buying new truck need new hitch

beck-mark

purchasing a new ford f350 with the pucks under bed rails. Ive read a lot of different opinions about the reese and the B&W but not much on the OE series pullrite hitches. looking for any experience or just preference all opinions welcomed. the one thing I see is the reese is rated for 25.5K and the pullrite for 25k but the B&W for ford only 20k. ive been pulling for years with a reese 16k with above bed rails so will be only hitch I can compare to. buying new truck because of new camper.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have the Reese Signature Series which is the same as the now Elite since 2006. I had it in my previous Chevy and now in my new Ford with the OEM puck system . I wouldn't have anything else , problem free all these years .

jlhardy

I installed a B&W Companion on my 2015 Silverado (no pucks). I am really impressed by the quality of the hitch. Fit, finish and workmanship are first rate. Latching and unlatching is smooth. I did a lot of research before I went with the B&W and I'm pleased with the purchase.
Good Luck and Happy Towing.

happykraut

I installed the 25000 lb B&W Companion into my 2015 RAM. I can't imagine finding a higher quality hitch. It is unbelievably smooth and built with top notch quality. It is a bit pricey though.

DWChris

I pull a 2014 Landmark with a Ford F450. I love my Hensley TS3. Highly recommend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beck-mark

wow that Hensley is a little more money than I wanted to spend or a lot more really. I am sure they are the Cadillac though.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ditto on the TS3. It is expensive but sure protects the rig and the truck from damage

IronJ

Had the factory setup with new pullrite isr rail adapters in old 350...with the isr 24k superglide. ..hands down best slider...I now have the B&W companion (don't need slider)..can't imagine anythjng working easier/better.....

I have the 24k superglide hitch laying in my shed if you decide you want that shoot me a mssg!..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

scottyb

I'm partial to B&W. I had both the Turnover Ball Companion and the Ford OEM Companion. Whatever you get, get one that matches the pucks. It would be a shame to not utilize that option of easy removal, 2 min in/out, no tools. Best option Ford ever came out with IMO.

pegmikef

When I bought my F350 I was advised to get the Reese Elite as the Ford OEM set up was made to fit them. All the others needed some kind of conversion kit (this was 2013). I have the Reese Elite 18K hitch (per Goshen Weighin my weight is 14,500 loaded). I have pulled my BH 19,403 miles (just updated my log yesterday) with no problems and it pulls great and easy hookup/unhook (once you learn the sweet spots!). This is my first fiver so I have no comparison, but after my experience with this hitch I have no intention of changing. It was a little pricey, but worth it.

beck-mark

I'm partial to B&W. I had both the Turnover Ball Companion and the Ford OEM Companion. Whatever you get, get one that matches the pucks. It would be a shame to not utilize that option of easy removal, 2 min in/out, no tools. Best option Ford ever came out with IMO.

deffinitly getting a hitch to utilize the pucks ive cussed those rails in bed for to many years. I agree it is the best option ever thought about I would really like to shake the guy or gal's hand that thought of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Had the factory setup with new pullrite isr rail adapters in old 350...with the isr 24k superglide. ..hands down best slider...I now have the B&W companion (don't need slider)..can't imagine anythjng working easier/better.....

I have the 24k superglide hitch laying in my shed if you decide you want that shoot me a mssg!..

thanks for the offer but will not need a slider with 8 foot bed. how does the pullrite compare in quality to the B&W? Im really leaning toward the pullrite OE which uses the pucks because it is 25k compared to B&W 20k, a little more safety factor.

- - - Updated - - -

When I bought my F350 I was advised to get the Reese Elite as the Ford OEM set up was made to fit them. All the others needed some kind of conversion kit (this was 2013). I have the Reese Elite 18K hitch (per Goshen Weighin my weight is 14,500 loaded). I have pulled my BH 19,403 miles (just updated my log yesterday) with no problems and it pulls great and easy hookup/unhook (once you learn the sweet spots!). This is my first fiver so I have no comparison, but after my experience with this hitch I have no intention of changing. It was a little pricey, but worth it.

I read a post somewhere that did say with the B&W it required some kind of adapter to fit the ribs in the bed but haven't seen anyone else that uses them post that and haven't seen anything about that on the pullrite.

IronJ

Honestly they are both excellent products and either quality is exceptional. ..the superglide I had was a BEHEMOTH! !!..easily 300lbs....it was on removable rails, but taking it out was nothing short of a chore and required a forkift...

