bottom sweep / seal leaks in rain

Our heartland is a 2010 32QBSS.

Would love to start a new thread on slide out leaking through the bottom sweep when slide closed and driving through rain storm. Mine was never adjusted right from the factory and did not discover this problem until over a year after purchase because we didn't tow in the rain until then! Soaked carpets inside. Heartland acknowledged problem but said adjustments are covered for a 90 day period after purchase. I suggested one might not find this problem for years -- not until they towed in the rain. Any one else have this problem. Basically the lower sweep does not touch does not sweep or seal the bottom of the slide out!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I answered you question in your other thread. What your saying is that the 2 "D" seals are not making contact with each other. Correct?? You can adjust the slide bottom to come in farther. Not hard to do.

No that is not what I am saying. The sides seal fine. It is the bottom seal underneath the seal that seals water coming up from the road. That seal I am guessing, should rub against the bottom of the slide but it does not.

jdfishing

I have the same problem with my 2007 Bighorn, as do some others. That flat 2" wide seal across the bottom of the slide does not keep water out that is sprayed up by the tires on wet pavement. It took me several years to discover the problem as I do not tow in rain very often. I called Heartland customer service and was told there should be a "bulb" seal (I assume the same as a "D" seal) across the bottom that compresses when the slide closes, just like there is along the sides of the slide. They told me to place a second "bulb" seal along the bottom. Well, I don't have the first one, just that flat 2" wide seal. I was going to order the correct seal when another major problem developed which I'm in the middle of now. There is lots of discussion on the leaking slide issue; just do a forum search on the problem. Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Ridin, the "D" seal that jdfishing talked about is what I was refering to. There should be one on the bottom of the slide where it meets the side. There should be one on the "body" just like it only installed up side down.

Does anyone know if there is a sight that shows the seals on the bottom of the slide. Again, my sweeper seal does not touch the bottom. And it looks like if the slide is adjusted down enough for the seal to touch then side molding and decals will be out of line. I looked and there is not also a bulb seal on the bottom of the slide out like on the sides. Is there a pictorial on how to install this bulb seal on the bottom, as jdfishing suggests that Heartland suggests. It is really hard to believe that Heartland would have failed to install these seals on both slides on our unit.

Bob&Patty

Ridin, are you saying that there is not a seal on bottom of the slide itself?? Is your coach still in warrenty?? You can buy the "D" seals from most RV stores. I think mine are stapled on...but need to go look. I will check back later. 3M yellow (gorilla snot) trim adhesive will glue anything...even your fingers. I have always used that to glue weatherstrips in place.

mainejc

I think Heartland should re-think their 90 policy. An un-happy customer is NOT the way to get good advertisement. I had an issue with the AC and talked to Customer service and Tech Support. They were not helpful at all. I was told, “It’s not our problem, go to the Mfg of the unit”
I am very dissatisfied with Heartland, and told them that I would be happy to let everyone know that.
Customers are your best, or worst advertisement!
Buyer BEWARES!

Bob&Patty

mainejc, just to clear up something. You are beating up the wrong people. HL does not warranty anything on their units except the body they make. Everything else is warrantied by the product manufacturer. They do not make these products...they buy them just as you would from a supplier. How old is your unit....the A/C has more than a 90 day warranty on it. Why is it not into your dealer for repair?? Yes you take your unit in for repairs under warrany...BUT...the manufactuer of the A/C, refer, TV, HWH, frame, or what ever pays for the repair.... not HL. HL also does not have any power over them to make them repair or not repair it. RV's are not like a car that all the parts are produced by the manufacturer. So maybe you should call the manufacturer of your A/C unit and bad mouth them not HL. BTW, I bet your car has a 90 warranty on it also for "wear and tear" items. Now with your rant on a thread that had nothing to do with what the OP was asking...the owner of the forum (not HL) will probably close it.

GOTTOYS

I think Heartland should re-think their 90 policy. An un-happy customer is NOT the way to get good advertisement. I had an issue with the AC and talked to Customer service and Tech Support. They were not helpful at all. I was told, “It’s not our problem, go to the Mfg of the unit”
I am very dissatisfied with Heartland, and told them that I would be happy to let everyone know that.
Customers are your best, or worst advertisement!
Buyer BEWARES!
I agree with Bob. Every RV manufacturer operates the same way. They purchase appliances for use in the RVs they manufacture. The company that supplies them furnishes a warranty, often for a longer period than the coach itself. If your A/C doesn't work, go get it fixed! That's why it has a warranty. You can bring it anyplace that works on RV air conditioners and get it covered. Why drag Heartland through the mud? They have nothing to do with it. You won't convince me not to buy a Heartland product with that argument....Don

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a question for you. If you purchased a house and 3 years later the Air Conditioner compressor burned up would you go to the builder to repair or replace the A/C? What if the garbage disposal burned out, would you call the builder to fix the garbage disposal or a plumber? In the RV business this is the normal case. If you have a problem with the reefer Heartland can give you a contact number to find a Dometic repair person, but they will not repair it. That could void the warranty. This goes with the LIppert parts. The Frame, Axle, spring, pin box and landing gear.

I hope this helps you.

BC