Black Water Routine

BigGuy82

This isn't our first RV but it is the first one with the black water back flush connection standard. I just thought I'd pass along the procedure I'm using to insure minimal black water problems.

Every time I set up camp, I hook up two water feed lines - a blue/white hose to the fresh water intake and a black rubber hose to the black water back flush input. In campgrounds that provide two water bibs, this is easy but for those with one bib, I use a heavy duty splitter to provide two bibs. I, of course, run the potable water and leave the black water shut off.

When I break camp (or every few days if I'm set up for the long haul) I switch off the fresh water and switch over to the black water flush line. Before flushing out, I usually allow the gray tank to partially fill also (usually a couple of morning showers do this). I drain the black tank and follow that with the gray. I then close the black and fill it to at least 2/3 through the back flush. I leave the back flush water run as I drain the black tank a second time and then let the water run for another 5 minutes or so.

This seems to keep the tank very clean and running trouble free. It cleans the sensors, gets rid of more solid waste than just a single dump (you can see how much a single drain misses just by looking at the clear pipe in your drain line) and so far, I haven't been plagued with any foul odors in the coach. I, of course, also use a liberal amount of the "blue stuff" once I close the black valve. It's an easy procedure made possible by the very convenient built in back flush in my Bighorn.

Piperflyer

I do the same with the black tank, but you better never get side tracked filling the black tank to flush again. Could have a big mess on your hands

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Your method sounds much like mine. I let the black tank fill up until it burps, then just as you do, I drain the black but I then backflush the tank, filling the tank two or three times, draining in between fills of course. When the black tank is reasonably clean-looking at the clear section of sewer hose, I shut off the drain, leaving a few gallons in the black, then turn off the flush hose and use the gray tanks to flush out the sewer hose. I use one of the "pocket hose" to do my tank rinsing and only use this hose for this and washing the truck and trailer when allowed.

This method has worked for me for years. I'm just super careful not to get distracted when flushing the tank. Please don't come over to visit while I'm doing this chore.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have a separate hose for my black tank flush all set up with my quick connect system.
I DO NOT hook up my black tank flush line until I'm actually going to use it and monitor it.
What if the faucet didn't shut all the way off and you had a small trickle running into the tank without you knowing it.
You could end up with a big mess. 1 less thing to worry about.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a separate hose for my black tank flush all set up with my quick connect system.
I DO NOT hook up my black tank flush line until I'm actually going to use it and monitor it.
What if the faucet didn't shut all the way off and you had a small trickle running into the tank without you knowing it.
You could end up with a big mess. 1 less thing to worry about.

I do it the same as most here, except that I use the gray water to backflush into the black tank to knock down any potential clogs.

As for having the water not shut off to the tank flush and overflowing the toilet . . .

This year at the AZ Rodeo Rally in Tucson one of our members had a flood in the bathroom, living room and basement.

And of course a waterfall from the basement doors onto the ground below.

Turned out that the last time the toilet was flushed the water didn't shut off all the way and while we were having the evening festivities in the meeting hall, someone came over and informed the crowd of the issue.

Luckily, since it was fresh water flowing at the top it didn't run the bad stuff from the bottom of the black tank.

But, it has made me shut off the water whenever we leave the trailer as you never know when something simple can turn into a major PITA!

Plus, every time I flush . . . I always check to make sure that the water has stopped filling the bowl.

Garypowell

Same proceedure here but the valve I shut off when refilling the black tank is the extra valve at the end of the RV's drain line.

My theory is that since the first two realeases are fairly dirty water I don't want to shut the black tank valve and potentially push/trap stuff in that valves seal area. Once I have filled and flushed the black tank 2 - 4 times the water is clear coming out and I am done.....that's when I shut the black tank's valve.

Having to to replace a black tank valve one was enough fun once....don't want to do it again so I use this proceedure to stay as far from trouble as I can.

SNOKING

Here is the routine I have developed over the last three winters.

1. Get a clear sight adapter and put it between the trailer and the sewer hose.
2. I leave the black tank closed for a week at a time. Grey tanks open.
3. I form a pee trap in the sewer hose with a couple boards, one 2x and a 4x4.
4. To dump and flush, I remove the pee trap boards.
5. Close the grey water tanks.
6. Open the black water tank and turn on the hose to the built in flush system.
7. Watch the sight tube until I am down to just hose water coming out.
8. Go inside and do two full bowl super flushes. "Bomb the Pile!" Note: Full bowl means filling the bowl to the bottom of the upper rim.
9. Go back outside and view discharge.
10. Close the black water tank and run the flush water in for four(4) minutes. Do not let anyone distract you at this point.
11. Open and drain and repeat 10 again.
12. Flush a bit and verify that you have nice clear water coming out of the tank. If not go back to step 8 and start again.
13. When you have nice clear discharge, put the pee trap boards back the sewer line and fill the pee trap.
14. Close the black water tank and add about a minute worth of water to the tank with the flush hose.
15. Secure the flush hose. I have a little inline valve adapter at the side of the trailer and the other end get turned off.
16. Open the grey water tanks and go add your chemical to the tank.

I have had the burping a couple of times, however the super flushes seem to have fixed that issue.

Having piles in not good!!

Chris

Roller4tan

I use the timer on my phone when filling the black tank with the flush, and turn it up loud in case I get distracted.

avvidclif

I use the timer on my phone when filling the black tank with the flush, and turn it up loud in case I get distracted.

I agree with the multiple flushes. One thing I do different is use a gauge to see how much water is going into the black tank. In the past I have timed it for 5 min and dumped. And under normal circumstances 5 min would put in from 5-10 gal (found out after I got the gauge). Not enough for me. Before dumping I check the inside gauge, if close to full I just dump the first time and when it start running clear I close the valve and put in 30 gal and dump again. If that's not clear I repeat.

The gallon gauge made a lot of difference in the time it takes. I didn't realize how little water I was adding in 5 min. It takes 15-20 min to put in 30 gal.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
All three of my tanks remain closed until it's time to dump the black tank. The only exception is Gray #1 gets opened if we're running loads in the washing machine. When it is time to dump, I first open the black tank valve and then turn on the tank flusher after a minute or two of it draining. I let the flusher run (10 - 15 minutes) after the bulk of the tank has drained until I see "clean" water coming through the clear adapter. I close the gate to the black tank and recharge the tank with about 6 - 7 gallons of water (I have a water meter in my system). I then dump Gray #2, followed by Gray #1.

Since we're stationary through the summer, occasionally I'll run the tank flush longer after dumping. In the spring after dewinterizing in the storage yard, I'll add 10 -15 gallons of water with Dawn to the black tank via the toilet to slosh around on the road as we haul it up to the CG. Once there, I dump and flush.