Car Tires

olcoon

Got a non-RV related auto tire question. DW is wanting to buy a new vehicle & has her heart set on a Toyota RAV-4, from what I've seen at dealers lots they have Toyo tires on them. Does anyone know the quality of these tires as opposed to say Michelin?

danemayer

Hi Roy,

We've had quite a few new Toyotas over the years. I don't remember which if any had Toyo tires, but in general, the original tires never had very good tread life. The figure that comes to mind is somewhere in the 25,000 neck of the woods.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Roy, My first 99 Rav4 (which I had for 13 years) had Yokohama Geolandar tires, which didn't last 36K miles. I went with Michelin LTX M/S. When those wore out, to General Grabber HTS, and was the happiest with the performance of those tires. Unfortunately, I sold the car a year later (230K+ miles).

I bought a used 2011 Rav4. I looked at a few at this dealership, and test-drove one with Firestone FR710 tires, and they looked pretty good. -- All the others had the Toyo tires, and were in need of replacement. I had the dealership switch the tires to the Firestones. However, I failed to realize, the sensors in the tire are programmed to the vehicle to alert the vehicle's LOW TIRE warning light. Unfortunately, I had to take it to a Toyota dealer to have the sensors in the tires re-programmed.

While at the dealer having this done, they noted a bubble on the sidewall of one of the tires! EEK! So I ended up buying one new Firestone FR710, from the local Firestone store a few days later. I'm guessing the tires have 25K or more on them now.

All that to say, I am not happy with the way these tires ride or wear, or how they handle in rain or snow. I have two slow leaks, (one may be a rim problem), but I haven't had the time or money to get them looked at yet. -- My guess is that I'll just need to replace them all.

I'm considering the General Altimax RT43.

olcoon

Thanks for the responses, guess if she gets it, we'll just have to ride them until they buy the farm, & go from there. While walking the lot, I noticed 3 different tire brands on the RAV-4's they had. But of the 3 models Toyota has of the RAV-4 each one had the same type of tire...the Limited had Toyo's the XLE (I think thats what they called it) had Michelin's and the other one had Yokohama, I was thinking of having them just switch tires, but then noticed they all didn't have the same tire size. Oh well it is what it is, if momma is happy everybody is happy!!!

olcoon

Erika, I thought it was interesting (odd?) that of the 3 models of RAV-4 LE, XLE, and LIMITED, the LE & XLE have 17" wheels while the LIMITED has 18" wheels. I'm sure there is a valid reason, but I still think it's "different".

Gaffer, thanks for the info, I've seen them on 18 wheelers, but there is just a little difference between 18 wheeler & SUV tires!

I can't understand why Sally is wanting another Toyota, the one she has now is a 1995 Corolla, and only has 300,000+ miles on it. Sad thing is that basically the only thing we've done to it is change the oil & tires! There have been some other things that cropped up, but I hate to admit it has been good for a rice burner!!! :)