Broken Shocks on 2010 Bighorn

JCBowman

I have a 2010 3670 Bighorn and have two shocks that have broken off above the nuts. I don't understand the reason to the mounting of the shocks. If the wheel move in a vertical motion when going over a bump, how does a shock help if it is mounted at a 40 degree angle (I am guessing at the angle). Has anyone else had this problem and what is a good fix for this. I found the part number off of one of the shocks and can find it on line, but if I replace them will it just break again.

jimtoo

Hi JCBowman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I see you have been a member for a while,,maybe just reading and taking in the information.

Several folks have posted about this before. Some have removed the shocks and some have relocated the upper mounting bracket

Jim M

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We removed the shocks completely, to allow for larger hubs with larger brakes...can't even notice the difference...they were apparently useless...

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Common problem. The OEM shock mounting angle helps buffer axle twist but does little for vertical bounce. I bought and installed my shocks as near vertical as possible. Try a forum 'search' too see how many of us have corrected this issue.

creeper

Shocks in a variety applications are mounted at various angles, The more the angle the lesser effect. They certainly have a limited affect even mounted at this angle. Best price I could find on replacements was from bankstonmotorhomes.com about half the price of the same shock from lippert.

But, many applications increase the angle that reduce the shock travel and shock speed. At 45 degrees I believe the shock speed is half that of axles.

But, just for effectiveness of shocks.

perpendicular 100% effective
10 degrees 98% effective
20 degrees 92% effective
30 degress 86% effective
40 degrees 74% effective
50 degrees 68% effective.

You have less travel, so you have less effectiveness. (shock angle effectiveness is widely available on the net)

Many people think they are not effective mounted at that angle, but it's simply not true and the reason I put them back on after my brake/suspension upgrades.

Mine never broke until I tried to get them off.

GOTTOYS

Monroe makes a replacement, should be available from any auto parts store. Probably for less money, or you can order them from most of the online auto parts sellers. Look for part number 555001...Don