Camper Wannabes

Let me first start by introducing myself, new to this site. My name is Chuck and my wife and I live in Northern Illinois, about a mile from Wisc border. I'm trying to plan ahead for semi-retirement in a few years. I'm hoping to purchase a 5th wheel and truck possibly next year and start easing into becoming full timers. The plan is also to leave this miserable high tax state to a state that is better suited for full time RV'rs. My wife is not comfortable not having a "home" to go home to so my qustion is this. Which state is the best to own a inexpensive home, while being semi-retired ( I'll probably work 6months a year on the road) and spend most of our time in the RV? Where should our home base be? I have read a lot on the subject but rather hear from people with actual expierence.
Thanks, Chuck D

danemayer

Hi Chasandra86,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Taxes can be a big concern. One reason there are so many people moving to Texas is that in addition to having jobs, Texas has no state income tax. There's also a very attractive cost of living here. And it's a nice place to spend the winter.

There are also a lot of full-timers on the forum who I'm sure will offer their ideas.

TexAndLinda

I will agree with "danemayer," Texas is one of the better states on the cost of houses. But will put caution to property tax, I know I have talked to different people being a utility worker here and seen property taxes be as much as $10,000 difference between communities. I never understood it, our Realtor said, it usually the first question they are asked about, when someone goes to look at a house.
Tarrant County - Fort Worth, Texas

ParkIt

Quite a few of my high school friends have gone full timing in the last year, they are just now selling their homes. They had the same thinking of wanting a stick built and a full time living unit - eventually the 5th wheel won out. Now they are looking at condo's in the lower price range in warmer climates, there are some good deals to be had and you still aren't bogged down with too much stuff and expense.
Two more weeks for us then we'll be in the same boat!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
You can own propery anywhere, and then choose a different state of residence. Choose your resident state based on factors like lowest or no income tax...for us it was South Dakota. Then buy your home base considering factors such as lowest property tax, etc. As long as you abide by state residency laws, you do not have to claim the home base as your residence.

Thank you for all the responses. I look forward to the research, I know I have a lot to learn. It's a relief to know I can claim residency in a different state than where I own property. I'm sure we will want a place close to our kids once they settle and start spitting out grand babies and I'm guessing that won't be SD.
Next question. So far our combo of choice is CY 4000 and a 2011 or newer F450. The CY 4000 because we like the layout and hope to park a smart car in the garage. We will need 2 cars if I continue to work. The Ford because it can handle the towing (on paper) and I like the looks of the F450. Your opinion counts a lot so I'd love to hear of your expierence with either of these two and advice or what I should be aware of.
Thanks, Chuck D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chuck, a newer 350 will do the job. Montana is not a bad state...no sales tax and property taxes are low.