BlackwaterTank Flush

azbound

azbound, unless you have asked this as a separate post in the "ask the factory" section, this particular thread is not in that category. The factory representatives do not monitor all categories.

I did Ask the factory in the Bighorn section and it has now been almost 4 weeks. The post is there for all to read and still no response from the Factory. I was in hope that by also posting it here that some like Jim or Ray would see it and maybe give a hint to the factory that they need to address this issue, if for no other reason to show that they care. The lack of response to me seems like they are dodging what should be a easy question. If they are concerned about someone forgetting to turn off the tank flush they should address that issue in their response. My intent is not do make trouble but to get advise from the Factory. Am I asking too much??

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
azbound, I'm sorry but I didn't intentionally ignore your post and would have responded but it seemed like everyone had a good method of dumping. I can understand Jayco's view on not running the flusher with the valve close because I'm one of those guys who got distracted and overflowed the crapper. Fortunately for me it was my second rinse and what I got on the floor and in the basement behind the wall and down the stool room heat vent wasn't all that bad. It only took a day to clean up the basement behind the storage wall. Since that episode, my method for dumping is a 2 person job with walkie talkies. Lin is inside and I'm outside. She holds the pedal down while I pull the dump valve. As soon as I pull the valve I turn on the flusher. Once the flow slows I close the dump vale and fill the tank using the flusher and the pedal on the toilet. Lin monitors the toilet from the stool room and when it sounds close to full, I dump it again. Usually that is enough to get it good and clean. I still run the flusher for several minutes till the water is flowing clear. I then close the valve, turn off the flusher and add 4oz. of TST. The cheap stuff. We also use Angel Soft from Wally World. No problems in 2 years. Again, I apologize if it seemed like Jim or I were ignoring your posts. All the answers prior seemed valid. Happy Flushing!

jimtoo

I did Ask the factory in the Bighorn section and it has now been almost 4 weeks. The post is there for all to read and still no response from the Factory. I was in hope that by also posting it here that some like Jim or Ray would see it and maybe give a hint to the factory that they need to address this issue, if for no other reason to show that they care. The lack of response to me seems like they are dodging what should be a easy question. If they are concerned about someone forgetting to turn off the tank flush they should address that issue in their response. My intent is not do make trouble but to get advise from the Factory. Am I asking too much??

asbound,

I have checked back and you have not received any reply from the factory. But you have received reply's from some of the most experienced people on the rv world. People that live in their units full time have given you the best advice you can receive. I think these folks have given you better advice than anyone at the factory can, because they just build them. Most of the folks at the factory do not use an rv on a full time basis, therefore their knowdledge of what works best to flush a black tank is not from experence, but from reading and ocasional weekend usuage.

From my own personal experence, I dump the black tank and have the water hooked to the flush unit and turned on. I let the tank empty and close the dump valve and run water for 2 or 3 or 4 minutes and dump again. I might do this 4, 5, 6 or 7 times, untill I feel sure it is clean and see that I am getting nothing but clear water coming from the black tank. The one thing I do is NEVER leave the water running in the flush sprayer with out being right there at the valve and water shut off. Once I am satisfied that the tank is clean, I turn off flusher and close dump valve. I then go inside and dump 3 or 4 bowls of water through the toilet and add chemicals. Some people do not use chemcials, that is a personal preference. This has been working for me for a long time.

I will also forward a note to Jim B to ask him to send this thread to factory personell.

Jim M

morganm12

George
azbound,
Not to take your concerns lightly but my owners manual, I think, states the companies position very clearly on the matter of this discussion, explains the do's and dont's for flushing and draining the waste tanks. I have an 05 GC so maybe the company has dropped that from the manual. I have been full timing for 6 yrs and use the burp method and the wife dumps the blue stuff occssionally for travel mostly. I never leave the black tank open when parked. I put a few gallons in the tank after the dump when we are "moving on". At our next distination I do the dump routine and I usually get the empty reading. After a few months of use that blackwater tank ain't never going to ever be clean again. You flush as best you can and move on down the road.

jbeletti

azbound,

Check inside the baggage door that covers your UDC to see if there is a sticker there. You have been given great advice here - as good as it gets in fact. These guys are pros.

Happy camping.

Jim

azbound

azbound,

Check inside the baggage door that covers your UDC to see if there is a sticker there. You have been given great advice here - as good as it gets in fact. These guys are pros.

Happy camping.

Jim

Thanks for your response. It appears I am using the best method and as you say if the pros use this method it must be right.

Thanks again

jopatk

Black Tank Flush

Dave, that is correct. A lot of people put Calgon in the tank and it makes the surface slick which aids in "everything" slipping out of the tank Some people also put some soap in the tank to help keep it cleaned out. One of the most important benefits of all this is that the sensors stay clean and fully operable.

That sounds like a great idea. Do you know how much to add? Do you add it to the gray tanks too? In my last 5er I had trouble with the sensors in the gray tank from the kitchen sink. :)