Buying new truck; long bed vs. short bed?

JanAndBill

Personally I like the long bed. The resale value used to be better on the long beds, don't know if that's still the case.

priorguy

I may only have a TT and an LD truck, but the short bed fit in my garage (just) and is easier to maneuver when not towing. Truck is mostly a grocery getter or family station wagon. If only somebody still made a full frame V8 family station wagon like the old "Family Truckster" that could tow a house. I think it's personal decision based on your circumstances, and sometimes what's on the dealers lot.

We tow our 5th wheel with a Dodge quad cab short bed diesel. our trailor is on a seasonal site most of the time. we go on a vacation trip and to winter storage and back. We have a pull rite super glide hitch. Hitch works great! If we were full timers or towing our rv alot i would get a long bed, but but for us right now our set up works really nice! I think it's more personal preference than anything.
Matt

Mrsfish

When we decided to upgrade to a 1 ton, we also had a serious discussion on where we were going with our rig. Our final decision was that we wanted shorter vs longer. We went with a 3010re and moved from a long bed to a short bed. LOVE our decision. We are very flexible and for the dry camping situations we like to do, we are very happy with our decision. It was hard to give up the LB for my husband, but not for me. I hated driving the long bed in town (when not towing). It was just toooo big. The SB has handled our rig perfectly -cross winds, hills, turns. We know we limited ourselves from future upgrades, but we also know who we are. No neighbor envy here. :)

Eddhuy

I too prefer the short bed but with ford the long bed has a higher capacity fuel tank with the long bed but went with short bed anyway.

Mrsfish

When we bought our 1 ton, we got the dealer to throw in the Titan tank as the deal maker(told him we couldn't believe that an engineer would put a 27 gal in a truck that was intended to either tow or work). We now have a SD f350 lariat CC SWB with the ultimate package. 50 gal Titan tank, Firestone air ride bags and just ordered the flip tonneau cover. Happy, happy, happy

porthole

Retired
The newer and larger Ford Diesel trucks are suppose to have the front axle extended wider making the turning radius much smaller.
BC

Only the 450 DRW.

If I was buying a truck to only pull the TT RBS, or you do not plan on traveling a lot - 4 door SB and a Titan tank. BTDT.

If I was buying to pull a 5Th wheel, the LB offers so much more versatility, especially if you add a tool box and big hitch BTDT.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Only the 450 DRW.

If I was buying a truck to only pull the TT RBS, or you do not plan on traveling a lot - 4 door SB and a Titan tank. BTDT.

If I was buying to pull a 5Th wheel, the LB offers so much more versatility, especially if you add a tool box and big hitch BTDT.

I don't' know about the the 350 but the turning radius on our 450 is great.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Only the 450 has the wider axle.
The 450 can almost do circles inside of the 350

When we were choosing our truck the sales manager had the 450 on the lot. When I asked about it he told me the turning wasn't as good as the 350. After I drove it I thought WOW if this is bad I'd like to know his idea of good.