Calling It Quits

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
...from the Fire Service. Decided that May 1 will be my official "retirement" date from the Grand Blanc Fire Department. I've been with them for 21 1/2 years and being past 69, I ain't getting any younger. Counting my USAF Reserve time, I've got over 41 years being associated with the Fire Service. It's been great, but I can tell it's getting harder for me to keep on doing it. The physical demands take their toll. I'll be turning over most of the training materials I've developed to one of our young firefighters that is working on becoming a certified fire instructor. I have no plans to continue teaching subjects once I leave.

What to do now? Keep on using our rig like a summer cottage in Northern Michigan, only more so, since I won't have to worry about training schedules, run quotas and all the other time demands that go with it. I've got plenty of home projects and we will still travel without the rig occasionally. Already have a cruise booked for summer of next year!

'Lil Guy'

Sounds like you've earned it John. There is life after work. Take it all in and enjoy it. Stay active and hope to see you down the road.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Congrats on retirement John. I know you and Darlene are going to enjoy it. Take off, go places, see sights. You won't regret it. I know Carol and I certainly haven't.

carl.swoyer

...from the Fire Service. Decided that May 1 will be my official "retirement" date from the Grand Blanc Fire Department. I've been with them for 21 1/2 years and being past 69, I ain't getting any younger. Counting my USAF Reserve time, I've got over 41 years being associated with the Fire Service. It's been great, but I can tell it's getting harder for me to keep on doing it. The physical demands take their toll. I'll be turning over most of the training materials I've developed to one of our young firefighters that is working on becoming a certified fire instructor. I have no plans to continue teaching subjects once I leave.

What to do now? Keep on using our rig like a summer cottage in Northern Michigan, only more so, since I won't have to worry about training schedules, run quotas and all the other time demands that go with it. I've got plenty of home projects and we will still travel without the rig occasionally. Already have a cruise booked for summer of next year!
Congratulations on your retirement.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Congratulations John. Hopefully you'll look back a year from now and wonder why you didn't retire earlier.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Maybe I should clarify a bit. GBFD has been a part-time, paid-on-call position. Since 2010, we’ve been a combination dept. with a crew of four on duty 24/7. The crew is a full-time driver and 3 of us part-timers on 8 hour shift increments. As such, I’ve been averaging 64 hours or more each month on shift. Add to that off-duty “All-Calls,” county HazMat calls, and training sessions and it became a lot of time commitment. This is actually my third retirement, only this one doesn’t come with benefits like my GM and USAF ones did. Still, it was not an easy decision to call it quits. Just didn’t want to hang on so long that they had to build an ADA-compliant ramp for me to get into the trucks.

But I do appreciate the well wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Congrats, enjoy and Thank You!. Take time to sip your morning cup of Joe, watch the birds land in the feeder and smell the fresh air. Probly the last thing you want to see is a campfire tho! LOL I'm looking at tossing in the towel in <8 years or so of driving a semi (all local). When I started back in '85, said "Aw retirement is far away". Where did 30+ years go already? Nonetheless my friend, enjoy and again Thank you for your service to our country and your community.

ffdon

retired Michigan Chapter Leaders
Maybe I should clarify a bit. GBFD has been a part-time, paid-on-call position. Since 2010, we’ve been a combination dept. with a crew of four on duty 24/7. The crew is a full-time driver and 3 of us part-timers on 8 hour shift increments. As such, I’ve been averaging 64 hours or more each month on shift. Add to that off-duty “All-Calls,” county HazMat calls, and training sessions and it became a lot of time commitment. This is actually my third retirement, only this one doesn’t come with benefits like my GM and USAF ones did. Still, it was not an easy decision to call it quits. Just didn’t want to hang on so long that they had to build an ADA-compliant ramp for me to get into the trucks.

But I do appreciate the well wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats maybe we can see you at rally in empire this year