Buying New Tires?

clay1969

I recently had a blowout and believe it's time to get all new tires for my Bighorn whick weighs in the 12K lb range. The person who changed my tire works for a company that does all the tire work for a local RV Dealer. He told me 10Ply tires is all they have ever put on campers no matter the size or weight of the RV. I have the Transforce 235/85/16 G rated tires right now with some cracking in the sidewalls. He told me E rated tires is plenty sufficient that G rated was overkill. I know the price is a lot cheaper for E rated tires not to mention it's hard to find G rated tires in stock. Any suggestions?

Sandpirate69

clay1969, don't cut yourself short on tires. Remember, you will probably be traveling with your family. The last thing you want is a tire failure traveling at 60+ mph with a bunch of clowns driving around you. I have brand new (China Bombs) on my RW305 and i'm searching for new rims so that I can mount the Goodyear G617, I think that's the model. I see plenty of RVs on US27 every day with blowouts. Most because they try to put a few more miles on tires that have dry rot or bulges on them. Yes, good tires are expensive but well worth the piece of mind.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Not sure which model Bighorn you have but several have a GVWR of 16,000 lbs. Most do not load their rigs to max but for me, using an E rated tire (3420) or 13,680 lbs with four tires with a heavy rig is a little worrisome. That means you will need at least 2320 lbs on the pin just to be at max for the tires. In reality, you will probably have more on the pin than 2320 lbs but for me, that does not seem like much of a margin. Personally, I would opt for the G rated tire.

clay1969

My thoughts on both reply's above. I have a 2006 3655RD(discontinued model now). Looking hard a Goodyear G6143 RST Tires to the tune of $350 each which means I will cancel Christmas this year!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
My thoughts on both reply's above. I have a 2006 3655RD(discontinued model now). Looking hard a Goodyear G6143 RST Tires to the tune of $350 each which means I will cancel Christmas this year!

I feel that pain and am not looking forward to replacement day! I have found the 614's for around $250 online.
Tread Spot

GOTTOYS

I recently had a blowout and believe it's time to get all new tires for my Bighorn whick weighs in the 12K lb range. The person who changed my tire works for a company that does all the tire work for a local RV Dealer. He told me 10Ply tires is all they have ever put on campers no matter the size or weight of the RV. I have the Transforce 235/85/16 G rated tires right now with some cracking in the sidewalls. He told me E rated tires is plenty sufficient that G rated was overkill. I know the price is a lot cheaper for E rated tires not to mention it's hard to find G rated tires in stock. Any suggestions?
The guy that changes the tires better get with the program. Maybe that's why he's still a tire changer...It all depends on the total weight of the trailer. I have load range E tires on my rig, which used to be referred to as 10 ply even though they really aren't. They work fine for me. My rig weighs 11,600# fully loaded, going down the road. Of that about 2,660# is pin weight which leaves 8,940# of actual axle weight. I am using B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs which in my opinion is a much better choice than the original Chinese made ST tires it came with. Each of my tires weighs 10# more than the one it replaced. The old story about the weaker sidewalls in my opinion a myth. I have compared both alongside each other. The LT wins hands down. 6,500 trouble free miles many of them at the legal speed limit....Don

lwmcguir

I run H rated on our heavier trailers and the Augusta. It is not over kill and really gives you a lot of peace of mind. They will last twice as long as the E or G rated so that helps bring the price in line. After they have been on a heavy trailer for 5 years or so we move them to an older lighter unit and run them another 5 or more years. Doing this for years and it has been the best investment we have ever made when purchasing tires.

wingfoot

Look on line..you could probable find them cheaper than $350.00...Google Goodyear G614, you will get a lot of offers.

hcriddle

Clay1969, you might check out these guys. Scott has made some pretty good deals to people including me. I went with what most would consider overkill on my Big Horn and bought new 17" wheels with Goodyear 114s. I don't give tires a second thought going down the road now. I check all my pressures before I pull out and love the security I have with these tires. The worry I had all the time with the old tires wasn't worth it to me. I certainly wouldn't go with anything less than G rated on that big a fifth wheel. Here is the link, good luck with your search.

