Carefree Travel'r Electric Awning Motor Repair

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Hi Kevin,

Can you share with us your process for identifying and cross-referencing the motor part numbers.

Dan,

Gladly, I found the MFG number on the motor that was installed. I used the great work done by John in the very first post listing the car that he believed it to be from, 1996 Buick Regal. and started to do some research. I was able to get the ACI and Cardone numbers from Advanced Auto Parts and then by looking on the greater Internet I was able to find some vendors who were kind enough to list their part with the OEM GM part number. Additionally I was able to do a visual comparison between units to determine the side of the vehicle it was from and in most cases I looked at it said the rear door, alluding to the fact that the front door may not use the same motor for some models of car at least...

I ordered mine from Amazon - yesterday and it will be here on Saturday - cost 27.00 delivered. Far cry from the $200 that carefree was asking for a motor that costs $5.00-$15.00 in lots of 1000+ from the MFG

it is important that you do a visual of the part before purchasing since some of these do not have the connectors that are needed and have a pigtail wire that may not work in the awning application... best bet is to select a vendor that shows you the exact motor that you are replacing.

Kevin

recumbent615

OK Folks - Weather broke today and it was in the 50s and my replacement part arrived yesterday - I'm quite disappointed in the part that was sent.... It looks fine and it appears to be a quality part - but it seems to lacks the power to retract the awning. I have not pulled it apart again to diagnose the situation but wanted to post this update today. I will have to wait for the next break in weather since it is going to get very very cold here this coming week ( starting tomorrow ) so I will update with what I find. I will attempt to add grease to the gears and verify that I have the gears correctly aligned - but I doubt that is the issue since there is no pay in the bolts that hold the motor on. If anyone has any thoughts any and all ideas are welcome...

Kevin

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Kevin, are you sure there's nothing binding in the awning arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Ok folks,

I thought I would provide an update since it got real cold here in NE after I did the replacement of the Motor - I can not find any binding or other issues with the Awning at all. It simply appears that the motor does not have the power to retract the awning - and it extends the awning slower than the OEM version. I'm going to say that I may have a BAD rebuild here and I will go get another one and verify. That is the only thing I can think to do at this point. since power to the motor just a change in polarity is what makes to motor go in or out, it should not be an issue of connectors and I tested the connections as well and all seem to be tight ...

wdk450

Kevin:
Just to be sure, since you have a mystery going on, you might want to check the actual voltage at the motor when running the motor (if this can be done) to verify there are no voltage drops in the wiring. 1st step would be take a voltage check across the battery when the motor is actuated, and note that value. Next make your motor voltage measurement with the motor actuated. You may have to run little 22 guage temporary " measurement" wires from the motor to the DVM. If your motor voltage is low, you have a bad connection in the wiring.

recumbent615

Kevin:
Just to be sure, since you have a mystery going on, you might want to check the actual voltage at the motor when running the motor (if this can be done) to verify there are no voltage drops in the wiring. 1st step would be take a voltage check across the battery when the motor is actuated, and note that value. Next make your motor voltage measurement with the motor actuated. You may have to run little 22 guage temporary " measurement" wires from the motor to the DVM. If your motor voltage is low, you have a bad connection in the wiring.

Bill, I will throw a meter on it today - and test it with a direct connection from a set of jumper cables from the TV. not that I want there to be a wiring issue but it will be good to eliminate that as an issue for sure.

porthole

Retired
Kevin, there should be two terminals on the housing that you can direct wire to test. One of the procedures documented in the past was the ability to use a cordless drill battery to roll up your awning when the trailer battery is dead. My trailer came with a wire harness and clips to enable this.

Bobby A

I realize that this is an old thread and the discussion is related to the Carefree electric awning. I thought by now someone might have found a replacement motor for the Dometic series awnings? This evening I went to put the awning out after a bad rain storm this afternoon/evening and hitting the switch the awning didn't move, I did hear a kinda click sound coming from the motor. I kept rocking the switch back and forth and finally got the awning to extend. So I'm not sure if my motor is going bad or maybe water from the rain got into the motor connection ?? Does anyone have a replacement motor part number either a Dometic part number or a window motor that someone had found that works on Dometic Awnings ?? Also, someone mentioned in this thread about something to prevent moisture from entering the connection, what would that be and where would I find it ?? I just replaced the switch a few weeks back so I know its not the switch. I appreciate any help, Thanks, Bobby A

wdk450

I realize that this is an old thread and the discussion is related to the Carefree electric awning. I thought by now someone might have found a replacement motor for the Dometic series awnings? This evening I went to put the awning out after a bad rain storm this afternoon/evening and hitting the switch the awning didn't move, I did hear a kinda click sound coming from the motor. I kept rocking the switch back and forth and finally got the awning to extend. So I'm not sure if my motor is going bad or maybe water from the rain got into the motor connection ?? Does anyone have a replacement motor part number either a Dometic part number or a window motor that someone had found that works on Dometic Awnings ?? Also, someone mentioned in this thread about something to prevent moisture from entering the connection, what would that be and where would I find it ?? I just replaced the switch a few weeks back so I know its not the switch. I appreciate any help, Thanks, Bobby A

Bobby:
I found the Carefree TravelR Awning Service Manual here on this website under the "Tools" tab at the top of any forum page. Then follow the sub-menus through "Manuals", Exterior, Awnings, to the Carefree TravelR Awning Service manual. Here is a direct link: http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...efree 052540-301r5 TravelR Service Manual.pdf

Page 7 of the manual details how to tell if your Awning is Series I or Series II (The parts are different), and how to change out the motor. The parts list is on Pages 20 and 21.

I hope this helps you!!!

On edit:
I did some more websearching and came up with this motor as a possible replacement. See the user comments:
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-742-141-Window-Lift-Motor/dp/B001KQ43SS
Also check out this Heartland Owners thread, first post: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/42957-Carefree-Travel-r-Electric-Awning-Motor-Repair

Bobby A

Bobby:
I found the Carefree TravelR Awning Service Manual here on this website under the "Tools" tab at the top of any forum page. Then follow the sub-menus through "Manuals", Exterior, Awnings, to the Carefree TravelR Awning Service manual. Here is a direct link: http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...efree 052540-301r5 TravelR Service Manual.pdf

Page 7 of the manual details how to tell if your Awning is Series I or Series II (The parts are different), and how to change out the motor. The parts list is on Pages 20 and 21.

I hope this helps you!!!

On edit:
I did some more websearching and came up with this motor as a possible replacement. See the user comments:
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-742-141-Window-Lift-Motor/dp/B001KQ43SS
Also check out this Heartland Owners thread, first post: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/42957-Carefree-Travel-r-Electric-Awning-Motor-Repair

Thanks for your time looking that all up, but my awning is a Dometic A/E not a Carefree.