Black tank valve seems to be not opening

Mbutto01

Hi I have a 2015 big country and been having toilet issues. Tried boiling water had a guy come out to try to suck out the black tank but really didn't get anything out of it which leads me to believe the dump valve isn't opening all the way or am I missing something? Any advice would help cause can't use toilet right now and sensor says tank is full. Read up a little on it and I'm going to open the wall behind the master control box and was wondering where actually I need to open the under belly to see the valve and if there is a way to manually open it or tell if it is open. Pictures would help. Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
About the only thing I can add is do not trust the tank sensors.
Just because it says it's full does not mean it really is.
Are you having trouble flushing? Do you use a lot of water when flushing?

Peace
Dave

Oregon_Camper

Is this a new RV?

If not, did the black tank valve ever work?

When you pulling the handle in the UDC and you "feel" the valve opening/closing?

How long has it been since you were able to empty?

Here is how the plumbing is configured on my 3160EL. You can call Heartland with your VIN to get yours.

Capture.jpg

'Lil Guy'

Like Dave says, the sensors are really not that accurate. Have you ever ran fresh water into the fitting in the UDC for the toilet to flush it. I run mine full if I have the time after I dump the tank just to help clean it. I did it twice after our last long trip and my sensors seem to read right now. Hook you hose up to the fitting and have your partner watch the toilet. Let it run for 15 minutes if it's empty. Just don 't over fill it and build up pressure on the tank. Then pull your valve and see if you are getting any water out of it. It's good (IMO) to put a lot of water in it at 1st along with the chemical before you use it. If you're at a full hook up, over flush it to keep a lot of liquid in it. Good luck with your issue.

Mbutto01

It's been about a week. It feels like it opens but don't think it is opening all the way. I will try to look further into it in the morning.

Oregon_Camper

It's been about a week. It feels like it opens but don't think it is opening all the way. I will try to look further into it in the morning.

A week total?

Remember those tanks are BIG (~45 gallon in yours??) so it takes a while to fill them up. (unless you drink a lot of beer and eat at Taco Bell :) )

rxbristol

I bet you have the opposite problem...your tank valve is not closing all the way and water is leaking out so when you go to empty very little or nothing comes out. The danger of this problem is that solids are accumulating on the bottom of the tank.

Oregon_Camper

I bet you have the opposite problem...your tank valve is not closing all the way and water is leaking out so when you go to empty very little or nothing comes out. The danger of this problem is that solids are accumulating on the bottom of the tank.

I would think this theory would create a HORRIBLE smell that the OP would notice.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Try backflushing the gray tank into your black tank to see if the gray flows into the black tank.

This should also help dislodge a blockage in the black tank.

I'm not sure if all toilets are the same but on ours we can turn off the water, step on the pedal and look right in there with a flashlight. You may have a big toilet paper clog? Get a stick and poke it down there. Can you feel it hit the bottom of the tank? As others said the sensors are pretty useless. For reference we have 3 of us using our 30 gallon black and we've gone 9 days on it and probably could have done a few more. Ah, the joys of RV life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

Use a back flushing fitting. You would be suprised what comes out after using it.

25c56c1f-3c35-4c9b-a456-96f13f3b4b4c_1.9142bab2100f32ab4b15c714178ea0c4.jpeg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Use a back flushing fitting. You would be suprised what comes out after using it.

25c56c1f-3c35-4c9b-a456-96f13f3b4b4c_1.9142bab2100f32ab4b15c714178ea0c4.jpeg

I would try this before doing anything else. There is a possibility that the cutout made when installing the toilet drain fell into the tank and was left there (not uncommon). It may have found it's way to the tank outlet and is blocking it, even though you can open/close the valve. Backflushing should push it out of the way.

If you do try to backflush and you find there is an excess of pressure at the sewer outlet, then it's a good bet the tank valve is not opening, even though the cable may feel like it's moving. It may have become disconnected from the valve blade. To access it, you will need to locate where the tank/valve is located and cut an opening in the coroplast to access it.