Can our truck pull our BH270?

redy2roll

We are really new to owing/pulling. a travel trailer. We purchased our 2018 BH270 from my brother. We have been told, by family and friends, that our 2014 F150 4x4 supercrew 3.5L ecoboost V6 will pull it (the truck also has a tow package). When we pulled it home from Las Vegas, our truck seemed to "over heat". Not sure if it was the weather (110+) or our inexperience. Would like your input before we look to trade in our F150 for a bigger truck.

NYSUPstater

Stats of the RV? What is gear ratio of the truck? What is trucks RV capacity? Did the truck do a lot of downshifting/upshifting? Headwind?

CoveredWagon

I wouldn't do it especially in the mountains. It looks like the GVWR is 7750 for the BH270. That seems a lot for that truck, which is already pretty heavy. A 1/2 ton pickup with V8 would be my second choice. Personally I'd prefer any 3/4 ton for pulling any RV.
Just my humble opinion

Last edited:

jerryjay11

Don't forget the braking capability of your truck. Also do use the "Tow Mode" switch if available, though I believe all have it now. Tow mode allows the transmission to shift at more efficient and ideal torque.

david-steph2018

We are really new to owing/pulling. a travel trailer. We purchased our 2018 BH270 from my brother. We have been told, by family and friends, that our 2014 F150 4x4 supercrew 3.5L ecoboost V6 will pull it (the truck also has a tow package). When we pulled it home from Las Vegas, our truck seemed to "over heat". Not sure if it was the weather (110+) or our inexperience. Would like your input before we look to trade in our F150 for a bigger truck.
My thoughts, the truck is too small to handle the trailer, especially in mountains. Towing is one part of the towing equation, stopping is the other part. Trailer brakes have to function properly along with the truck braking system to stop the rig.
A 3/4 ton would be good, but I would go ahead and look at a SWD 1-ton pickup (single wheel drive).
Even consider a dually, plan ahead.
If you really like RVing, and later want a bigger rig, you will already have the truck.

MDH2021

Hello redy2roll,

Start here: http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/TravelTrailerCatScales and http://learntorv.com/how-to-weigh-a-travel-trailer/. Note the placard on the driver's door frame, you will need the front gross axle weight rating (GAWR), rear gross axle weight rating (GAWR), the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), current wheel and tire size, hopefully they are the same size as the original on your truck. You also need the weight rating information from your hitch receiver, there usually is a placard on the hitch and it should list both without and with a weight distribution hitch. You should find your rear axle gear ratio. You may need to visit a Ford dealer with your vin or go to: https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...where-can-i-get-a-window-sticker-replacement/ for information on how to get your window sticker if you do not have it. Load your truck and trailer like you normally travel and head to the scales. I find the Weight My Truck from CAT and a Credit Card added to the app makes it easy to weigh with using your phone. You setup the app with the requested information, just make up the information as you like, it doesn't need to be official. Lastly you need the Ford Tow guide for your Truck year. With all these pieces of information you can discern if your setup is within Ford's specifications. Please note that your setup may meet Ford's specifications, but you may not feel comfortable with how the setup performs in various driving conditions such as winds, grades, and speeds. I hope you find this helpful.