Blowout Damage

'Lil Guy'

There are so many posts about damage to the rigs due to a blowout. Is it possible to have a flat without tearing up the sidewalls? I have the TPMS on our rig. We're able to see the pressure if a tire fails and monitor the heat of the wheel as well. Do the tires just explode due to the high pressure they hold or is it happening because people don't realize they have a flat tire and just continue to drive till they separate? I guess high heat from a bearing failure or low tire pressure could cause it but it seems like you would see this happening in advance. Has anyone ever just had a normal flat without damage? Nice that some of the tire dealers cover some of the damage expense but it seems like the damage.
Any thoughts on this subject?

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
In a situation other than a faulty tire that explodes, your TPMS will alert you when you start losing air.
It's important that you pull over as soon as possible and as safely as possible and get that tire off of your rig.
Running with under pressure will destroy the tire.
Oh, I have had two flats, well nearly flat, and I say nearly because my TPMS alerted me before there was any tire damage.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When our wheel bearing burned out in Phoenix last January on our old Trail Runner, we had no clue that smoke was billowing from our trailer until a passerby pointed at his eyes . . . then our trailer!

It wasn't until I was on the curve of the exit ramp that I could actually see the smoke.

We didn't have a TPMS on that trailer . . . and don't yet on the new one.

But will soon!

Last edited:

MCTalley

The only flat we've had (with a Towmax on our original BC), the tire didn't blow up and cause any damage. As a matter of fact, we had to drive a couple miles on it before we could get off on the shoulder. By the time we stopped, it was smoking pretty good. The sidewall was pretty much obliterated, but to the tire's credit, the tread portion was pretty much all intact.

We only knew we had a flat because of a motorist that pulled up alongside us to tell us about it. Considering the tire was on the door side of the rig, I may not have seen it until much later had I not been in the middle of three lanes on the interstate.

Lynn1130

The TowMax that went on me threw the tread and did a good amount of damage. There was no warning and the tire was still inflated when I pulled to the side even though it was on the belts. It went flat as we sat on the side of the road waiting for the tire service. It was one of the fender skirts flapping in the wind as we were going down the road that caused me to pull of to see what had caused that. I can see the wheels on both sides of the trailer in my rearviews and check them often while driving. Had I not been doing that the tire would have deflated and caused more damage.

whp4262

There are so many posts about damage to the rigs due to a blowout. Is it possible to have a flat without tearing up the sidewalls? I have the TPMS on our rig. We're able to see the pressure if a tire fails and monitor the heat of the wheel as well. Do the tires just explode due to the high pressure they hold or is it happening because people don't realize they have a flat tire and just continue to drive till they separate? I guess high heat from a bearing failure or low tire pressure could cause it but it seems like you would see this happening in advance. Has anyone ever just had a normal flat without damage? Nice that some of the tire dealers cover some of the damage expense but it seems like the damage.
Any thoughts on this subject?

Yes you can have a flat without tearing up the sidewall if you catch it in time that you are loosing air. That's where the TPMS system pays off because it should warn you in time to save the tire. This happened to me last summer when my TPMS alarm went off. I had the tire repaired and I'm still running it. The TPMS system probably will not warn you of a tread separation unless it builds up a noticeable a amount of heat before it lets go. The best indicator of a pending tread separation is probably a visual inspection. Every time you stop walk around your rig and look at all the tires, truck and trailer. If you see a tire that's starting to crown, a bubble or a deformed tread pattern it's a good indication of tread separation or broken belts. I have found a few tires that way over the years that were on there way out including the back tire on my 2010 Goldwing. My Goldwing has a very sensitive factory TPMS system yet it never warned me that I had a back tire that was bubbling up and deforming. A TPMS system will also not warn you of a sudden blowout due to impact damage etc. so a TPMS system is really nothing more then a tool that will help you some times but not a fool proof catch all for everything. Hope this helps answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

I have had 3 GY 614's go bad, lost the tread on 2 and a side wall split on one. TPMS on all but never lost any air, so there was no notice, always watch your mirrors.