Black water tanks. Flushing and cleaning questions and comments

Mattman

Question that came to mind while leaving the campground from the weekend. I was at a full hook up site. I drained my black water tank, and did not use my flush at the site. Is flushing your system at the site with the potable water safe for the next user. I know there has been some talk on here about it. My NT has a seperate in put for it. But is taking the potable water there for it good practice. It is seperated at the dump station. But no mention at the full hook up. It shouldnt cross contaminate
Unless I created back pressure on the tank.
Next is just an observation. How many people don't seem to flush there black water tanks. When I got home I tied mine into my septic tank and out my clear fitting on and flushed it. I am.still amazed how much extra $#!+ Comes out. The few used campers I looked at all had Mis readings on there black water tanks from the TP. I don't think people really know how much crap is still in side there tanks. My old camper with out the flush system I used the adapter and sprayed up in there and opened the toilet and sprayed the hose in. I got a lot out that way. Mine says to only use it with the waste valve open. But I crack the toilet open and let it build and drain several times until it comes back clean. it really seems to keep the smell down in the next go around as well. Just my observation.

mlpeloquin

Question that came to mind while leaving the campground from the weekend. I was at a full hook up site. I drained my black water tank, and did not use my flush at the site. Is flushing your system at the site with the potable water safe for the next user. I know there has been some talk on here about it. My NT has a seperate in put for it. But is taking the potable water there for it good practice. It is seperated at the dump station. But no mention at the full hook up. It shouldnt cross contaminate
Next is just an observation. How many people don't seem to flush there black water tanks. When I got home I tied mine into my septic tank and out my clear fitting on and flushed it. I am.still amazed how much extra $#!+ Comes out. The few used campers I looked at all had Mis readings on there black water tanks from the TP. I don't think people really know how much crap is still in side there tanks. My old camper with out the flush system I used the adapter and sprayed up in there and opened the toilet and sprayed the hose in. I got a lot out that way. Mine says to only use it with the waste valve open. But I crack the toilet open and let it build and drain several times until it comes back clean. it really seems to keep the smell down in the next go around as well. Just my observation.

Flushing your black water tank is perfectly fine. There is a air check valve or vacuum breaker. Without pressure there is not connection between the black water tank and the water input. With water pressure, it closes and flushes your tank. Be aware that it needs pressure to fully close otherwise it will leak. Don't ask me why I know.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10...qid=1498185726&sr=8-4&keywords=check+valve+rv

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=RV+vacuum+breaker

danemayer

Hi Mattman,

The black tank flush has an anti-siphon valve that protects the campground water. You can also put in a check valve at the black tank flush input to add another layer of protection. Some people use bleach to clean the campground faucet when they set up.

As for flushing the tank, one risk of not adequately flushing the tank is that paper and waste can get trapped in the gate valve when you close it. That can lead to slow leaks from the black tank which can be difficult to correct. A slow leak can cause a poo pile to build up in the black tank because the water leaks out. That can also be very difficult to correct.

ram22

Do you use a separate hose from your potable water hose? I never even thought to do this, so it is a good question. I hope more people reply here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

I have a separate hose for the flushing. Apparently you do not need to, but I find it easier to connect while setting up. I do not have to shut the water off to flush the tank on long stays. Believe it or not I found a short black colored hose. I use a two way double hose valve near the UDC. It is connected just prior to my water softener. Use the valve to control the "on off" of the flush. Now do not ever walk way, talk to someone, or allow yourself to get distracted while flushing the tank. If you black tank fills, the water will ether come out of the toilet into your trailer or out of the roof vent. Dump the tank running the water. Close the valve and run the flush water for three minuets and open the valve. Repeat one more time.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...argid=kwd-304835364843&ref=pd_sl_2mxrg6efu0_b

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I always use a separate hose for black tank flush. I also always thoroughly flush my black tank when I dump it. You never want to let anything in there dry up or get stuck in the gate valve. That's all bad !!!! I believe you should always drain , thoroughly flush, and treat the black tank before you head home.

Just what I think
Jerrod

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I like to drain the black tank first and do the gray tank last.

I use my gray water tank to back flush into the black tank to help clear out any clogs.

With one of these Valterra add-on drain valves, this is a very easy task.

ProwlerDrainCap-P3290012.jpg

I first drain the black tank and run the tank flush at the same time, and when flow almost stops, I close the black tank valve, then the Valterra.

At this point I'll open the gray tank valve, then the black tank valve and you'll hear the gray water gurgling as it flows into the black tank.

When you hear the gurgling slow or stop . . . close the gray tank valve and let the black tank run out.

Repeat this two or three times, then finish rinsing the black tank until the flow is clear.

Last edited:

Gary521

It is absolutely essential that you use two different hoses for potable water and tank flushing. The OP mentioned something about cross contamination - well this is what you get if you do not use tow different hoses. When I hook up to a new site, I first purge the water line to make sure that there are no critters or dirt in the spigot and secondly, I sanitize the spigot and hose ends. Bleach is the best, however, if you make a bleach solution, it is only good for about a day. I use a solution that is used in restaurants to sanitize. It is called quaternary ammonium or QUAT. The solution is effective for several months. Do a little Google search on bleach solutions and quat and see for yourself.

