Bulkhead warping on 2011 Bighorn 3800BH

RyRoRyan

Hello all, I am hoping someone on here can give me some insight as to how to handle this.

On the off-door side (which is really the side where the door is actually on...I have never understood this) where the bulkhead meets the front end cap, it has started to what I can only describe as separating and expanding due to what appears to be water getting in there. It looks bulged from the side of the RV all the way to the pinbox. After a little looking I can only see a possible two ways that water can get in there. One is from the seals from the end cap to the sides of the RV. I did notice a VERY small like hair width about 2 inches long on the cap seal. It is only noticeable since I was actually going looking for it. However I cannot see how that much water could have got into the bulkhead area from that. The more logical idea is that water runs down the end cap on the front, hits the pin box, and runs along the frame until it hits the bulkhead. As of right now, I have a bulging bulkhead and not really sure how t repair it. More importantly how to repair it so it does not happen again. I have heard this being a common problem on some other units, but have no idea on the cost or if I actually have to bring it to the factory or just my local shop for a fix. I have an extended warranty, but I do not believe it covers things like this. Any help would be appreciated. I can post some pictures of it tomorrow.

'Lil Guy'

I'm not really sure of the area you're talking about. A pic would go along way. Are you talking of the sidewall ujp top next to th cap or the front skin under the cap? Being a 2011 model, I hope you've been inspecting the roof and sides for any defects in the caulking. Those hairline cracks are what you are looking for. You really need to go over it periodically and when in doubt, add some more caulk to it. Another place to look is the top of the cap where it meets the roof. No matter how strong your roof is, don't walk next to the seam of the cap or you will break the seal. I made that mistake on my other TT but caught it and repaired it. Again, if you can, post a pic or two of it and I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable people will chime in. Good luck with your repair.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I think he is referring the the "filon" under the B/R and goes down over the front storage compartment. Mine has done it as well as several others. Water can blow into the hole for the pin box while driving in the rain. Any of the seals and caulking can leak on the front cap to walls, front cap upper marker lights, the horizontal moldings along the bottom of the walls at the "filon". You can replace the "filon", for about $1K dollars shipped to your house or install some nice shiny chrome auto body type trim screws through the "filon" into the steel "I" beams under the B/R. OH and BTW, the new "filon" does not come pre-cut for the pin box or storage compartment.

Inspecting and re-caulking is critical on the coaches every 6 months or so.

RyRoRyan

Yes, I am referring to what is apparently called the "filon." It is amazing how much information on these things they don't tell you about when you get them. I have the extended warranty for the paint and for the components of the coach. No one over told me to check the caulk every 6 months. I would have hoped that they would be made better than that, but I guess not. In any case, I went ahead and used a transmission support jack to hold the filon up against the frame while I added a few screws along the I beams to hold it up. Then I went back and used some DAP 2 in 1 adhesive/caulk/silicone to fix all the splits and resealed where the filon came down. It looks 100x better now. I am hoping this problem is now history. Thanks all for the help.

danemayer

No one over told me to check the caulk every 6 months.

There's a maintenance schedule in the Heartland manual that came with your RV. In addition to caulking, there are other areas your dealer may not have mentioned that require periodic maintenance.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
DAP is not a good sealer/caulking. It will turn yellow and attract dirt. Dicor caulking is what is recommended.