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...roduct/0777865

Sandpirate69

Ok, I've looking for replacement tires for my 2011 305RW. Right now I have the China Bombs 236 85 16 E @ load of 3750 lbs @ 80psi. I'm not 100% on the load, but it is over 3600 lbs. I have 7K axles and can't find tires of that load weight. Kenda makes a tire of approximate 3900 lbs weight capacity. Now, the question is hwo do I fit 17.5" rims? I contacted Tredit and I was told that I needed to change the hubs on my 7K axle because I needed to change the lugs to 5/8". I'm not a rim & tire expert, so if anyone has done this swap on the hubs, please advise. I know several of you have sent me web sites & plenty of information, but i'm still a bit lost on whether or not to change to 17.5".

dewwood

In looking at the new Bighorn's I noticed the tire rating/inflation is for E rated at 80 PSI. This is a change from the G rated tire at 110 PSI. I don't know when Heartland switched but that is what the tag on the side of the new units reads.

hcriddle

Ivan,

When I changed to from 16" to 17.5" rims I did not have to change anything. I have a Big Horn 3580 not a 305RW but I have 7000# axles as well. Not sure there would be different axles and hubs on yours but maybe checking with Scott could get you some answers. I know he has done several BH, BC, and Cyclones so maybe he has done one like yours and could give you the answer.

mikeandconnie

Ivan, Please PM the contact info for 17.5 rims for the 7000 lb axles.
Thanks,
Mike
Ivan,

When I changed to from 16" to 17.5" rims I did not have to change anything. I have a Big Horn 3580 not a 305RW but I have 7000# axles as well. Not sure there would be different axles and hubs on yours but maybe checking with Scott could get you some answers. I know he has done several BH, BC, and Cyclones so maybe he has done one like yours and could give you the answer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In looking at the new Bighorn's I noticed the tire rating/inflation is for E rated at 80 PSI. This is a change from the G rated tire at 110 PSI. I don't know when Heartland switched but that is what the tag on the side of the new units reads.
dewwood, the VIN tag will always read the required tires/wheel requirement or rating. You really need to verify by looking for the stamped information on the back of the wheel itself.

mmomega

AnyTimer
If I could throw my 2 cents in. Go with E rated, DOT rated truck tires. Most are quite a bit cheaper, easier to find and should last a lot longer. I haven't placed them on the new trailer yet but after having a few unexpected blowouts on the last trailer after a few thousand miles I decided to make the change and didn't have a problem then we traded for the new Landmark.

A friend of mine just put some regular tires on his and NTB gave him roadside assistance on them. @ almost half the total price of the trailer tires he had on before.

k6fn

K6FN
hello, 2 days ago i blew a tire on my 31rl big horn.. the steel cords struck my tire pressure monitor sensor on the other tire and snapped it off.. result: 2 dead tires..
these tires are from Discount tire or American tires which ive used for years with great success until now..
i had to limp into a goodyear dealer and fork out $334 for 2 new tires plus $100 for a generic rim to replace the mag wheel that got cracked..
but when i got to the discount dealer in flagstaff they paid me in cash the full price $334) and filled out a claim for all the damage..(sheet metal along the side, rim etc..
i had a long talk with the dealer and he advised me to get G rated tires.. plus altho he didnt have them in stock he told me that discount tire would give me full credit for the 2 remaining tires ($159 each plus $100 each for the 2 new ones i just bought - which i was paid back for)
now that is customer service and why i buy from them..
i wont get the G's until i can find a replacement mag wheel someplace..
hope this sheds some lite on it for you...
i support discount tires 100%
good rv'ing, jerry kerns

clay1969

One other thing I forgot to mention. The day I bought this 5th wheel used from Camping World I drove it off the lot with 80psi in all four tires. At that time didn't think about it. They preped this rig for me and told me to run 80psi in the tires. REALLY, this is a G rated tire with 110psi not 80psi! No wonder the side walls failed with over the years with only inflated to 75% capacity!

Sandpirate69

Possibly Camping World said that because they knew the rig had 80psi rims. They should have told you about the max psi for those rims.

Ivan