Broken Cable on Grey Tank

MdMike

So, now that I am 1700 miles from home i have found that the grey tank #1 (my shower/sink holding tank for bathroom) cable in my 2011 Elkridge Bunkhouse 5th wheel has broken and the valve is partly open.

Good news is that it does drain but very slowly. Anyone ever replaced one of these before?

We have been continuing daily use of shower and I have had no odor back up into the camper. Looks like I need to drop the underbelly to get to the valve.

Sure miss the older valves
That were on the underside right near the sewer hook up. I realize they are more convenient in the UDC but the cables seem like they will be problematic.

Any advice is appreciated!

campers2

You could add a Valterra twist on valve that would let you finish the trip and deal with it when back home.

danemayer

Hi MdMike,

If the handle is pulling freely but the valve doesn't work, it may have come apart at the handle end. Take down the basement wall by the UDC to evaluate. There was a recent thread (which I can't locate) showing a repair using 2 small hose clamps and a bolt to re-attach the cable to the handle. The bolt spans the break and the clamps hold the bolt to the cable at one end and to the handle at the other end.

If it came apart at the valve end, it may not be broken. I believe there's a set screw that holds the cable to the valve plunger. Dropping one corner of the coroplast should allow you access.

But it's probably easier to check behind the UDC first.

MdMike

I looked behind the wall to find the cable is attached to the handle but the sheath is pulled away. I have been doing ok except that the grey water from the bathroom drains off very slowly. The valve must be partly open. These cables are a,stupid design, or,at least in my opinion they are. I guess to check the end at the valve I need to drop the bottom.

MdMike

Thanks for the fix fellas! I am in Montana, a long way from my home in Maryland! The staff in the maintenance dept. At St. Mary's KOA outside of Glacier Natl. Park had some threaded rod and hose clamps. These will be some items going into my parts box as soon as I can get to a hardware store.

The fix partly corrected the issue, I may still need something done with the valve since it does not close all of the way, but I can close it enough that there are mom worrying when dumping the black tank! Appreciate the help.

I still say it is a stupid design, but hey who am I? Just a consumer!!

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
These cables are definitely poor quality! I replaced 2 of them under warranty. Heartland sent the replacements at no charge, but it was a pain to replace them.

MdMike

I may take mine to another dealer and have the other type of valves put on so they are outside of the underbelly. They either open the other valves and permanently seal them open or remove them. Maintenance would be easier if they were exposed too.