Bubble In Sidewall

JanAndBill

Our 3 year old BH, has developed what seems to be a slight bubble (delamination) about 6" in diameter, on the sidewall. It's located in the center not close to any edge. There is a dryer vent above and slightly in front of it about 2 to 3' away, but there's no indication of any delamination between this bubble and the vent. The rest of the sidewall around the bubble above, below, and above appears fine. We noticed it last year, and it hasn't really seemed to increase in size any. When not on the road the trailer is under a cover, so it's not exposed to a lot of elements.

• Is it possible that heat from the dryer vent caused this???
  • Is it maybe a manufacturing defect.
  • Can it be repaired??
  • How would you go about repair? drill a small hole to insert resin and clamp?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't sound like frame flex. Can you post a picture so we can see the location?

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

Interesting that I have a 1 foot long about 2 inch wide delamination under my dryer vent. Showed up about a year ago which was about 3.5 years into ownership.....and dryer use.

I also have inspected around the dryer vent....everything seems fine.

When I was having my frame flex fixed at the factory last summer I showed it to them. They knocked on it and said it was not really a "traditional delamination" (that is caused by water or frame flex) and they felt there was nothing they could do about it.

These are the same people that fixed the frame flex and after 2 tries fixed another sidewall frame problem that was causing a crack.

I figured they were shooting straight with me.

It has been a year since it showed up and it has not gotten larger or worse in anyway. My guess is that it is delamination but more under the "normal wear and tear" category. Things just come apart.

I look at it every so often to insure no more growth....and don't worry about it.

But it is odd that both yours and mine are near the dryer vent......

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's a few pics of construction on a Big Country, in the area you mentioned. I don't know if this helps.

1bdd1059f158eb63303570e79057c0d5.jpg

7dea7f3555374f50c361951a358ccf90.jpg

450fecba1d2ef93bf9ba80c179f843c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Interesting that I have a 1 foot long about 2 inch wide delamination under my dryer vent. Showed up about a year ago which was about 3.5 years into ownership.....and dryer use.

I also have inspected around the dryer vent....everything seems fine.

When I was having my frame flex fixed at the factory last summer I showed it to them. They knocked on it and said it was not really a "traditional delamination" (that is caused by water or frame flex) and they felt there was nothing they could do about it.

These are the same people that fixed the frame flex and after 2 tries fixed another sidewall frame problem that was causing a crack.

I figured they were shooting straight with me.

It has been a year since it showed up and it has not gotten larger or worse in anyway. My guess is that it is delamination but more under the "normal wear and tear" category. Things just come apart.

But it is odd that both yours and mine are near the dryer vent......

Very interesting indeed. I'll try to post a picture up later today. One thing I have noticed is that while it doesn't seem to get larger, it does become more noticeable when the weather gets warmer or sun heats it up.

I'm wondering if I can drill a couple of small holes in the bubble and use a hypodermic needle to inject resin behind the bubble. Then use a clamping device to push it back in. Won't take much as hand pressure will flatten it out.

danemayer

I'm wondering if I can drill a couple of small holes in the bubble and use a hypodermic needle to inject resin behind the bubble. Then use a clamping device to push it back in. Won't take much as hand pressure will flatten it out.

I've seen a video on repairing delamination that pretty much does what you're thinking.

Btw, I'm wondering if you guys have dryer exhaust hoses in contact with the inside wall.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
When I did delamination repairs on fiberglass sail boats the way I did this was to drill a series of holds and use a syringe to inject slow-curing West system epoxy until it oozed out adjacent holes. It was the only way to be assured that epoxy was migrating from one point to the next. Usually the holes were placed between 1 and 2 inches apart from the center of the delamination to the outer edges. Creative clamping and weights were used as necessary and usually waxed paper or other release agent was placed over the area to prevent the clamps from sticking. Once the excess epoxy was removed and cleaned up with acetone prior to curing. Once cured, additional sanding and gel coat or paint was applied as necessary. In most cases, the repair was invisible when completed.

JanAndBill

When I did delamination repairs on fiberglass sail boats the way I did this was to drill a series of holds and use a syringe to inject slow-curing West system epoxy until it oozed out adjacent holes. It was the only way to be assured that epoxy was migrating from one point to the next. Usually the holes were placed between 1 and 2 inches apart from the center of the delamination to the outer edges. Creative clamping and weights were used as necessary and usually waxed paper or other release agent was placed over the area to prevent the clamps from sticking. Once the excess epoxy was removed and cleaned up with acetone prior to curing. Once cured, additional sanding and gel coat or paint was applied as necessary. In most cases, the repair was invisible when completed.

That's along the line of what I was thinking, though I hadn't considered multiple holes, but I see the logic behind it, now that you explained it.

Garypowell

In response to Dan's question....I looked today.....frankly too many years ago to remember without looking. Because of the tight space I used a metal multi-jointed elbow that connects the hose to the louvered vent outlet.

The metal elbow was loose even though there was a hose clamp that I am sure once held it tight. I know this elbow gets super hot and with its in and out movement I could see a channel could have developed that allowed some of this hot (and certainly moist) air be "jetted" into the sidewall area.

Now there are lots of elements of chance in that statement. Being on the road it is not an easy thing for me to put out the Splendide unit and then the vent to see what it going on.

My "teardrop" ripple that seems to extend from below the vent is so slight you have to be standing at the right angle to see it. I don't think it would ever show up in a picture.

And...once again...I saw it one day....and it has not changed since then. There could be a connection to the Splendide and this vent....just take until this October when home again to connect the dots.