Blue Ox: New 5th Wheel Hitch

RoadJunkie

I recently saw this new Blue Ox hitch advertised in FMCA magazine. Is it just a thinly disguised Gooseneck hitch? And, because it is fundamentally grounded by a ball receiver, would it need safety chains?

If you haven't seen it, HERE is the install instructions.

Dahillbilly

After reading the instructions for hitching up I'll stick with my B & W Companion 5th wheel hitch. Easier to hitch & unhitch for me. No safety chains are required for mine since it has a 5th wheel plate; not sure on this set up.

CoveredWagon

If I remember correctly it depends on the stats. It is considered an uncaptive hitch, therefore it requires safety chains. It is basicly an inverted Andersen hitch. It appears to me to be exactly like the hitch Pulrite came out with about 6 or 7 years ago. I saw them at CW when they first hit the market, but haven't seen them since. Maybe Blue Ox bought it out.

RoadJunkie

If I remember correctly it depends on the stats. It is considered an uncaptive hitch, therefore it requires safety chains. It is basicly an inverted Andersen hitch. It appears to me to be exactly like the hitch Pulrite came out with about 6 or 7 years ago. I saw them at CW when they first hit the market, but haven't seen them since. Maybe Blue Ox bought it out.
Interesting.

centerline

this style of hitch has been around for quite awhile... I can see no advantage to it over a standard gooseneck hitch, as you still have to raise the jacks quite high to connect/disconnect from it...
it is no more secure than a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch, and with it being more akin to a gooseneck hitch, the disadvantage comes with the amount of space that the hitch takes up in the bed of tow vehicle.... so if the footprint of the hitch in the bed is ok, its my opinion that it would be better to just use a 5th wheel hitch so that you can easily connect and disconnect with the least amount of effort....

CoveredWagon

this style of hitch has been around for quite awhile... I can see no advantage to it over a standard gooseneck hitch, as you still have to raise the jacks quite high to connect/disconnect from it...
it is no more secure than a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch, and with it being more akin to a gooseneck hitch, the disadvantage comes with the amount of space that the hitch takes up in the bed of tow vehicle.... so if the footprint of the hitch in the bed is ok, its my opinion that it would be better to just use a 5th wheel hitch so that you can easily connect and disconnect with the least amount of effort....
I purchased the Andersen hitch for weight considerations.

thewanderingeight

I purchased the Andersen hitch for weight considerations.

I have the Andersen as well, I like how easy it is to connect and disconnect at any angle, and how easy it is to remove from the truck if I need the extra space to haul something around. The Fifth Wheel also tows really nicely with it, although it's the only hitch I have used with it, so I don't have anything else to compare it to.