Campgrounds in San Diego

MCTalley

Looks like I'll be working in San Diego for 3 weeks. I've been looking at a few campgrounds close to the office in which I'll be working (just north of Miramar Marine Air Station). Any recommendations? Cost is generally not an issue as it will be reimbursed by the company.

Was looking at:
Campland on the Bay and Mission Bay Park (?), both on Mission Bay
Also, there was another one near the I-5/I-805 split (Google maps is not responding right now and my Allstays app is not handy at the moment)

I'm sure there are nice ones outside town, but I'd rather not spend 2-3 hours a day in rush hour traffic getting to work.

8paws

We like the San Diego KOA Its close to down town Chula Vista, and has some great walking paths that will take you right down to the bay. Chula Vista RV Resort is also nice it is right on the bay. We may be a little predigest because we lived in CV. for 38 years.:cool:

MCTalley

Going by the various campgrounds' reservations systems, I'm having a time finding anyone with a continuous 3 week block available. Might have to spend some time on the phone tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Mizmary

Ae you DOD? That opens up a few more campgrounds. Specifically Admiral Baker. It isn't the greatest, but in a punch it would do and it's clear to work than the KOA for you.

You can also look up a campground at Sweetwater park.

FlyerChief

If you're going to be at Miramar, check out Santee Lakes. Beautiful park, reasonable prices, and the commute won't be long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

noobee

There's is also the Chula Vista RV resort. I think that's its name?

We stayed there in 2009... very nice & close enough to transit... BUT I found the sites were very small, not very deep & quite narrow... had to park our pickup in a different area.
Gave them a rate of 6.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Going by the various campgrounds' reservations systems, I'm having a time finding anyone with a continuous 3 week block available. Might have to spend some time on the phone tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

This is a frustration I have found with the LA-SD metro area as a whole, if your looking for an extended stay on short notice.
Virtually every Friday and Saturday night is booked with weekend campers. Sunday through Thursday is usually no problem.
Trace

TXTiger

I live in San Diego. Campland on the Bay is nice but pricy and crowded in the summer. Also hard to get a 3 week stay as mentioned. Mission Bay RV park is near Campland but same issues. KOA Chula Vista is also nice but pricy in summer and the traffic north on I-805 from Chula Vista in the morning and south for the drive home can be a hassle. Santee Lakes is inland and hot in summer. Also the commute in rush hour traffic on the 52 freeway can be a problem. I am not aware of a KOA at the I-5/805? If your rig can fit and there is a vacancy check out the State parks along the beach. San Elijo or South Carlsbad are nice. Also if you don't mind the drive Silverstrand State Beach. Still have to deal with the commute but it is nice to camp right on the beach.

MCTalley

Based mainly on what was available and partially on reviews, we ended up with reservations at the Vacationer RV Resort in El Cajon. Anything close to the coast was booked for the weekends. Santee was booked as well. Chula Vista RV Resort and KOA were both pretty well booked.

Thanks for all the suggestions..