I now have the 20k companion...it's not light by any means, but the head comes off the body. ..I can remove it by me self if need be...

Both systems leave a clean bed.

The glide required a capture plate to facilitate the cam for sliding...which is another expense..

I looked at B&W for a slider but theirs was only rated to 18k and not auto..

You really cannot go wrong with either brand...

Imoh the turnover and companion are the perfect combo if you tow frequently and don't need a slider...I can pull the goose car hauler or the 5er all from one removable system...

I specifically order my trucks without factory prep when possible for that reason...

Also as the bed adapters yes...there are lil plastic rails that mount on the companion and fit in the bed floor dip...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We just got the Companion to fit our 2013 GMC that we just bought that had the turnover ball. Very easy to install and remove, but it is heavy, even in pieces. the long rubber pieces on the bottom fit into the ribs of the bed. You can install those rubber pieces two ways, skinny side down or wide side down, and they should fit most rib configurations according to the install video I watched.

beck-mark

Honestly they are both excellent products and either quality is exceptional. ..the superglide I had was a BEHEMOTH! !!..easily 300lbs....it was on removable rails, but taking it out was nothing short of a chore and required a forkift...

I now have the 20k companion...it's not light by any means, but the head comes off the body. ..I can remove it by me self if need be...

Both systems leave a clean bed.

The glide required a capture plate to facilitate the cam for sliding...which is another expense..

I looked at B&W for a slider but theirs was only rated to 18k and not auto..

You really cannot go wrong with either brand...

Imoh the turnover and companion are the perfect combo if you tow frequently and don't need a slider...I can pull the goose car hauler or the 5er all from one removable system...

I specifically order my trucks without factory prep when possible for that reason...

Also as the bed adapters yes...there are lil plastic rails that mount on the companion and fit in the bed floor dip...

According to pullrite web page the OE hitch they have also takes apart in 2 pieces to aid in putting in and out of bed. Ive been lifting my old 16k reese for about 20yrs by myself and I can tell you it weighs a lot more now than it did 20 yrs ago. I really like the idea of only lifting half the hitch at a time.

scottyb

I read a post somewhere that did say with the B&W it required some kind of adapter to fit the ribs in the bed but haven't seen anyone else that uses them post that and haven't seen anything about that on the pullrite.

Nothing else needed. It matches the pucks perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 65

oldfitter

I bought the companion 25K hitch for my Ram with the puck system. It is beefy and I bought it from etrailer. com at the best price I could find plus free shipping. I bought several items from them. A gooseneck ball for puck system, bike carrier, and front hitch for bikes.

VAbow

A friend of mine has the new F350 with the pucks and installed he OEM Pullrite. Fit great but is a pain to hook up to the king pin. He was wanting to use the nylon disk so he wouldn't have to grease up the hitch. Can not use the disk? Hope this helps.

IronJ

I have heard of issues with the pullrite. Hitch angle etc....I have the disc on my companion ...wirks fine on my lippert 1621shd pin box and I know it fits with the B&W puck hitch for ford as well....at least with a lippert 1621 ..my neighbor has that setup...

I have a 2011 F-350 with the under bed puck style hitch with an 18K Reese Signature Hitch.
If you look through the two (2) holes on the top of head on either side of the Jaw you will see two (2) hairpin clips.
Always look to see that these are in place before you tow, or the (L) shaped pins could come off while towing and you loose your trailer.
If you pull these off the (L) shaped 1/2" diameter pins, then remove the pins the head will come off.
This makes it into a (2) piece hitch for easy removal.
Total weight of hitch is around 150#
While you have this apart, you can clean and lubricate the places underneath.
I take mine apart, clean and lubricate it twice a year.
I use wheel bearing grease on the inside movable head arms and where the springs contact, and White Grease on the Center Pivot pin and a little Silicone Spray on the Rubber Bumpers.
This job is easy and takes me about 45 minutes to do, because I've done it so often.
That includes me pulling the hitch out of the bed of the truck and cleaning and lubing the pucks and connecting arms on the hitch.
The King Pin also gets cleaned and greased.
There is also one (1) zerk fitting on the top of the head that needs to be greased with a grease gun.
This hitch works perfect, and I love it.
Remember "an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure".
Hockster