Campgrounds around Calgary, Jasper & Vancouver Canada

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am going to take a short trip into Canada very soon. I will be leaving from my cousins home in Oregon and returning to Oregon.
I have never been in this area and would like some suggestions as to Campground/RV Parks to stay and some of the things to see.

I am thinking of staying about a week in Calgary, Jasper and Vancouver. About 2 days at places in between. Below is a map of my tentative route.

All suggestions are appreciated.

BC
Canadian graphic.jpg

brianharrison

Hi Bob,

I just got back from camping this weekend, and I can offer up a couple of suggestions. I have not stayed overnight in Jasper for a very long time, but I do remember the camp grounds in the Banff and Jasper national parks as very small sites.

Give me a day or so to pull something together for you with links to camp grounds. I am just tied up this evening.

Brian

MurrayN.

Hi Bob
We stay at the Radium Valley Vacation Resort at Radium BC, approx 3 hrs drive west of Calgary in the Rockies. Fantastic place with a bunch of new drive through full service sites. Beautiful location. Great amenities. Check out www.radiumvalleyvacationresort.com . Hot as blazes up here right now but supposed to cooling off a bit by the weekend. We also stay at Calaway Park on the west side of Calgary where they have full service pull through sites but not much else on site. There info is www.calawaypark.com . Good luck and enjoy Canada.

brianharrison

Hi Bob,

I looked at your route map and can suggest the following campgrounds, I have stayed at most of them.

Near Cranbrook, the Moyie Lake Provincial campground is nice. You can reserve with the BC government online, or you can take your chances on the first come first served.
Just after Crowsnest pass (visit the Frank Slide here) there is an Alberta Provincial campground at Beauvais Lake provincial campground is nice.
Near Calgary there are a few campgrounds - the Calgary west is right in town, Aspen crossing is east of Calgary, and Spring Hill is west of Calgary.
Heading back towards the mountains (Banff) I highly recommend staying at Tunnel Mountain Campground, just outside above Banff for 3-4 days and using it as a base for exploring Banff National Park. You must make reservations here, there are 3 tunnel mountain campgrounds, varying services at each.
Heading up the Icefields Parkway (between Banff and Jasper) the rest of the campgrounds are fairly small sites but there is one at the Columbia Icefields (Glacier Tours here and Skywalk attraction; I would do both). This campground is essentially a parking lot. I would stay one night max.
I have not stayed anywhere near Jasper in quite a while so cannot recommend any sites.

I'll do some more looking for the return trip through the Yellowhead highway to Kamloops - I stayed at Barriere a couple of times.

For now,
Brian

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Guys, thanks for the info. I will go through them and the suggestions. If you get down south here some day and need a suggestion of some of the places I have stayed at let me know. I take photos of almost every campground I stay in and also do a review of them on RV Park Reviews.

If I get in your area let me know maybe I can buy you a beer or two.

Thanks
BC