Can you turn fridge on while towing?

ApexAZ

We have a dometic gas/electric combo fridge in our new Fuel travel trailer.

Is it okay/safe to turn it on while traveling? If so, if I leave it on auto, will the 7 pin provide enough electric from my truck to run it? 2020 GMC 3500.

Thanks in advance!

danemayer

When not on shore power, most of the required energy comes from propane. You won't need a lot of 12V DC power while towing, so it should run.

Some people advise against running on propane while towing due to fire hazard. The primary risk is at fuel pumps. While diesel isn't too risky, vapor from a nearby gas pump presents a greater risk.

That said, many, many people travel with refrigerator running on propane without incident.

09Busaman

Our fridge is always running when towing as we usually have it full of food and ice. Our previous camper ran propane when towing, our current rig is electric only so it runs off the inverter in transit.

Hollandt

When not on shore power, most of the required energy comes from propane. You won't need a lot of 12V DC power while towing, so it should run.

Some people advise against running on propane while towing due to fire hazard. The primary risk is at fuel pumps. While diesel isn't too risky, vapor from a nearby gas pump presents a greater risk.

That said, many, many people travel with refrigerator running on propane without incident.
It should be noted there are some RV fridges that operate on 12v compressors or could be a residential unit operating on an inverter. So depending on the type it could require a sufficient amount of 12 volt power. It appears based on the description above they have the standard absorption fridge so you are correct that only the control power will be 12v if using propane.

I leave mine on when traveling. It is however necessary to be aware that there is an open flame when operating on LP and it should be shut down when near a source of combustion such as at a gasoline station. Also please be aware of the angle when you park to eat or stop somewhere, as an absorption type fridge can be damaged if operated when it is not level.
Tim

david-steph2018

Another issue you will run into is around the Tidewater area of Virginia. When traveling thru the tunnels your propane bottles must be OFF. There are inspection stations were you MUST stop and they come out and just ask if the bottles are off. We just went thru the tunnels on our way to the Outer Banks from Williamsburg on Wednesday.

carl.swoyer

I have left mine running since 07. Never an issue. When I'm home it runs on ac setting #2. I'm in Florida and the humidity would cause my flu to corrode. Keeping it hot prevents it from rusting while being stored.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

jerryjay11

An added note to this is I have traveled long trips, including cross-country, driving 10 to 12 hours with the fridge off. Even with the fridge off for that period of time all food in the fridge was either still cold or frozen respectively. Never had food spoilage. My test is if the milk is cold enough for me. Hasn't failed me. Knock on wood, I have traveled with LP running and forgot to turn off when fueling. Haven't blown myself up yet. Maybe because the fridge is on the opposite side of my fuel fill and some 30 feet behind me on my camping trailer. Nowadays I just turn the LP off so I don't have to remember to do so at fueling time.