Brake wiring on BH 3010RE

Phatkd

Just looking for some advice on how to tackle this or if you think I need to even worry about it.

It was a nice day out today, so I decided to look under the BH (I should have done this during the PDI,..my bad), and I noticed the wires for the rear tire on the drivers side hanging down and exsposed. All the other wheels' wiring seem to be neat and tucked away.

Thoughts, advice and knowledge appriciated...

Kris

Attachments

• IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 89

brianharrison

Hi Kris,

If they are working - tuck it up out of the way. Use a zap-strap or similar and you should be fine.

I have used electrical tape on my marrettes (wire nuts) just to add a little security so as to prevent them from backing off or coming loose.

Brian

57chevyconvt

Kris,
The wire nut connectors tell me that this wiring has been previously taken apart. If this were my unit, I would remove the wire nuts, re-route the brake wire over the gas line so that it is not hanging down in such a fashion to be rubbing on the spring. The plastic wire protection sleeve is not something would have been used by the factory. After the wiring has been rerouted over the gas line, purchase a wire clamp/hanger at a big box store and secure the wire to the trailer frame rail above the space between the spring and drum brake backing plate. Eliminate the wire nuts and solder the wiring together to provide a positive connection. If you have some heat shrink tubing, place it on the wire before soldering the wire for protection of the exposed wiring connection, otherwise wrap the exposed wires with electrical tape. Use a nylon tie-wrap to hold the wires together. The brake wire need sufficient slack to allow for the axle to more up and down.

jnbhobe

Kris, I would just tie wrap the wires out of the way unless there is a way to move the supply wires to the other side of the gas line.

Jimmy

Take it back to the Dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty, if it is a new unit, there should not be any problem...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a note, we did add the plastic wire protection tubes over our brake wiring to make sure it did not rub on the springs. But our wiring did not have the nuts, the connections had the wire shrink wrap over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phatkd

Thanks everyone. I really like some of the detailed responses. I think I will try and do it myself so I know for sure it is done right. I will post the final results when it is completed. I was just surprised how the one wheel only had the marrets holding the wires together when there is obvious water and dirt penetration issues down there.

Cheers,..Kris