for the sewer are drilled in the wrong locations. He stated that his workers have sent pictures as well before the second tank was drilled. AND IT'S STILL WRONG!!!!! IT HAS BEEN 3 MONTHS AND I STILL DO NOT HAVE A TRAILER!!!!! This is completely uncalled for. I NEED MY TRAILER!!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HEARTLAND PRODUCT unless this can be fixed ASAP!! I WILL NEVER BUY NOR RECOMMEND KENT MITCHELL RV HAMMOND, LA TO ANYONE EVER FOR ANYTHING!!!!!

porthole

Retired
The whole RV industry needs a wake up call on how to do warranty repairs.
Or, if you can't fix 'em - don't build 'em.

If the automotive industry worked like this the roadways would be empty, except for delivery trucks.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My advice is stop going to dealers for repairs. I hate to say this, but many dealers are totally inept when it comes to repairing the rig they just sold you. There have been many folks who thought Heartland was the problem, when in the end, most times it was a repair facility not communicating effectively.

It's amazing that when I was fulltiming and sitting in front of the service manager, they were able to get my parts from Heartland and get me back on the road in a day or two. On the other hand, when I drop the rig and leave, it takes weeks, or even months "to order and receive the parts", or "waiting on Heartland" for the same repair. Why is that??

Find a good independent repair shop and make sure Heartland will authorize them to do warranty work FIRST.

Repair is their bread and butter, so they tend to be more focused on getting you back on the road. Good luck. Trace

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My advice is stop going to dealers for repairs. I hate to say this, but most dealers are totally inept when it come to repairing the rig they just sold you.
Find a good independent repair shop and make sure Heartland will authorize them to do warranty work . That is their bread and butter, so they tend to be more focused on getting you back on the road. Trace

My dealership always made me feel like the bad guy whenever they didn't stand up to our arrangements during the warranty period.

That has cost them any future purchases from me.

B

BouseBill

Wow, I really feel for you guys. We have purchased three 5th wheels from the same dealer over the past 14 years and would buy another new one tomorrow...oh wait we just did a month ago. Yep from the same dealer. Johnnie Walker RV in Las Vegas. Best dealership in the U.S. as far as I'm concerned. Great on warranty work and even provides an overnight space if required. Fantastic service to full-timers, I can only say thanks Johnnie for being a great Dealership.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I have bought my last 2 Heartlands from Rich & Sons RV in Grand Island, NE. They are great to work with and a family owned business now in the 3rd generation. They called me before the warranty was up on my Elkridge and said to make sure everything was ok. I checked my roof and the rubber was separating. I took pics of it and sent to them and it was fixed in 3 weeks from their call. There are good dealers around.

JohnD

I have bought my last 2 Heartlands from Rich & Sons RV in Grand Island, NE. They are great to work with and a family owned business now in the 3rd generation. They called me before the warranty was up on my Elkridge and said to make sure everything was ok. I checked my roof and the rubber was separating. I took pics of it and sent to them and it was fixed in 3 weeks from their call. There are good dealers around.

Hey Gregg . . . how are you guyz doing?

Maybe when we are ready to upgrade, we'll have to go out there to look for a new trailer!

Although we plan on keeping our Trail Runner for at least 10 years . . .

By the by . . . finally got the topper installed on the new truck!

Here it is:

TruckOnLookoutMountain-IMG_20141010_134015656.jpg TruckTopper-IMG_20141004_142131159.jpg

gwalter

Looks good John. They definitely are willing to deal. Skyguy bought his Bighorn there.

JohnD

My dealership always made me feel like the bad guy whenever they didn't stand up to our arrangements during the warranty period.

That has cost them any future purchases from me.

Let me clarify this statement . . .

Whenever I took my Trail Runner in for warranty repair, I never once rushed them or put them on a deadline.

I gave them however much time they said they needed to do said repairs, and always arranged said visits so that we didn't have to rush them to get it back for us to use for a planned campout.

We would set up a drop-off time and they would give me a pick-up date . . .

They would never update me or call me me to let me know that it was ready . . . and I never called them to bother them for updates, thinking that they would have the trailer ready for me on the day they told me to pick it up!

