Broken Frame?

Hey all!! This is my first post, but I have learned a ton from this group. I am looking at a 2013 Landmark Key Largo. I love the camper and just went to see it for the first time. I have some major concerns, and I believe I know what you will say, but here goes.. The side has a crack in the front, near the hitch area. I believe this is from a bad frame. What is your opinion? Is this just something that happens on the LM? The frame also has major rust issues and appears to be structurally eroded. There was evidently a major leak or flood near the bedroom. Plywood was replaced in the bedroom and the plywood was replaced in the basement. All of the plumbing appears to have been replaced. All of the underbelly insulation has been taken down and not put back well... BUT it looks awesome with full body paint. It is below market value. I could live with the water damage, but the frame is my main concern. I am thinking I need to run (not walk) away. Agree?

Attachments

• 20230714_110031.jpg
    20230714_110031.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • 20230714_105932.jpg
    20230714_105932.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 74
  • 20230714_103149.jpg
    20230714_103149.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that frame looks pretty rusty.
Have you been on the roof to inspect the roofing and caulking?
That sidewall crack is almost always an indication of what's known as frame flex, broken welds.

Peace
Dave

Yes that frame looks pretty rusty.
Have you been on the roof to inspect the roofing and caulking?
That sidewall crack is almost always an indication of what's known as frame flex, broken welds.

Peace
Dave
I did not go up top. I started to, but the ladder felt weak and I was pretty sure the frame was enough to scare me off.

sengli

The frames are made by lippert. When I had a question on the flex issue, on my latest used unit I called them and had field tech check mine out. Of course I live in northern Indiana, so for me the service visit was local, as the service center is in Goshen Indiana. They charged me around $250 for the visit and determined that my frame was fine. They check the amount of flex loaded and un-loaded to determine how much flex is happening. There is an acceptable limit, cause they will flex under load. If I was you maybe call lippert and ask how much is good. Seems as if when I spoke with my tech he said maybe around 2 inches was acceptable? The crack is there cause the walls are bonded and screwed to the steel framework in the front. So if there too much flex the walls crack. My issue ended up being the aluminum framing in the front was broken, not the steel RV frame.

As for the rust, these frames are made from recycled buicks, (china steel) so they rust on day one if not washed off. I have seen new units that were delivered in the winter on the sales lots that looked as bad as the one you are looking at.

Last edited:
The frames are made by lippert. When I had a question on the flex issue, on my latest used unit I called them and had field tech check mine out. Of course I live in northern Indiana, so for me the service visit was local, as the service center is in Goshen Indiana. They charged me around $250 for the visit and determined that my frame was fine. They check the amount of flex loaded and un-loaded to determine how much flex is happening. There is an acceptable limit, cause they will flex under load. If I was you maybe call lippert and ask how much is good. Seems as if when I spoke with my tech he said maybe around 2 inches was acceptable?

As for the rust, these frames are made from recycled buicks, (china steel) so they rust on day one if not washed off. I have seen new units that were delivered in the winter on the sales lots that looked as bad as the one you are looking at.
Was your fiberglass cracked like in the picture?

rhodies1

Personally I would run as fast as I could from this unit; I see wiring hanging down under the belly as well.This unit has been severely neglected; if the ladder felt weak than that is not a good sign,maybe rot in the roof where it attaches,Just because it has full body paint that means nothing if the rest of the unit is a piece of garbage.
Take your time and keep looking,the right unit will come along in your future.Dont jump because the paint looks good.

My wife thinks this inquiry is a joke because anybody in their right mind wouldn’t even consider buying this unit.
Your wife is probably right. I enjoy projects and this was around $12k below market value, and put it into our price range. I can do plumbing, wiring and woodworking. I can't paint a full body paint job. The frame was the deal breaker. The husband passed away and she just wanted payoff.. I had a lot of emotions involved lol. I was extremely disappointed when I saw the underside.

pjones1969

If you do pursue this unit, there is a worksheet to determine the Upper Deck Flex, I went through this with our Cyclone, if memory recalls, 3/4” is acceptable, ours was 3/16” and 1/4” so once that was ruled out and a trip to Elkhart it was found to be broken welds on the aluminum studs in the walls, welds were repaired and multiple gussets were added, either way it is not a cheap repair, especially with full body paint