Brake problem....Don't know if this is the correct place to post, but here goes

SeldomSeen

:mad: Recent problem with my 2011 Greystone 29mk, after setting for a period of time (two or more weeks) I hooked up and started to pull away from my storage spot. About 1/4 mile after turning out the storage place drive way my brakes (Trailer) seemed to apply fully and jerked on my truck enough to loosen my eye teeth a bit. I stopped got out and looked around to see if I hit anything and nothing was there. Nothing after that until about a week ago when I again pulled in and hook up and pulled away. Again about a 1/4 mile down the road it was like my trailer brakes again locked up and jerked hard enough to knock things off the dashboard of the truck. I took the truck back to the Ford dealer and they ran all sorts of tests and said it wasn't the brake controller or the wiring they checked it all and found nothing wrong. I asked the trailer dealership mechanic and he said it had to be the truck brake controller because is was not the trailer braking system. I also spoke to a independent mechanic and he put on a new pull away switch thinking that might have shorted out and caused it to set the brake, but that didn't help either. He also stated he thought it had something to do with the brake controller on the truck. So now what? Either the trailer guy, the private mechanic or the Ford dealership doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm at a loss. Anyone experience this type of problem before?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Larry, I moved the thread into the trailer brakes area for now. If it turns out to be the truck, I can move it again. No big deal.

So the trailer brakes engage even though you don't step on the pedal? Very strange. It has to be either the controller or the trailer brake actuator. That's my guess but really have no idea. I'm pretty sure when you first plug the trailer in to the truck, it "signals" the controller that something is plugged in and ready. Do you have a friend that could pull your trailer and see if it happens while being pulled by a different TV? That might narrow it down.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ray is right on. You need to hook up to another tow vehicle and see if the problem still occurs.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
One more suggestion ??? Check your Emergency Break Away device. Like many of us have experience I made a sharp turn and my cable pulled free locking my trailer brakes, like you said "teeth jaring". Maybe the switch has gotten some water in it and it is trying to work intermittantly. Just anothe point to check...........

caissiel

On our first trip south while in the hills of Scranton PA I got caught not being able to apply brakes without draging the trailer wheels. Removed one hub and the brake magnets where covered with grease. The linings were perfect. I cleaned the the inside of the drums and checked all the other 4 and 3 out of 4 was bad. Improper greasing of the bearing caused the seals to pop and left grease on the magnets..

The brakes have been great since

creeper

Slap in another brake controller and see if the problem persists. Should cost you about 100 bucks. Turning sharp used to active my break away switch and I had to replace it. Makes sure all your wires are tight inside the control box on the pin.

TedS

Check the wiring at the 7-pin socket on the truck to make sure you are not getting a short from the truck battery + to the trailer brake wire connector.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Could be as simple as rust build up on the drums when it has sat awhile. Have you had any rain lately. Ours does it just about everytime when the brakes are applied the 1st time.

bighorn3370

I have had the same thing happen to my BH. Like Bob said, it's rust. As long as it one or two stops, i would not worry about it. If it is more, I would have it checked out. Ernie

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Could be as simple as rust build up on the drums when it has sat awhile. Have you had any rain lately. Ours does it just about everytime when the brakes are applied the 1st time.

That's what I was thinking at first. I asked the OP if he was using the brakes at the time but no reply yet. My brakes are touchy after setting for a while too. His initial statement didn't really say anything about them being touchy, just locked up for no apparent reason and after a 1/4 mile. Mine are grabbing as we pull out of the site.:eek: