Buying this year, Questions (Montana vs. Bighorn)

K

karykatz

Glad you decided on the 3670. Welcome to the family. Let's get some of your neighbors converted!!

dynaguy

Congrats on your new Bighorn, we purchased a new Cyclone at lakeshore rv this year, they had the bighorn as well , if we had not been in the market for a toy hauler we definetly would have bought the Bighorn, there beautiful!!

scotty

We're on our 6th RV, 3rd 5er. We have a 06 BH 3400 and have been living in it in New Jersey since last April. This winter was one of the coldest and much snow. Can't say enough good about experience. All winter (many 11-12 degree nights) no water freezing, no condensation build-up on windows, and stayed warm. Best 5er we've ever owned. The newer ones are even better. My vote is Go for a BH !!!!

K

karykatz

Scotty,

Thanks for sharing your story with the group. Keep the great comments coming.

Hello,

My wife and I looked at and talked about buying a Montana for years, It was nice and would work for us. Being our first RV we waited and could never make our mind up if it was right for us. However, one day on a trip we had a few hours to kill, I saw a RV dealer on side of the road, so we stopped for fun and walk through many different brands of fifth wheels with the same just ok feeling until we walk through the Heartland. We both agreed instantly it was perfect for us and bought it the same day, we were 2800 miles from home in the car. Yes, I did have to pay someone to drive my truck from Georgia to California and the car back home, but 8 months,5000 miles later we are very happy with no regrets and would do it again.

PS: Being Newbees to RVs and nerver towed, Thank God for the wonderful Heartland Northern California Chapter Owners and Forum for all of there help. We did make it back to Georgia and now on our 2cd long trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pliefeld

My husband and I also looked at the Montana. We really liked it until we found the BH. We bought a 3385RL. The construction is so much better on the BH. We had very little issues with our BH but the problems we did have were addressed and taken care of in a timely matter. The folks at Heartland are helpful and work with you. I know you would enjoy owning a BH.

K

karykatz

What a great story. Glad your happy with your 3385RL. Thanks for your support and comments. Keep them coming.

I encourage everyone who uses Facebook to share your camping stories and photos. Search Bighorn.

Jim-n-Leslie

Charles & Karen -
I know it has been a couple of months since your original post, and I hope you have made your decision on which rig to purchase. Leslie and I looked at both the Montana and the Big Horn, and are quite pleased with out Big Horn for many of the reasons pointed out above. I doesn't get any better than this! What a great support group within the Heartland Forums, and the Big Horn is without equal outside the Heartland family. Best wishes to you!
Jim & Leslie

K

karykatz

Thanks for your support Jim and Leslie. Glad you are enjoying your coach.

chipper

Greetings: this is my first post on this forum. I have been on the road as a full timer for several years and now am comparing the Montana 3400rl and the Bighorn 3585 as replacement units. I tend to push the cold springs and falls before I head South. How drafty are these units compared to the other? Anybody living long term in the Big Horn or Montana have any advice for me? I pull with F-350 dually diesel. Any weight issues? How does the units handle the constant road abuse? It is my intent to replace very soon. So advice is appreciated.
thanks a bunch

Last edited:
K

karykatz

Chipper,

Thanks for your question. Our owners will have some great comments and advice for you. One of my favorites is from Scotty in New Jersey (see below). They use their Bighorn all winter and they love it. It is a great comment. Please let us know if you have any questions.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Greetings: this is my first post on this forum. I have been on the road as a full timer for several years and now am comparing the Montana 3400rl and the Bighorn 3585 as replacement units. I tend to push the cold springs and falls before I head South. How drafty are these units compared to the other? Anybody living long term in the Big Horn or Montana have any advice for me? I pull with F-350 dually diesel. Any weight issues? How does the units handle the constant road abuse? It is my intent to replace very soon. So advice is appreciated.
thanks a bunch

Chipper...Welcome to the Forum.

We've been fulltime in our 08' 3600RL Bighorn for more than three years now. I can tell you we've been in temps in the teens on occasion and for longer periods in temps in the mid to low twenties...have never had an issue, nothing froze, cracked or broke because of cold. Just disconnected water at night and used tank and pump until morning. We've stayed very comfortable using only the furnace and electric fireplace, never using much more than 1-30lb bottle of propane a week under those conditions. Can't compare to Montana, never owned one.

As for holding up under fulltime travel, to date we've had one spring break and one go flat. Had them replaced with 8K springs, along with new GY 614 tires, and no more problems. Everything else in this rig is still original and like new, except we replaced the kitchen faucet due to hard water problems, and flooring and reclilners because I wanted a change..that's it.

The 3585 grosses out at 16K, I think. If your F350 is new you should be within your weight limits...we tow with a Chevy C4500 just to be sure we are WELL within our TV's limits...but that's just us.

I can say we've never been sorry we chose the Bighorn for fulltiming...I'm sure you would feel the same..Good Luck in your decision.

chipper

Thanks for this response. Your rig is definitely a heavy load. ONE THING i WILL DO IN THE FUTURE IS TO REPLACE MY SHACKLE BOLTS WITH GREASABLE ONES. I LEARNED THE HARD WAY.

scotty

thanks a bunch
:cool::D I have the BH 3400RL and have lived in it since April of 09. Spent last winter in Jersey, with several 11-12 degree days/nights, lots of snow. No issues, water never froze, stayed warm, did not notice any drafts. Granted, furnace did run a lot, but no condensation on windows, don't have dual panel either. Couldn't be more pleased.