However, each time I would call them on the date they told me it would be ready, it never was ready . . . or if they told me it was ready, when I arrived at the time they told me to come in, the techs were always still working on it and I'd have to wait several hours before it was 'done'!

And many times, I'd get home only to find that half of the issues were not fixed, and some were never ever addressed!

As much as I'd hoped to be able to give them a good dealer rating . . . I just can't!

And as I said in my earlier post, I'll never buy from them ever again!

And I'm embarrassed to say . . . six months after we bought our trailer, my neighbor bought a 2014 North Trail from them after seeing our Trail Runner . . . I hope they don't have the same issues we've had with them!

Our dealership was at the I-25 and Highway 119 exit near Longmont, Colorado . . . thats all I'll say (other than to say it wasn't Windish RV)!

They did everything to get the sale . . .

But could care less about their customer once they got the RV sale.

Must be that they make enough on the RV sale that any follow-up service doesn't matter . . .

JohnD

Looks good John. They definitely are willing to deal. Skyguy bought his Bighorn there.

Cool!

Hope to see you all at the spring Colorado HOC Rally!

We are going to the Arizona HOC Rally in January, 2014 . . .

Not sure if there are any spaces left . . . but it looks like it is turning into one of the biggest western US of A HOC rallies of all time!

We are leaving a couple of days early so we can spend a couple of days at the south rim of the Grand Canyon . . .

jimtoo

Cool!

Not sure if there are any spaces left . . . but it looks like it is turning into one of the biggest western US of A HOC rallies of all time!

We are leaving a couple of days early so we can spend a couple of days at the south rim of the Grand Canyon . . .

Your gonna be LATE John. :)

gwalter

I have been following the Quartzite thread. Garry has done a great job in getting the Arizona chap going. Enjoy your trip there and hoping for good weather for you guys. Maybe we will see you at a Meet and Greet this winter. I winterized this week and hopefully wont be too long waiting for next years first trip.

Cool!

JohnD

I have been following the Quartzite thread. Garry has done a great job in getting the Arizona chap going. Enjoy your trip there and hoping for good weather for you guys. Maybe we will see you at a Meet and Greet this winter. I winterized this week and hopefully wont be too long waiting for next years first trip.

I know . . .

The only thing worrying me about this is bad weather when it is time to leave for this trip!

I pulled our trailer on it's maiden voyage in the snow when we took it out for the first time ever over Christmas 2012 in Loveland, Colorado . . .

Campout2012-PC250007.jpg Campout2012-PC270054.jpg Campout2012-PC260022.jpg Campout2012Kitchen-PC270045.jpg Campout2012Spicy&Marcy-PC260025.jpg Campout2012SpicyChecksEmail-PC260023.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg

Was kind of a scary pull . . . although at that time the 4-wheel drive on my old truck had died, so that was a major problem!

However . . . no matter what . . . we are committed to this trip!

And can't wait!

Somehow I have a feeling that I will be the recipient of those socks that Garry won at the Colorado Springs 2014 Spring Rally at Mountaindale, Colorado . . .

HOCRally-IMG_2210.jpg

I'll let you know! :p:rolleyes::cool:

TandT

This thread sure went sideways away from the OP. What ever happened to staying on topic?
Where are we now?? Trace

readytohitheroad

Isn't the real issue here as to why the black tank would fall out of a brand new rv? If the tank had not fallen out like it did the rest of the OP's issues would not exist.

TandT

Isn't the real issue here as to why the black tank would fall out of a brand new rv? If the tank had not fallen out like it did the rest of the OP's issues would not exist.

It would be helpful to have a better picture of the OP's failure.
I have to assume the OP was driving with the tank(s) full. I only carry a small amount of fresh water until I am near my destination, then I fill up if I am going to be dry camping.
I minimize driving with my grey and black tanks full and will normally go to the nearest dump station before hitting the road.
I worry about the excessive amount of weight with full tanks bouncing and sloshing down the road. JMHO Trace

jnbhobe

I think if its built to be towed down the road it should be able to do it with all tanks full. I have checked my tanks and braced my water tank so I know nothing is going to fall out. As a side note this is not just a Heartland problem, I have braced up tanks in a lot of different trailers.