Can't get awning clean- HELP!

Mrsfish

Okay everyone. We have a problem getting our awning clean. We have been negligent in cleaning it off and now we're paying the price. Here's what I ve been doing for the las,t 4 hours:
1) washed with soap and water using soft rv brush and jetted water
2) used magic eraser
3) simple green sprayed on, rolled up for 5 minutes, brushed and rinsed
4) Clorox cleanup rolled on, rolled up for 5 minutes, brushed and rinsed
5) tilex mold and mildew - sprayed on, rolled up and left for 30 minutes.

the white is nice and white, the dust and black stuff is gone, but for the life of me I can't get the rust colored spots off the underside. Anymore ideas?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine was looking pretty nasty, too. Went out and bought a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser floor mop. From the roof, I scrubbed as far as I could reach, then tied a rope around the handle and slid it down to the roller. After than, I stood on a picnic table and scrubbed the lower half again. Then I went underneath and scrubbed it with the same mop. Awning looks like new. Same for the slide toppers.

Magic Eraser sponges work wonders getting tree sap and black streaks off the caps and walls, too.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
JohnDar:
Be careful, sliding down ropes and doing hand stands on top of picnic tables! You know we aren't 23 any longer! So did you have to wet the awning before & during the use of the magic eraser? How many did it take?

HOGHAULER

Okay everyone. We have a problem getting our awning clean. We have been negligent in cleaning it off and now we're paying the price. Here's what I ve been doing for the las,t 4 hours:
1) washed with soap and water using soft rv brush and jetted water
2) used magic eraser
3) simple green sprayed on, rolled up for 5 minutes, brushed and rinsed
4) Clorox cleanup rolled on, rolled up for 5 minutes, brushed and rinsed
5) tilex mold and mildew - sprayed on, rolled up and left for 30 minutes.

the white is nice and white, the dust and black stuff is gone, but for the life of me I can't get the rust colored spots off the underside. Anymore ideas?

Best Product i've used is CLR is made for rust etc.After removing spots treat awning with 303 spray and follow directions .

JohnDar

You can find L.A. Totally Awesome at any Dollar Store. It's also what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Legendary Member
Awesome is great for taking bugs off the front cap too but it will also remove the wax as well.

JohnDar

JohnDar:
Be careful, sliding down ropes and doing hand stands on top of picnic tables! You know we aren't 23 any longer! So did you have to wet the awning before & during the use of the magic eraser? How many did it take?

I can still "slide" down ropes, but can't do hand stands. Since I had already washed the roof, the top of the awning was wet from rinsing the runoff from it. I dipped the mop (not the hand held sponges) in soapy water. I sprayed the underside with water before scrubbing it.

paleclaire

Pine tree sap removal, use wd40. Worked well on my awning and didn't remove color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrsfish

Update- used the 'awesome' brand product that was recommended...no luck. We believe that unfortunately we have permanently stained the underside of the awning with our carelessness. Lesson learned. The awning is really clean, just has lots of these small stain spots on the underside. Put 303 on top and bottoms of awning to add some protectorant back to the awning after all the chemicals and scrubbing we have done. Thanks everyone for your input, wish something would have worked☹️