Campgrounds in Maine

mshuping

My husband and I will be taking our maiden voyage in our new Heartland Sundance in May. Any suggestions for campgrounds near the Portland area and Bar Harbor? One that's caught my eye is the Wild Duck Campground in Scarborough - looks very quiet and serene.

lorax

Think about a couple of nights in the National Park Campground at Acadia. There are two that could accommodate a 35' RV we like Seawall. National / State parks typically offer larger, secluded spaces. Your battery and holding tanks are usually good for two nights. When making reservations you may see that some campgrounds are divided into "no-generator" and "generator" sites.
Safe Travels,
Ted

lorax

PS don't forget to stop at LL Bean in Freeport, ME open 24 hours....no locks on the doors.
Ted

loafer

In 2010 we stayed at Timberland Acres rv park in trenton which is about 15-20 minute drive to Bar Harbour .You might hit it lucky as we got a special rate for the month of May at $25.00 per night full hook up s and cable. You will find that anywhere close to Bar Harbour can run you up to $75.00 per night in hi season
Timerland is not fancy but great folks running it and gets good reviews on RV Park Reviews web site. Lots to see and do in Bar Harbour area loved Acadia National park
Unhook and take a drive up cadillac Mountain you can see for miles. Didnt go to Portland area but again check RVpark reviews.com
If you get up near Camden stay at the Camden state park campground its nice.
Hope this helps
Bill

smildrum

We live in Maine. And agree fully- Camden Hills State Park is a great place to stay. It is between Portland and Bar Harbor. A campground we like near Bar Harbor is Hadley's Campground. Amenities include full hook-up availability if that is what you want/need. They are a friendly family owned campground. If you decide not to have full hook-ups they also have honey wagon service in addition to their dump station. We stay there every year once or twice. Off seasonish- Before late June/After Labor day is the best time to be there. You have chosen your visit time wisely! Feel free to PM me with more questions you have. And yes- I will also put in a plug to stop in Freeport and visit L.L.Bean. There is plenty of RV parking on Depot Street if you are just passing through.

Enjoy your trip.
Susan