Can a Honda EU7000is power both AC units on Silverado 37QB

SDfromSD

I believe the OP was all about getting 50A to run two AC's.

I couldn't find a EU7000 manual but the answers to your questions are probably in the similar EU6500 manual.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31Z25600.pdf

On page 10 the 30A prong on the right is a 4 prong outlet that per page 14 can be set to 120V or 240V.

If you set it to 120V and use a four prong generator adapter like the one below you should be OK to use a 30A/30A to 50A Y adapter. 30A 120V to each side.

http://www.electricgeneratordepot.c...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CIrrhsbO8L8CFVJo7AodeSQAsQ

If you use a Y adapter and put 30A 120V to one side and 30A 240V to the other side, that's a problem. But that should not be possible with the above adapter. Bill's right with a 4 prong 30A plug you have a total of 240V spilt to 120V on each side of your panel, but still only 30A, 240V on one side would be wrong.

Just to make sure you can run the outlet test at Bill's link...

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Gentlemen?

The OP is me, I was the one questioning you on that. Correct that I want to pull 50amp to run 2 AC units. I feel like a MAJOR horses-azz as I have been leading everyone astray with incorrect info. I thought both receptacles were the same 30AMP 3-plug outlets. I made an honest mistake by hardly looking at the unit. I have only used it a couple times. The receptacle on the right is in fact 4-prong. So correct, with the right adapter I should be able to hook directly with a 4-prong twist into my 50AMP cord that Branson4020 suggested. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rodale-1...ale-Adapter-G30AM450AF/202669079?N=5yc1vZc4mv
I did read the info from wdk450 on the 120/240 page, but I don't understand all of it. Should the selector be on the 120 setting, or 240 setting? I would say if I want more than 30AMP I need to be on 240 correct?

branson4020

Icantre Member
The selector, if you have one, disables the 4-wire plug. Looks to me from the pictures that they just have a circuit breaker you can flip off or on. It does not change the output of that 4-wire outlet in any way. That outlet, when powered, has both 120V and 240 volts available simultaneously, just like your 50A park pedestal. You don't get to choose. The rig chooses how to use it. You won't get 50A per leg. You will get about 30A per leg. Plenty to run both ACs and a small arc welder.

SDfromSD

The selector, if you have one, disables the 4-wire plug. Looks to me from the pictures that they just have a circuit breaker you can flip off or on. It does not change the output of that 4-wire outlet in any way. That outlet, when powered, has both 120V and 240 volts available simultaneously, just like your 50A park pedestal. You don't get to choose. The rig chooses how to use it. You won't get 50A per leg. You will get about 30A per leg. Plenty to run both ACs and a small arc welder.

When I say select between 120/240 I'm referring to the switch on the lower left of this picture.
49818117-E2A1-4077-86FB-D072F95F5835.jpg

branson4020

Icantre Member
Hmm, interesting. I'm sure that works just like the 6500 and disables the 4-wire outlet, but this is the picture I was looking at. Looks like you have, maybe, an early or prototype unit?

HornedToad

Should the selector be on the 120 setting, or 240 setting? I would say if I want more than 30AMP I need to be on 240 correct?

SD,

If your EU7000 operates the same as the EU6500 outlined in the manual below (looks the same???) this manual may be able to answer your question.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31Z25600.pdf

On page 14 to use the four prong 30A plug the switch needs to be set to 120 / 240V. This four prong 30A plug set to 240V, is really two separate 120V legs, that are split on the panel (red/black) as outlined in the diagram for a 50A Distribution Panel in the link below. Which is what you'll need to run two AC's.

http://www.dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_ElectricalDistribution.htm

Using this four prong 30A plug is basically the same a Y'ing two 30A three prong plugs together.

Delivering 240V to one side of the panel is the problem to be avoided.

SDfromSD

Branson4020 and HornedToad you guys have it exactly right. If I actually understood this from the beginning you guys suggested right away just to use the 4-prong outlet with an adapter, flip the switch to the 120/240v (not the 120v only) and go! I read a bunch of stuff last night on how to test the output with a volt meter which I'll probably do, but mainly just need to purchase an adapter now. I know the output from the generator will not be like hooked to full 50-amp shore power, but it will still feed the black and red side phases separately and be able to run both ACs and then some. Pretty sure I understand this much better now.
Thanks all for your help!
This is a good site.. http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Has anyone ever tried to make one of these?
test1_6.jpg

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm

HornedToad

SD,

It's a small world. I'm going to admit that my post on this thread were educated guess work as all the others. My camping buddy picked up a Honda FI EU7000is off the dock today for his Sundance 3400QB, which is similar to your trailer. I can now definitely answer the OP based on the actual owners manual and a field test of that generator.

