Bracing for awning

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
We have a 2011 BC 3510RL.

It has the flimsy electric awning (I liked the older manually operated design SOOOOOOO much better).

When parked "for the winter" in Arizona, we like to put up sunscreens on the side and both ends of the awning. Naturally this is very risky, because the weakling awning "structure" would be damaged in any but the lightest winds.

I would like to fabricate a support frame with end rafters which are located at the end of the canopy to attach "deflappers", and vertical struts to support the ends of the roller. This would stiffen the awning structure and make it more robust, so we wouldn't need to pull down the screens retract the awning at the hint of incoming windy days.

Searching the internet, I don't see any solutions.

Can anyone give me some DIY ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

asherwin

Hans, here are a couple of pics showing what I have done to support the awning of our BC while staying for longer periods in one spot. The result is a very rigid support system for the awning which removes all tension on the existing awning supports. Both the vertical (two piece) and horizontal (one piece) supports are one inch aluminum tubes. The horizontal tubing is hammered flat at one end which is then placed against the 5th wheel wall under the rivets/bolts anchoring the existing awning support. The horizontal and vertical tubing have a purpose built addition at the other end (see pic) which cradles the awning tubing and allows for length adjustment. This piece I had built for me by my brother-in-law who is a great metal fabricator, but you should be able to glean enough from the picture to either do it yourself or pass to someone who can make it for you. The awning ribs I purchased from a husband & wife team team in Florida, but they are basically a piece of tubing with one end designed to sit flush against the 5th wheel wall and tight to where the awning meets the wall, and the other end inserted in a length of pvc which has a bolt inserted in a spring with a nut to allow for change in tension against awning where it attaches to the roller. There is a pin inserted in a pvc cap which fits into a drilled hole in the awning tube. The rib tubing is slightly bent to provide tension against the awning an allow for improved rain fall off. Hope this is useful.

Attachments

• awning support closeup.jpg
    awning support closeup.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 63
  • awning rib poles1.jpg
    awning rib poles1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN8041.jpg
    DSCN8041.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 56
  • awning rib poles.jpg
    awning rib poles.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 61

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Thanks, Alan!

I haven't sorted out exactly how the upper end of the horizontal tubes are fitted to the body of the RV, and the photos aren't sharp enough for me to figure it out.

It "appears" that the "flat" end of the tube lies horizontally on top of the other existing arm and is "wedged" by the canvas channel above it??? Do you have a closer photo of that area?

You mention that the vertical tubes are 2 pieces of tubing. How are they joined?

Thanks again. That looks like a good solution.

asherwin

Hans, I will be in Myrtle Beach in about a week and set up for a couple of weeks before moving on to Florida. I will take some additional photos then. The flat end of the horizontal tube fits wedged between the horizontal rail that the awning is attached to and the rivets/bolts protruding inside the vertical awning support. This way it can't move up, down or sideways. The horizontal tube is two pieces to allow the piece closest to the awning tube to turn to adjust length/tautness of the assembly. 6 inches of one end of the two piece tubing is slightly smaller to allow it to fit inside the second piece of tubing. Can usually find these in stores selling fence posts etc.