Can I run both electric and propane water heater at the same time?

truckmen

Hello all Heartland peeps!

Just wondering..

in an attempt to recover my hot water a bit quicker so that the next person in my "circle" could get in the shower, could it be possible to use both my propane system as well as my electric heating system to get the hot water up faster or would I run the risk of burning out an element, etc?

Thanks again all.

Alina and Ralph M Bohm

MCTalley

Hello all Heartland peeps!

Just wondering..

in an attempt to recover my hot water a bit quicker so that the next person in my "circle" could get in the shower, could it be possible to use both my propane system as well as my electric heating system to get the hot water up faster or would I run the risk of burning out an element, etc?

Thanks again all.

Alina and Ralph M Bohm

Should be fine. We do that under the same circumstances from time to time and haven't seen any ill effects.

truckmen

Fantastic!

Thanks both for the quick reply. Ohhhhh, my wonderful, caring bride will be so happy to hear that she doesn't have to wait so long after I've used up all the hot water. ;-)

Ralph

MCTalley

Another benefit is after you've been traveling, get all set up and find out a few hours later that nobody turned on the hot water heater. Five to ten minutes with both switches on and a shower or sink full of dishes is not a problem.

coram8

Seperate question along the same lines. The switches on the hot water heater in our Gateway say 12v And 120 (Our old camper had propane and electric and I would always run them together.) Can these be run together? Is there a benefit?

danemayer

Seperate question along the same lines. The switches on the hot water heater in our Gateway say 12v And 120 (Our old camper had propane and electric and I would always run them together.) Can these be run together? Is there a benefit?

This is exactly the same question. The 120V switch turns on the electric heating element. The 12V switch turns on the ignition circuits to fire the propane.

If you would like more info on how the water heater operates, look over our owner-written Water Heater Usage Guide. The same folder has other user guides covering many other things you may find helpful.

BusManRG

Actually it's exactly the same question! The 12 V switch is propane/battery and the 120 switch is electric/shore power. Our class C had been marked propane and electric like your old camper. Took me a while to get used to the new markings!

Sandy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro