California Non Comm. Class A License - Catch 22

danemayer

I got my Class A in Texas before picking up our Rushmore. California and a few other states have stricter requirements than Texas and most others. I didn't want to worry about license issues and also wanted some driving practice since the longest trailer I'd ever towed was for a 13' boat, and that was quite a long time ago.

http://austincdlservices.com/ to the rescue. Eddie Torres found out that he could make more money with his truck by helping people get Class A licenses than by hauling stuff. You get unlimited time with his tractor trailer to learn how to drive the actual test route successfully, back up, parallel park, demonstrate the air brakes, etc. He'll tell you when you're ready for the test and will keep going until you pass if more than one road test is needed. He's there every day and all the examiners know him and know what to expect from his students.

Most of Eddie's students are there so they can get a job, and $1000 or so is a pretty good deal. While I was there, a guy from California showed up. Spent a couple of hours per day practicing for 3 days, took his test and passed. He was issued a Texas Class A CDL and then went home and traded it in for a California license without any testing in California. He said that even with the travel, it was way less expensive than schools in California.

In 2010 Eddie charged $800 for the road test plus $200 for the written test answers. I declined the written part and made my own study guide from the Texas books. I see that his prices have gone up some, but for anyone interested, I'd suggest negotiating.

By the way, in Texas, the exams and road tests for Class A CDL and Class A non-commercial are the same. There's a difference in the application fee - I think the CDL cost $60 for 6 years vs $24 for the non-commercial. I splurged on the CDL.

On a side note, all the state employees in Texas are very confused about requirements for RVs. The booklets, forms and websites use ambiguous and confusing language. When I started looking into what was required, I got many different "official" answers; mostly that I would need at least a non-commercial Class A. When I finally tracked down the actual statute, the language was crystal clear in exempting drivers of personal use RVs from needing higher class licenses. All of the derivative documents from the DMV made it sound otherwise. Unfortunately for Californians, the language is pretty clear - in the other direction.

Speedy

The biggest problem I have with getting a CDL is when you complete the testing and receive it you have signed away a number of your rights regarding probable cause and drug testing. In MN if you have a CDL the DUI limit is half .04 the officer stopping you can demand a urine or blood test and you must comply. If they want to search your car or truck they can without your consent.

I was talked out of getting one when I had a sports car racing team because you'll never be able to keep up with all the changes in laws as well as those laws apply when you are not driving your rig. It's always a CDL not just when you the required rig.

wdk450

Speedy and All:
Yesterday I saw a SOB 5er with truck, trailer and a towed Smartcar on the L.A. area freeways, with California plates. As I recall the only legal way to do this in California is to have a full-blown California Commercial Drivers License.
That rig is what I have been thinking about - Having all of the size and slideouts of the Bighorn with an ECONOMICAL way to explore an area when parked for long term (lower) RV park rates. Maybe I will enroll in truck driving school, or sign on with a hauler that gives free training.

drzr

"...When I finally tracked down the actual statute, the language was crystal clear in exempting drivers of personal use RVs from needing higher class licenses."

Where and what statue is this? Thanks

fawsty

Don't forget, even with a full class A license in Ca., there is still a limit on the total length of the combo. If the guy was pulling a large 5er, and a car behind, I would bet he was well over the length limit. I don't know what the limit is off the top of my head, but it's certainly there.

Swanny59

It states in the California Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook - 2011

A class C license may drive "5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation."

A Noncommercial Class A license: Any vehicle under Class C. And you may tow: "
  • Travel trailers weighing over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, not used for hire.
  • 5th-wheel travel trailers weighing over 15,000 lbs., not used for hire."

The above info is in each CA drivers handbook. I could not find the applicable vehicle code violation.

frumbawa

A class C license may drive "5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation."

This is only half of it. In California, if your 5th wheel is over 10K but under 15k, you must also have a Recreational Vehicle Endorsement attached to your Class C license. It's easy to get. Simply pass a written test and you're good to go. I not sure it even costs any money. Oh wait, this is CA. I'm sure it costs money.

This link is from the same source as above, just different page.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm

wdk450

Gang:
My Bighorn 3670RL (along with a lot of Landmarks and other Bighorns) is 16000 lbs GVW, over the Ca. 15000 lb limit.

danemayer

"...When I finally tracked down the actual statute, the language was crystal clear in exempting drivers of personal use RVs from needing higher class licenses."

Where and what statue is this? Thanks

Link to the Texas Statute that defines the requirement for different license classes and all the other rules.

Search on "Sec. 522.004. APPLICABILITY. (a) This chapter does not apply to:"

(4) a recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use;

A few lines later you'll find this definition:
"In this section, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed
as temporary living quarters for recreational camping or travel use. The term
includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, and motor home."
</pre>

fawsty

WDK450;

I have that same trailer, which is why I followed the rules and got my license. 16,000 GVWR. It does not matter that the trailer and tanks are empty, it's what it's rated at.

danemayer

The discussion on this topic always seems to revolve around whether the law is actually enforced or whether your insurance will pay if there's an accident. There are other things do be concerned about.

Do a Google search for "California RV Accidents" and see how many lawyer links come up.

Now let's say there's an accident where the other party is injured and you're at fault. You were towing your 39 foot Bighorn at the time but you didn't bother getting the required license because the law's not being enforced. As you were merging onto the highway, you didn't notice the motorcyclist in the right-hand lane and forced him off the road. He broke an arm and a hip.

You have a nice California home valued at $600K, a beautiful luxury RV worth $60K, a big diesel truck that cost $50K, and have even managed to save $40K for the kids to go to college. In the eyes of most people, you're "rich". You're at fault. It takes the injured party a few seconds searching Google to find an attorney specializing in RV accidents who will happily sue you.

You have $100K of liability insurance for each incident but you get a letter from your insurance company advising you that the injured party (who has no medical insurance) is suing for $300K to cover the $120K E/R bill, and projected future medical expenses, as well as attorney's fees. They suggest you should hire an attorney to protect your interests. The insurance company notifies you that they plan to settle for their $100K and you're responsible for anything beyond that amount. Your attorney thinks you will lose if you go to court and explains the phrase "reckless disregard" as it relates to getting the proper license. He suggests you try to settle for $100K out of pocket in addition to the insurance company payout.

Farfetched scenario? Seen any E/R bills lately?

wdk450

I am ready to follow the rules and take the test if I could only GET to the test legally (and not risk having my rig impounded). At the end of the trip I am now on, I will check in with the Commercial Licensing Center in West Sacramento and see if they will give me a provisional license after taking the written test, so that I can get to the driving test legally.
BTW, you cannot take the driving test at ANY California DMV office - Just at the offices listed in the RV handbook (Like the West Sacramento Commercial Center).

I have previously dilligently attempted to get to the test site legally by: 1) Attending a group meeting of the Escapees with about 40 RVers present. No one had the required license. 2)Contacting a RV driving school in nearby Auburn, Ca. They declined to drive me to the test. 3) E-mailed RV haulers advertising on Craigslist locally to hire them to take me to the test. No one replied.

WDK450;

I have that same trailer, which is why I followed the rules and got my license. 16,000 GVWR. It does not matter that the trailer and tanks are empty, it's what it's rated at.

fawsty

wdk450;

Where are you right now? I'm in Bakersfield, and the office here on F street does these. If you are coming through here on your way home, and can make the appointment to match, I'll get with you and get this thing done. If this is not going to work, we can work out a date/time that will work. I'm pretty flexible right now.

Steven

wdk450

Steven:
Thanks for the offer. I have some commitments on this trip, and a possible temp assignment at a hospital in San Jose as soon as I get home.

My present intention regarding the driving test is to try what one of the other posters said will work: that is, do the written which should get me a temporary permit to get to the driving test, then pass the driving test. I will post if this works.

I want to do this for everyone else having this problem as much as for myself so everyone will then have a way out of the Catch 22.

fawsty

Ok, that will work. I did that same thing, and was told I could drive with the permit, to practice my driving skills, and go take the test. It worked for me, it should for you. If that does not work, let me know if you need assistance.

Steven