Both A/Cs not working

RayBliss

We have a 2012 Heartland Road Warrior RW405 toy hauler. When we turned on the front A/C, it tried to run and then shut down. When we tried to start it again we get a single clicking sound ever 10 seconds or so until we shut the thermostat back off. We tried starting the back A/C and it won’t start either. We’re getting the same clicking sound. Does anyone know what may be causing this? Prior to this incident, we’ve never had a problem with either unit. Thanks so much!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you are in a campground that is experiencing high temperatures many people will be trying to stay cool and running their AC you may not have enough power to start your ACs.
Use your multimeter to check incoming voltage.

Peace
Dave

RayBliss

Thanks Dave. We aren’t at a campground. We are using our generator which hasn’t been a problem to run the A/Cs. It’s odd that both aren’t working even though they are on separate thermostats. Must be something that they both have in common.

jerryjay11

Good possibility as cookie stated, though your generator is having the voltage issue. The generator common denominator. Separate thermostats has nothing to do with the line voltage to the compressor. Check your breakers there and try resetting them. The clicking is a thermal overload device mounted on the compressor of the AC and it can actually take several minutes to reset depending on ambient temperatures and multiple attempts.

Roller4tan

also you need 12v dc to run the control boards. Check your battery and dc breaker to the batteries from the converter.

david-steph2018

Thanks Dave. We aren’t at a campground. We are using our generator which hasn’t been a problem to run the A/Cs. It’s odd that both aren’t working even though they are on separate thermostats. Must be something that they both have in common.
Did you check the breakers on the front of the generator?
Depending what else was running when you started the AC unit, you could have tripped one of the breakers on the generator. Mine does it every now and then to us.
The 2 A/C units should be on different legs in the power box, to balance the load, but who knows.

RayBliss

Sorry it took me so long to get back! And thanks Jerry! You were spot on. It was the breaker with the generator. We’ve not had that happen before. And thanks Dave! Appreciate this group! Happy trails!

Judd

We have a 2012 Heartland Road Warrior RW405 toy hauler. When we turned on the front A/C, it tried to run and then shut down. When we tried to start it again we get a single clicking sound ever 10 seconds or so until we shut the thermostat back off. We tried starting the back A/C and it won’t start either. We’re getting the same clicking sound. Does anyone know what may be causing this? Prior to this incident, we’ve never had a problem with either unit. Thanks so much!
I have a rw420 and have done a few things to fix and improve my Three ac units.
When I purchased it used two of the units were acting in a similar way and being a retired auto tech I took it on my self.
Turned out to be a common problem with the electric motors .
There's a lot of good utube stuff on how to change them and is not a difficult job to do.
I also rewired the selection switch to be able to run all three units at the same time.
That requires a little more knowledge and understanding of circuits ,amps and in most cases is not necessary unless u live in FL, Texas, Arizona.
Hope this helps you a little with your issues.

RayBliss

Thanks Judd. The generator stalled today but this time gave us an error 15 code called an under-frequency fault code. So we moved the spring on the engine governor arm 1 notch and that has taken care of it. We live in the NE where we’ve been experiencing a heat wave and high humidity.

wdk450

There are Air Conditioner "soft startup" kits available on EBay and other places that do not start the fan motor and the compressor simultaneously for less amp surge in the first few seconds of startup. These may cost a little more than you want to spend for an intermittent problem.

Ray:
You forgot California, Nevada and Utah in the "HOT" states. 2/3 of Oregon East of the Cascade mountains is pretty much desert, too. I have heard that the major population growth in the West in the 1950's had a major correlation with the widespread use of air conditioning.

RayBliss

Thanks for the suggestion! And we’ve only traveled out west during the winter months so we haven’t needed a/c. Nice being in a dry region.