Campground recommendations in TN along or on the BlueRidge Parkway

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
All,

I was asked by a friend who is headed to TN to camp along the Blue Ridge if I ( we ) have any campground recommendations. He is camping in an SOB TT toyhauler and will be setting up camp for a week as a home base for daily Motorcycle rides on the Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding areas.

Thanks for any recommendations you can provide, I will be sure to pass them along

Kevin

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Natural Bridge KOA in VA is close (right off I81) . Rocky Top Campground in NE TN is terrific, small but great campground (also right off I81). We also like Country Waye near Luray, VA (it's a KOA now - off US 340, just North of Luray).

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The Blue Ridge Parkway really doesn't run thru TN but there are a couple of campgrounds near the mountains. Lakeview campground http://www.lakeviewrvpark.com in Bluff City, TN (near Bristol Motor Speedway), Baileytown RV Park on I-81 and of course all the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. North Carolina has an array of campgrounds in Cherokee, Asheville, and Waynesville area. All are near the Parkway.

recumbent615

OK - I stand corrected. I really should look at a map before I start repeating things...

Ok so my friend is planning a trip next month to Camp along the Blue Ridge Parkway somewhere in the middle so they can ride the parkway both north and south so after looking at a map that would be somewhere around the NC/VA line.

any thoughts on Campgrounds just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, since it appears that all camping on the actual BRP is run by the federal government and reservations may be hard to come by in Aug.

Thanks

Lou_and_Bette

Kevin, I have never camped along the Blue Ridge but had a friend who started down the Blue Ridge on his way home from Maine and he reported he had to get off because there are some very low clearances on that road.

recumbent615

Thanks I will pass that along. I think he is more interested on riding his motorcycles on the blue ridge than towing on it. He also has a TT so clearance may not be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Kevin - been on the BRP many times and from end to end.
There are a few low bridges to be concerned about and not a lot of warning either. The campgrounds on the BRP are mostly small sites, better for tenters. The BRP runs along 81 for a good stretch so it would be convenient for him to pick a spot then do the BRP.

The BRP is 35 mph for most of the length and it takes 2 days to ride from end to end.
It is a nice road.

If he is set on the camper then I would suggest maybe first camp at the start of the north end near Waynesboro, VA. Ride Skyline drive to Front Royal and turn around and ride it back. Taking it north and south will offer two vies for the same ride. Tell him not to miss the "Natural Bridge" That will take all day.

From there maybe do the BRP south 100 miles jump off to 81 and head back to camp. Pack up and move 175 miles south the "Fancy Gap" area camp and do it again.
The BRP is about 465 miles long and by far the best part of it is the last 100 miles or so. Highest elevations best views etc.

From there if he heads to the Maggie Valley area there is plenty of camping and endless miles of awesome roads to ride.

I'll be there in September.