Fastway e2 hitch

jscanlo

Just sharing our hitch experience to help other newbies. We have a Fastway e2 hitch with 800 lb bars (https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch) that we use with our 2010 Ford Expedition EL to pull our Wilderness 2725BH (33ft) travel trailer. We bought the trailer and hitch new from a dealer in Russiaville, IN. They did the initial set up and botched it horribly. Our first drive was a white knuckle, slow ride with major sway and several very scary moments. We made it to our destination in Louisville, KY, and had another RV dealer take a look at our set up. They took the whole thing apart and re-installed it correctly. The original dealer had installed the hitch ball 6" too high and put the connecting brackets on our trailer at different lengths. With the better setup, the ride was greatly improved, but only up to about 55 MPH. After that, the sway came back. On our next trip, we made a point of chatting up several other campers with similar SUVs towing long trailers. No one had the e2 hitch, but several walked us through the adjustments they made along the way to gain more stability. We noticed that our L brackets were installed at the lowest possible setting, even though the e2 instructions said to start in the middle position and adjust as necessary. We moved the brackets up one position and it made a huge impact on our ride. Very little sway even at 65-70 MPH (which is as fast as I want to go). The bars are much harder to install now, but it is so worth it to gain that stability. Best of luck with your own adjustments!

jbeletti

Thanks for sharing!

That said, I'd like to kindly caution you on high-speed towing with a travel trailer. They are so lightweight, in a general sense, that a good gust of wind can put it / you on your sides.

With my F150, I prefer to tow 55-60 MPH. I would be very uncomfortable towing my travel trailer at 65-70 MPH. Just my experience. Be careful out there and hope to see you down the road.

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

You better look at the speed rating of your trailer tires. Most are not rated past 65 and that is really pushing it when you take a tire to its maximum rated speed.