The Honda manual does not specify a break in procedure so we ran the break in outlined for an Onan, one hour at 50% load and another hour at 75% load. He ordered a four prong 30A to 50A adapter and it worked fine with the voltage switch set to 120V / 240V and the 30A protection switch above the four prong plug turned on, as recommended in the last post. Ran it for two hours with that plug, and after the first hour when we turned on the 2nd AC it spiked from 2700 watts to 5700 watts and settled at 4300 watts without a bobble, purred like a kitten. The 2700 watts included the converter, fridge and main AC.

However, you'll see on manual pg 37 below you can get the maximum available amperage using both 30A plugs with a Y connector and the switch set to 120V as posted earlier in the thread. In case you cannot read the photos they are the same page 36 & 37 as in the EU6500 manual @ http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/00X31Z256200.pdf

We're going to the IHRA races this weekend in 100 degree weather so that will be the true test. I'll post next week how she preformed and include fuel consumption.

If you would like a copy of the EU7000is manual (that I couldn't find on the web) PM your email address and I'll forward.

ADDED COMMENTS: In reviewing this thread and opening the photo of your generator in an expanded view I noticed you have a EM7000is and I found that manual here @ http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31Z11604.pdf, everything else in the above post should hold true as the control panels are basically the same on both models. The EM series is an open frame generator and the EU models are the "quiet" generators.

Attachments

• Honda 1.jpg
    Honda 1.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Honda 2.jpg
    Honda 2.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Honda 3.jpg
    Honda 3.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Honda 4.jpg
    Honda 4.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Honda 5.jpg
    Honda 5.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Honda 6.jpg
    Honda 6.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

SDfromSD

You are exactly right HornedToad. The adapter you are showing in the 3rd picture is exactly what I was looking at on Amazon. I do apologize again for misleading info at the beginning. I just needed to look a little closer at the stinking plugs on the unit. I did find the manual for the unit I have in the same spot you linked to. You are correct it is the EM7000is. Looks exactly like this:
us_appliances.13124.2.jpg

I'm not sure of the difference of the open or closed frame, but this one is pretty quiet, especially with ECO Throttle on. Looks like the newer models added some covers on the side. Otherwise they look pretty similar, and equally as HEAVY!
Thanks again for your info and looking forward to the testing results.

HornedToad

SD,

My camping Buddy got a 30A/30A to 50A Y adapter yesterday. With the Y adapter when he turned on the second AC it would blow the fuse on the generator. Sounds like the four prong 30A to 50A adapter is the way to go!!!

UPDATE: I checked with "Gomer", my buddies nickname, and he didn't flip the voltage switch back to the 120V setting required to use both 30A plugs. I'm sure that's why it was blowing the fuse??? We'll try the Y adapter again this weekend.

ADDED COMMENT: We couldn't use the Y adapter as the four prong 30A plug with the switch set to 120V had no power and would blow the fuse using the Y adapter with the switch set to 120V / 240V. The four prong 30A to 50A adapter worked flawlessly all weekend and ran both AC's without fault. The 5 gallon tank ran one AC over 13 hours.

Last edited:

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
So I purchased the Honda EU7000is, and will be picking it up tomorrow. We are taking delivery on our Big Country 3800 in a couple of days. What plug do I need to go from the 30A to the 50A for the RV, and the switch/selector should be on the 120/240 selected, correct?? I guess the standard 30A to 50A plug that was shown in a previous pic would work with no problems.

Mark

branson4020

Icantre Member
You need an adapter like THIS one. Switch the generator to enable the 240V output and the 4-wire outlet on the genny will supply 2 120V legs at about 35A each.

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
You need an adapter like THIS one. Switch the generator to enable the 240V output and the 4-wire outlet on the genny will supply 2 120V legs at about 35A each.

So that would be the 120/240 setting correct? Just dont want to fry anything!

Edit - Just saw what it needed to be, thanks to everyone for this post. Great info, and just what I needed. Learned alot!

Last edited:

SilverRhino

The following product review states that this adapter is limited to 30 amps. Would this not be a problem if trying to run two ACs?

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Model # G30AM450AF

Internet # 202669079

Mighty Cord 30 Amp to 50 Amp RV adapter cord. Adapts 30 Amp generator for use with 50 Amp RV cord. The 30 Amp generator connector is a 4-prong locking male connector. The adapter cord is constructed with 10AWG, heavy duty cord for safe outdoor use. The cord is 1 ft. in length. Please note cord electrical capacity is 30 Amps. RVs with 50 Amp electrical systems may exceed 30 Amp capacity limiting the appliances that can be run at the same time.

• Adapts 30 Amp generator for use with 50 Amp RV outlet. Please note cord electrical capacity is 30 Amps. RVs with 50 Amp electrical systems may exceed 30 Amp capacity limiting the appliances that can be run at the same time
  • Locking generator 30 Amp 4-prong male connector
  • Heavy duty 10AWG cable
  • 1ft. length
  • Please note cord electrical capacity is 30 Amps. RVs with 50 Amp electrical systems may exceed 30 Amp capacity limiting the appliances that can be run at the same time