BusManRG

It is absolutely essential that you use two different hoses for potable water and tank flushing. The OP mentioned something about cross contamination - well this is what you get if you do not use tow different hoses. When I hook up to a new site, I first purge the water line to make sure that there are no critters or dirt in the spigot and secondly, I sanitize the spigot and hose ends. Bleach is the best, however, if you make a bleach solution, it is only good for about a day. I use a solution that is used in restaurants to sanitize. It is called quaternary ammonium or QUAT. The solution is effective for several months. Do a little Google search on bleach solutions and quat and see for yourself.

Thanks! Just did a little reading and ordered a spray bottle (Clorox brand) from Amazon to put in the hose box. Like I have said before, our login should be "Always Learning".

Sandy

klp605

The hose you use for black tank flush, can that hose be used for anything else (spray off truck, stabilizers, rugs--like you would use a garden hose )?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LBR

The hose you use for black tank flush, can that hose be used for anything else (spray off truck, stabilizers, rugs--like you would use a garden hose )?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes, anything besides carrying water for potable use is my rule.

Lynn1130

I think his question about flushing at the dump site had to do with using the potable water and the safety for others behind him.

Is flushing your system at the site with the potable water safe for the next user.
I do not use water, of any kind, at a dump site, in any tank in my trailer except the black tank. One mistake by someone in front of me could make my freshwater tank a bio-hazard site and believe me I have witnessed a few of those mistakes. It gags me to watch people fill their fresh water tank from those sites. I have different hoses for flushing and never use a fresh water fill hose for that. Their only job is black tank flush.

Since I started using a Macerator I seldom use public dump stations. If I am dry camping I bring the load home and dump and clean there. I can get a much better clean out by taking my time.
Not only do I use the tank's flush system but I use a flexible 1/2 inch pipe with a shut off (home made) that I can shove down the toilet and move around inside the black tank.

Gary521

Thanks! Just did a little reading and ordered a spray bottle (Clorox brand) from Amazon to put in the hose box. Like I have said before, our login should be "Always Learning".

Sandy

Put this bottle right next to that box of disposable gloves, that you put on to attach and remove the sewer hose.

Mattman

So flushing the black tank is fine. I have another hose I use for that as well. I just didn't want to contaminate the next guy. I think for my safety as well as anyone else the bleach bottle will be added before my next trip. Might even have one of those check valves for safety as well.

So never buy a used camper people left on a lot. You usually only see them dump a small tank once. Doubt they clean that thing out a lot. Gross

TxRoadWarrior362

Fresh and backwash hoses stay on separate sides of the trailer. I spend a good 45 minutes plus making sure I have both black water tanks as clean as possible. i close the black water valve and let the tank fill, then repeat......several times. Amazes me how much s... And tp comes out even after multiple washes.

I watch people next next to me empty the tank, no back wash and take off for home. I told my family that if I ever did that to make me sell our Warrior. That's lazy and sick!!

Gary521

If you pay attention to what a lot of people do with the sewer system, it is a little shocking. This to me shows a lack of knowledge as to what can happen with contamination or just don't care. This IS the main reason that I sanitize the water system before I hook up.

NYSUPstater

We as well use 2 different hoses. White for fresh water and grey for black tank flush only. Also carry a regular garden hose for anything else EXCEPT fresh/black tanks.

My method is a tad odd but similar to others.
1. Dump black tank until it's about done (visible thru clear elbow adapter).
2. Flush tank w/ valve closed, BUT STANDING by the UDC. Let water run/fill for 2-4 minutes, shut water off, open/drain black tank. Repeat until no more "X" is seen in elbow.
3. Proceed to drain both grey tanks, 1 at a time.
4. While draining the grey tanks, use hose from sewer flush to fill a NON potable jerry jug (5/6 gallon) and carry over to door and the "inside crew" dumps into toilet. Do this 2x and they do the chems and GEO method.

So when all is said and done, we have 10-12 gallons of water sloshing around in black tank. Yes doing/carrying the jug is a PITA and thought my F-I-L was nuts when he did it, but guess now, I'm nuts as well.

Bogie

If you pay attention to what a lot of people do with the sewer system, it is a little shocking. This to me shows a lack of knowledge as to what can happen with contamination or just don't care. This IS the main reason that I sanitize the water system before I hook up.

I do the same. You never know what the previous person did. I use QUAT to sanitize before I hook up any hoses.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
4. While draining the grey tanks, use hose from sewer flush to fill a NON potable jerry jug (5/6 gallon) and carry over to door and the "inside crew" dumps into toilet. Do this 2x and they do the chems and GEO method.

So when all is said and done, we have 10-12 gallons of water sloshing around in black tank. Yes doing/carrying the jug is a PITA and thought my F-I-L was nuts when he did it, but guess now, I'm nuts as well.

I used to do that . . .

However, I now just fill the toilet up twice and drop it down into the black tank, then add the 'toilet mint' (I use the orange flavored ones) to one more full toilet bowl of water, then flush that down.