Cancer -- DARN

Lou_and_Bette

Keith, you are in our prayers. As you know, I have gone through the same treatments and wish you the best. One word of advice would be to check out the nutritional supplements at places like GNC. The radiation makes swallowing difficult at times and the supplements can be mixed in liquids. I originally resisted having a feeding tube, PEG tube, placed but due to strong advice from several of my doctors went ahead and got one. For me this was a good thing. Lost 60 pounds in spite of liguid feelings. Don't know what would have happened if I didn't have the tube, 6+ weeks is a long time to go without substantial nutrition. Another piece of equipment I had next to the bed that proved to be of great benefit was a suction machine to help get the very thick secretions in your throat out. A lesser side effect from the radiation was a loss of most of my facial hair so your Santa beard may need to be a fake one from now on. Chemo didn't cause my head hair to fall out. If you or Carol have any questions or just need to talk to someone who has been down the same road, please call me anytime day or night. Fight On brother.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well that really stinks Keith. Linda and I will keep you and Carol in our prayers. Still expect to see you in Goshen though. Fingers crossed.
Mark

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
You are in our prayers and we hope you get through this with a complete remission and speedy recovery!
Rory & Amy

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Keith, you are in our prayers. As you know, I have gone through the same treatments and wish you the best. One word of advice would be to check out the nutritional supplements at places like GNC. The radiation makes swallowing difficult at times and the supplements can be mixed in liquids. I originally resisted having a feeding tube, PEG tube, placed but due to strong advice from several of my doctors went ahead and got one. For me this was a good thing. Lost 60 pounds in spite of liguid feelings. Don't know what would have happened if I didn't have the tube, 6+ weeks is a long time to go without substantial nutrition. Another piece of equipment I had next to the bed that proved to be of great benefit was a suction machine to help get the very thick secretions in your throat out. A lesser side effect from the radiation was a loss of most of my facial hair so your Santa beard may need to be a fake one from now on. Chemo didn't cause my head hair to fall out. If you or Carol have any questions or just need to talk to someone who has been down the same road, please call me anytime day or night. Fight On brother.

Thank you so much Lou. You've given me some excellent suggestions. Loss of my Santa beard has been one of my biggest concerns, but if that's what it takes to get rid of this, then so be it. We'll deal with that as it comes. Thanks for the offer of support, knowing you've been through pretty much the same thing, I may very well be in contact. Naturally one of my biggest fears is the fear of the unknown. I just don't know what to expect. You've already helped in that respect.

To everyone, thanks again for all your prayers and well wishes. I truely believe in the power of prayer, so with the Lords help and all of you on our side, we can't help but beat this thing.