Broken shackle

8amps

On our way today to Jackson rally, we got stuck quite some time (felt like Hours!) due to an overturned tractor trailer. We were/are still about 150 miles away and we'd already driven about 430 miles so we stopped, regrouped and in looking at tires, Phil noticed we had a broken shackle. So we were close to a place we stayed before. We have even changed the shackles before, but that was with help and a while ago. I've been scoring the lippert manual but thus far can only find mention of the shackles, not how to change it. Prefer not to do it from memory. Anyone know where to find it?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We haven't had to deal with one of those yet, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon!

Hope you get it back on so you can make the Jackson Rally!

Let us know how it turns out.

:confused:

Here is some reading while waiting for someone to come on with some advice about the shackles . . .

We had kind of a close call after we left Vegas . . .

While on our way to the Vegas Rally I noticed that the back tires on the Prowler were wearing out fast on the inside tread, and after the Dexter seminar, Glen (the Dexter guy) came over and diagnosed that our rear axle had lost it's camber (ie - flat), which is why the tires are wearing that way.

He suggested that we have the tires reversed on the wheels for the trip home.

Since we left Vegas on Sunday and the tire shops were all closed, we had it done in Richfield, UT on Monday.

After waiting at a tire shop in the parking lot for two hours for our appointment (even though it was written in their appointment book and I had even spoken with the tech outside at the spot to make sure I knew where to park the truck and trailer when it was time), and when I walked in at the allotted time, the guy who was supposed to do our tires had been sent out on a road service call and they had 'forgotten' that we were outside waiting and it would be at least two more hours before they could squeeze us in.

So I called the Big 'O' Tire store down the road and they told me to come on over and they would get us in and out in a half an hour . . . which they did!

However, they also discovered while remounting the tires that one was starting to show tread separation (it was the one with the worse wear on it), so I had them pull the spare and put it on one of the aluminum wheels (after all . . . looks are important, too! :cool: ).

I doubt we would have made Grand Junction that night without having a blowout with that tire . . .

Couldn't really see the bubble starting until it was spinning on the balancer machine (another good reason to have trailer tires balanced).

So I have to throw out KUDOS to the Big 'O' Tire Store in Richfield, UT . . . and a big fat PPPFFFFTTTTTTTT :p sound to Pearson Tire.

Anyway . . . that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

rhodies1

On our way today to Jackson rally, we got stuck quite some time (felt like Hours!) due to an overturned tractor trailer. We were/are still about 150 miles away and we'd already driven about 430 miles so we stopped, regrouped and in looking at tires, Phil noticed we had a broken shackle. So we were close to a place we stayed before. We have even changed the shackles before, but that was with help and a while ago. I've been scoring the lippert manual but thus far can only find mention of the shackles, not how to change it. Prefer not to do it from memory. Anyone know where to find it?

Are you referring to the shackle bracket that is welded to the frame,I'd so you will need to find a truck/trailer repair shop,even if you do not have proper equipment with you ,you will not be able to do much for repairs on your suspension,it is under great stress/weight .Chances are you will need to find a shop.

danemayer

Hi Mary and Phil,

Sounds like you're talking about the shackle link.

There are at least 2 difficult steps. Getting the nuts off the bolts may require sockets or wrenches on both sides and a lot of force.

And when you go to put the new parts on, the parts may not align. If there was front-to-rear tension on the axles when you took the old parts out, they may move a bit causing a misalignment. You may need to lift the opposite side of the axle so it can be realigned.

Don't forget about the bushings - if the shackle link broke, the bushings may be worn out.

Be very careful jacking and supporting the rig. If you're not sure how to do this safely, call for mobile service.

8amps

Where are you at and do you have a picture ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
We are in Chowchilla (115-130 miles from Jackson Rancheria, depending on route)

It is the off door side, front shackle link.
d782a60415717d0b5161fbc9b2891259.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Did you find a place to get parts down there ?

There is Don's RV or Best RV in Turlock.
Betts in Ripon
Dentoni's in Stockton
That's the ones that I can think of.

If it were ME I would probably keep going up to the next parts shop.

They are easy to change if you can get the old bolts out.

8amps

Did you find a place to get parts down there ?

There is Don's RV or Best RV in Turlock.
Betts in Ripon
Dentoni's in Stockton
That's the ones that I can think of.

If it were ME I would probably keep going up to the next parts shop.

They are easy to change if you can get the old bolts out.

We actually have the new shackles, just hadn't gotten around to putting them in yet.

8amps

It's not broken all the way through. Just cracked on one side. Is that something that we could go the rest of the way (130 miles) or best to switch it out now?
08f26ff38e6d0da28b9bda5ae6582d2b.jpg

New shackle links and bolts
8fd69d6b6050baf0be41d6981dbe95aa.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It a toss up I think it would make it but with these California roads there is a good chance it won't if the other side is good it should keep everything in place for the trip.
Once again if it were ME and I wanted help to change them. I would keep going and keep an eye on it.
We will help you when you get here. Between rain storms that is. LOL

wdk450

It a toss up I think it would make it but with these California roads there is a good chance it won't if the other side is good it should keep everything in place for the trip.
Once again if it were ME and I wanted help to change them. I would keep going and keep an eye on it.
We will help you when you get here. Between rain storms that is. LOL

If it were ME, I would chance it on the good shackle link, stopping to inspect things every 30 minutes until I got to Jackson with plenty of other Heartlanders to help out with plenty of jacks and tools, and even the availability of a mobile RV service guy, if needed. Better with lots of help and being THERE, instead of being stuck on the side of the road.

Good luck, and have a fun rally!!! I'm currently East of Chula Vista, no rain in sight.

8amps

We couldn't get the lug nut out of the socket, so we came to a tire shop/road service and they had the right stuff so with me hovering (!) they replaced the shackle.
8acc5788dc4c781a4d32b02740074325.jpg

8amps

Should we have them do all 4 wheels while we're here?

8amps

Ok, we are on the road again. These guys were awesome. Highly recommend Marcos and his shop TF tire in Chowchilla if you need help in the area. We did two, the other two were ok. We didn't have the bolts or we would have done all 4 wheels. Thanks for the help HOC!
1e8e74e6813555d7f417a20c46f8d314.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we address our axle issue here in the next month or so we may have to upgrade our shackles to those.

However, we are going to have to replace all of the tires as well so we'll see how much moolah we have left! :confused: